Sign in to follow this  
chris525i

Hey everyone.

Chris here, been a member for quite some time now, however haven't really been active. 

Have recently purchased a 2005 530i.

Interested to find out what can really be done using I drive. And how to get Bluetooth and/or a bigger screen.

IMG_20170121_225044_592.jpg

20170121_182819.jpg

• Like 2

Looks good, just joined and bought an 04 E60 too. i drive just looks like a fancy way of doing stuff all other cars do in some way or another. Although with the DVD I think it has Sat Nav. Is getting Sat Nav DVD off trademe all that's required to get up and running on I drive.

Keen to try and get Aux and or Blue tooth too, will be keeping an eye on here to see how you go.

Hey fellow E60 owners and congrats on your purchases :)

Chris - like the aftermarket alloys and understated body kit.

• I-Drive - if your car is a jap import and you want NZ Nav then typically you will need a conversion job done (with hardware changes) by someone like EuroSurgeon - it's not just a case of getting the local DVD. I got my radio localised by recoding (cheap) and had the Nav done and all up it cost $750 from memory. The Nav is Ok but won't be as up to date as your phone. Not long after I had mine done the whole computer died - it looks like the cooling unit on the back of it had not be refitted - either by EuroSurgeon or by the muppet (previous owner/car yard presumably) who tried to fit a band expander. Luckily I had AutoSure Extreme cover and the failure was covered - otherwise it would have been best part of $2K for replacement and fitting/recoding. So - just be careful and if you don't need the Nav then maybe don't worry about it. After getting the unit replaced by Autosure via Jeff Gray BMW I only had the radio re-code done and left the Nav as I didn't want anything more to go wrong. A replacement I-Drive will match the car original spec - Japanese!!!
  • OEM Bluetooth kits work well but are ~$1K so I've never bothered with that - have a Bluetooth visor unit that I can switch between my 2 BMWs :) Much cheaper and works fine.
  • If you don't have a service history showing coolant and oil seal stuff being sorted then be prepared for a bunch of stuff possibly. Don't know how different this is for a 530i. Usually no expensive parts involved but can be a lot of labour changing oil seals in difficult places. The cars might be solid but the plastic and rubber in them just doesn't last more than 10 years.
  • Highly recommend having a Mechanical Breakdown Insurance policy on your vehicles -  I have them on both and they have easily paid for themselves within the first year of ownership- which is good (and bad). You can buy policies for vehicles you already own from MTA Mount Victoria - Jono.White@mtf.co.nz or 027 22 44 295.
  • I do wish the V8 had a better exhaust note but sorting that properly with a performance exhaust would be an investment I don't want to make after what I've spent on the car. Sam - glad I've warned you off the muffler delete - I'm sure it could be done with better results using a dual pipe approach rather than the dumb basic single pipe PitStop did for me but overall it was just *horrible*.

Overall I love my E60 - the lines, the cabin quality, stereo quality, space and the performance when you give it some welly. After driving @treone's M5 (wow!) I seriously intend to get an M5 but need to own my 545i for a while longer to make sense of what I've spent in getting it sorted.

Anyway - enjoy your E60s!

Pete

• Like 4