Sign in to follow this  
Joel61

Pinout for steering wheel wiring/controls?

Does anyone have a pinout for steering wheel wiring/controls inside of the actual wheel?

What I am looking for is a power source anywhere from 5v to 12v. It can be accessory or constant, it doesn't really matter too much.
As you can see in the picture there are 2 connectors, I'm not sure what one of the 2 connectors has a power source and I don't really want to prod around too much with the battery connected as I don't want to accidentally set off the airbag, hence why I am looking for a pinout or somone who knows what's what in there haha.

The car is a 2002 E46 330ci
Here is the image from inside of mine:
CdnPgxd.png

Why do I want this? Well it will all be explain in a write up when I finish this little project.

Edited by Joel61

this whole thing is called volute spring (I01002, X01003). Best to look up the pinout at http://www.bmw-planet.net/diagrams/release/us/e46/index.htm

Essentially, the left plug feeds the airbag, the right one (blue,grey, wht, red) the cruise control buttons. You might have to tap into the green main connector that plugs in from behind the wheel (X10170). Good luck.

1.png