Sign in to follow this  
charles28

E60 530i N52 Raw Fuel Smell

After a drive I park the car in the garage and close the door, if I go back out to the garage later on I can smell raw fuel.

I have not noticed the smell inside the car at all.. the fuel cap could be to blame? it seems too easy to open when its done up and clicks.. but maybe its meant to be easy to open.

Any common causes? i thought about that filter that you can access under the rear seat.. it has a metal cap over it, so could prevent the smell entering the cabin perhaps.

Follow your nose.  Could either be fuel filler cap, injector o-rings or leaking fuel hoses.

You COULD try spraying a small amount of carb cleaner at each of the injectors using the plastic tube nozzle and on a cold engine to see if theres a change in idle speed.  Try keep it away from your exhaust manifold.

That metal plate under the rear seat will be your fuel pump and possibly your secondary fuel level sender unit if there's another plate on the other side.

I took the Metal Plate off the left side rear seat and found this. 

fuelleak.png

• Like 2

Gosh I love how cheeky and characterful BMWs are, always finding entertaining ways to require money wasted fixing factory cockups more maintenance. What is it, the main o-ring?

• Like 2

Today marks 10 days since I took this to the mechanic to get this fuel leak issue repaired, they had parts arrive for it 2-3 days ago, but the wrong ones were sent (fittings were wrong) and now its waiting for an air freight shipment (another 1-2 weeks). (the warranty company wouldn't pay for genuine parts) .

The new parts are coming from a place called http://www.speed.co.nz/page.php?pid=33 who claim to use parts that are of OE quality.

I still don't understand why they need to replace the actual fuel pump, as the left (where I took the pic from) is a fuel filter of sorts, not the actual pump.. but who knows, because I have a warranty and the dealer I purchased the car from is paying the excess I left it to them to sort out.

Its a good thing the old Audi S6 hasn't sold.. as without it i'd be walking to work :)

Turns out they only replaced the filter/sender unit not the actual fuel pump, had the car back a week now, smells really strongly of fuel inside since I got it back, i guess they let fuel spray everywhere when they replaced the part..  even leaving the windows down in the garage for days, then driving the car and leaving it locked at work for the day, you get back in and it stinks bad... idiots.. wish i had just fixed it myself, i would have de-pressurized the pump, or covered everything so that this didn't happen..

You should not be smelling fuel at all. I suspect it is still leaking. I suggest you take it back and get them to recheck everything.