Sign in to follow this  
Matth5

Anyone running Apex wheels?

Stumbled upon Tyretech on Trademe, in the North Shore. They actually gave a pretty decent quote

"The Pirelli PZero at $1650, The Michelin pilot sport 4 at $1499 or The Goodyear Asymetric 3 at $1450.
This price is for 2 fronts and 2 backs inclusive of fitting and balancing and gst"

That's not a bad price on the PS4 I think? I think I'll go for that. Maybe a couple hundred more than importing them myself, but much more convenient. 

I'll just have to drive all the way there from Botany with the Apex wheels in the car, then drive back with the old wheels + tyres packed in...

Will be interesting to see how those compare with my Goodyear Eagle F1 AS2s.

Edited by Matth5

On 17/02/2017 at 5:13 PM, Matth5 said:

F: 18x9" ET30 (Profile 3) - 235/40-18
R: 18x9.5" ET35 (Profile 3) - 265/35-18

Are those prices for these sizes?

If so then all three are good deals. Nice find.

Go to Tirepro in barry's point road. Owned by the old workshop manager of tiretech Justine.  Real pricing.

On 2/25/2017 at 0:42 PM, M3AN said:

Are those prices for these sizes?

If so then all three are good deals. Nice find.

Yes, full set in those sizes :)

@Hybrid: Thanks, I'll try them too.

Edit: Their pricing was pretty similar. Although they did have a cheaper option:

DUNLOP SPORT MAXX 050+ $1200
GOODYEAR EAGLE F1 ASY 3 $1550
MICHELIN PILOT SPORT 4 $1600

Not sure how those Dunlops compared to the others, will need to research.
Justin did try steer me away from RE003's, saying "I think the Re003’s will let you down compared to the F1 Assymetric 3’s".

Edited by Matth5

Hyperdrive.co.nz, which generally has the worst prices ever, has a decent special on currently - buy 4 tyres get one free.

So I've just ordered a full set of PS4 including fitting + balancing for $1347.

:)

• Like 2

They have arrived! Sure do look pretty in person, Hyper Black was definitely the right choice :)

Will get tyres mounted and fit them on the car on Saturday.

Crappy photo attached. Leaning against the new intercooler...

IMG_20170427_184311.jpg

Edited by Matth5
  • Like 2

Purty! They are a total copy of the RC but hey, I reckon that's perfection!

Now replace those Apex caps with BMW ones.

• Like 1

Got them fitted. Smoother ride going from 19 inch to 18s. Think I can up the stiffness on my coilovers a tad now. 

The rears rub on some bumps and dibs, makes a nasty sound. Seems to be the outer edge touching the inside of the rear fender. Need a touch of camber or ride height increase there I think. Having the old wheels, tyres and new intercooler sitting in the car probably didn't help with that though.

Happy with the look, fitment looks how I want it to look :)

And I had them pop in the BMW caps rather than the Apex ones

IMG_20170429_130626.jpg

IMG_20170429_133612.jpg

IMG_20170429_130619.jpg

• Like 3

Just stumbled upon this thread now but those look great!! I've seen them on an E36 and they look just as nice. Good choice :D

The tyres are probably a bit fat considering the lowisg offset making it rub. Maybe a slight guardroll will help if you dont want to raise the height. Looks good anyway!

Good suggestion!

An online tyre size calculator shows the difference is pretty small, so whatever option I go with, it should only need a very minor adjustment.

Tyre specs.JPG

Edited by Matth5

Stuck some masking tape in the fenders and took some hard corners - I probably looked like a kid trying to drift and failing.

Only had a little rub in right rear, it didn't even tear off the tape, just left black marks.

Obviously the car needed an alignment if only one is rubbing. So I took it in for an alignment, they dialed in a little more rear camber and adjusted toe. Should be fine now :)

Edited by Matth5

The alignment specs I ended up with. More toe and -ve camber at the rear. Hope I don't lose the nice even tyre wear I had in the past with this.

IMG_20170508_191919.jpg

Thats a lot of toe. Camber on its own doesn't wear the tyre unevenly, its camber combined with toe.

On my e46 i get no toe up front, and a tiny amount of toe in the rear, and as much camber as possible front and rear with the stock adjustments.

Don't know about the newer BMW's but for my e36 this set up is a good compromise between performance and tire wear.

Front:

Camber: -2.0 to -2.5 deg (per side)

Toe: 0.10 to 0.20 deg total toe in.

Rear:

Camber: -1.5 to -2.0 deg (per side)

Toe: 0.20 deg total toe in.

I am happy with this set up. It feels nice and responsive on the back roads but dose't kill my tires, mind you the burnouts don't help with tire wear :P

• Like 1