Sign in to follow this  
ZCoupe

E86 Z4 Stereo upgrade options?

I've seen a bluetooth adaptor which can attach to the wiring loom in the boot. But wondering if anyone else has any other option they recommend i consider?

What do you want out of a stereo?

Sound quality / volume / features / connectivity / gps etc etc etc

If you can be more specific we can help you better

Hi, all i really want is to be able to connect my iphone to the existing stereo either by cable or bluetooth. Better yet would be to be able to use the steering wheel mounted controls to change song/volume on the phone. I suspect i could get a mounting kit and replace the original stereo but prefer to leave the car original if possible (and the sound fom the 'business' stereo is fine). I've thought about taking the car to a car stereo company to fit an aux input but worried they will do a rush job drilling holes in the dash etc....I did see a aux mounting kit that looked ok that fits into the ashtray/power socket area. Any suggestions appreciated.

Denison is another brand to consider. Gives you iPhone control , a USB input and an extra aux plus the usual Bluetooth streaming. If you add a mic it will also give you hands free calling via factory controls.

Otherwise get the aux ashtray option which means no holes to drill.

eg https://www.amazon.com/BMW-Auxiliary-Audio-Input-2005-2008/dp/B004QD89GE

Late to the party on this - how did you get on?

I fitted the Dension 300 to my E85 and it works a treat - integrates witht the Satnav to show track listings, search etc, but it's a bit of a steep learning curve. the 300 doesn't have bluetooth as there seems to be some confusion on the website as to whether or not it integrates with the Z4 or not. Personally I can't see why it wouldn't work, especially if you don't have the DSP stereo (which from your description, you don't).

Stupid question maybe, but have you checked the bottom panel at the centre of the dash for an Aux input. Seems most E85 facelifts and E86's have this fitted as standard, and if not, it's an easy retrofit, but not as useful as the Dension or Grom kits (especially if you have a MFSW, the Aux input won't let you control anything from the steering wheel)