Sign in to follow this  
Matth5

Anyone running Apex wheels?

I've been eyeing up the Arc-8 wheels for a while. They just look so good on the E92s, especially the concave profile ones.

If anyone in Auckland has them in "Hyper Black" I'd love to see them, want to see what this colour looks like in person. Seems to have an almost pearlescent effect where it transitions from silver to black. I'll get that or silver.

There's the local group that resells them, speedfactor.co.nz, I've emailed them for a quote but haven't heard back yet. 
The Apex website gives me a quote of $588.44 for shipping, which is half of what a set of wheels costs. I've asked if they have other shipping options.

Currently have factory 19s (style 225). Want 18s (maybe even 17s) for the cheaper tyres, smoother ride could be a bonus. 

Apex guys gave me these recommendations for fitment, I'll likely go with the staggered option:

18" Staggered:
F: 18x9" ET30 (Profile 3) - 235/40-18
R: 18x9.5" ET35 (Profile 3) - 265/35-18
18" Square:
F: 18x9" ET30 (Profile 3) - 255/35-18
These will all be a direct fit on a couple/convertible and look great! Some customers do want to run their OEM 225/255 tires, and those would work fine as well. They will be a touch stretched, but nothing significant.

Also, has anyone got advice on other ways I could get them shipped over here for a good price, if I order direct from Apex?

Her's a link to a Google image search, if you want to see what these look like:
https://www.google.co.nz/search?q=apex+arc+8+e92&espv=2&biw=1773&bih=1290&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiE3I_t-__RAhUBs5QKHYtpC3kQ_AUIBigB

My current style 225s:

style 225.jpg

Edited by Matth5

Thanks for the suggestion.

I took an estimate of each wheel being in a 50x50x30cm box and roughly 15kg each.
Youshop is $160 per wheel which is $640 (Edit: 9-14 day deliver cuts costs down to 120x4=$480)
Kiwishipping is about the same for air, but sea freight estimates it at $222, which is much better.

Apex says they can ship on a "pallet via freight" (I guess sea freight), but I have to order 2 sets of wheels. It'll be $748.11
Don't know why USA companies insist on using stupidly expensive shipping methods...

Kiwishipping is looking like a good option so far. 

Edited by Matth5

No worries and, yes I should have added that I meant sea freight. I thought You Shop offered sea also but perhaps not. 

Kiwi Shipping (Mainfreight) screwed up once for me but made it right without argument and have been fine subsequently. 

• Like 1

Hmm I suppose I'd better get myself a customs Client Code. Did a bit of reading and it's required for anything over $1k.

Chasing up speedfactor.co.nz for a quote again, because they still haven't replied. 

9 hours ago, Matth5 said:

Hmm I suppose I'd better get myself a customs Client Code. Did a bit of reading and it's required for anything over $1k.

Chasing up speedfactor.co.nz for a quote again, because they still haven't replied. 

I have a Client Code your more than welcome to use, I might be keen on getting a set as well. Maybe we could try get somewhat of a Group buy going?

Hmm yes that's a idea. Speedfactor are doing up a quote for me, they'd need to order them in as they don't have what I want in stock. They might be able to get a better rate if they bring in a lot of stuff from the US. 
Maybe Speedfactor can also get a better deal if we both order. Do you know exactly what spec wheels you want?

Also Apex just told me the box dimensions, this is for 18inch Arc-8 wheels:
"The dimensions for the boxes are (x2) 21x21x23mm and weigh 50lbs. "

Edited by Matth5

Hey guys

Keep the updates coming, I may also be interested 

If you guys are interested in turning it into a group buy sort of deal, let me know your desired wheel specs and I'll get some quotes? 

Speedfactor tell me they actually import about 50 wheels from Apex at a time, via sea freight. They sell heaps of them. So it might actually be quite economical to order from them.
I'll hopefully get a quote for 1 set tomorrow. They don't usually sell the specs and colour I'm after so they need some time for the quote. 

Cool, I've asked Speedfactor to do up a quote on those as well. Let's see what we get. 

36 minutes ago, Matth5 said:

Cool, I've asked Speedfactor to do up a quote on those as well. Let's see what we get. 

Cool, Hopefully we get a decent price. :) 

PM'ed the quotes to SweetM3 and BatmansWilly.

Let me know if you'd be in for those prices.

Qube, assume you want two of each?

He wasn't clear if there's a discount if we do as a group buy though, seemed to be regular quotes. They actually seem like good prices compared to importing them ourselves though.

Speedfactor are based in Tauranga BTW. They'd need to ship from there.

I imagine shipping from there isn't cheap. If any of you guys can arrange something, it might save us a bit. 

For anyone wondering what to expect, prices from Speedfactor work out pretty close to what you'd pay if you organised your own sea freight from the USA. Cheaper in some cases. So they're pretty good.

If anyone else reading this is keen just email them direct and tell them Matthew from Auckland referred you. Think it's simpler for them that way. 

Qube, I haven't got the price on the 19s just yet. Will PM you when I've got it.

• Like 1

Bad new for you Qube :(

"The 19’s are out of stock in that colour for fronts but they have the 19x9.5’s
Apex have just been explaining the very poor sales of the 19’s are they probably wont be redoing them in that size.
The 17 and 18” market is still by far there target area."

If you're still interested, email the Speedfactor guys, they seem pretty good to deal with.
Just tell them I referred you and you're the guy that wanted the 19s. If you're really keen for that colour maybe just order silver and get someone in NZ to re-finish them. Will probably be expensive though. 

I'm going ahead with my order...

Found this pic of a black M3 with similar setup (just wider), which has me thinking I'm making the right choice

20140605_165235.jpg

• Like 2

On 16/02/2017 at 1:16 PM, Matth5 said:

Bad new for you Qube :(

If you're still interested, email the Speedfactor guys, they seem pretty good to deal with.
Just tell them I referred you and you're the guy that wanted the 19s. If you're really keen for that colour maybe just order silver and get someone in NZ to re-finish them. Will probably be expensive though. 

I'm going ahead with my order...

Found this pic of a black M3 with similar setup (just wider), which has me thinking I'm making the right choice

20140605_165235.jpg

100% your making the right choice they look soooo sexy. What size wheels did you end up getting? 

• Like 1

I'm going with the staggered setup that Apex recommended me:
18" Staggered:

So I'm hoping it looks like it does on that M3. 

ETA is about 6-8 weeks. In the meantime, I'll keep an eye out for a good deal on tyres to fit them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Matth5 said:

I'm going with the staggered setup that Apex recommended me:
18" Staggered:

So I'm hoping it looks like it does on that M3. 

ETA is about 6-8 weeks. In the meantime, I'll keep an eye out for a good deal on tyres to fit them.

Nice! You will have to upload some photos when you get them on the car. What tyres are you looking at?

Michelin P4s hits the USA in March.

Get those fitted before shipping as  save some $$$

btw choice of good 235/40/18s , 265/3518s tyres very limited in NZ. Only tyres I could find locally where Pzeros , Re003 and RS3 semi slicks. I'd be inclined to see if Apex can ship with tyres mounted if those three don't suite.

Hmm don't believe Apex would do that...

I'll see, would consider used if I find something good. The RE003 should be good? Had the RE002's on my E46 328i and those seemed good, obviously that car didn't put down nearly as much power though so i don't know hopw well they will cope on a 335i.

I really like the Goodyear eagle F1 AS2s I have now but thepr prices have shot up and they even seem to be over $500 each in 18 inch.

tirerack.com (US) has Pzeros at $200 per tyre! If I can ship those over at a good price maybe I'll get them. 
Compared to Hyperdrive.co.nz selling them at over $500 each, LOL pathetic :D

Does anyone do decent tyre prices in NZ? I once got lucky and got 19 inch Goodyear Eagle F1 AS2 for $290 each for my fronts, but now they're over $500 everywhere. Surely if someone bulk ordered and brought them on a ship they could sell them at a decent price...

Edited by Matth5

Got both re11 and PSS via tire rack in those sizes. Roughly $2.2k for the set with shipping and gst.

Pitty the Re11 has become export controlled. Best tyre Ive had on the M3 thus far. Bridgestone NZ don't stock these anymore. Tried to get a set last year from tirerack 

Might pay to double check on Apex fitting tyres. I though they offered this service when their annual group buys came up on e46fanatics and m3forum forums.

Plenty of people like the re003s btw. Think Bridgestone is running 35% off at the moment.