Sign in to follow this  
aja540i

possessed e36!

So, this afternoon my e36 developed all of the electrical gremlins !

Radio turned off, then on, then off, then on etc

ABS light started flickering then came on, then went off then flickered etc

indicators (yes, i use them!) blinking at weird speeds and speeding up when i put the brakes on

When i turned on the heater fan the dash died, when i turned off the fan the dash lived again

brake fluid warning light came on

car ran perfectly the whole time, but when i got home the window height had reset so it thought it was up but it wasn't

any ideas, experiences, random suggestions (preferably related to the issue, but i'm not precious!) ??

car is 94 NZ new PFL 318is coupe, ignition switch was new a year ago and battery is ok as far as i know....

loose battery terminal , main earth straps etc ?

after some investigationing with my trusty multimeter, the battery looks a bit sad (11.6V) but since it just had a 20min run down the motorway i suspect the alternator is not doing what i pay it to do, so there are my plans for the weekend!

34 minutes ago, aja540i said:

after some investigationing with my trusty multimeter, the battery looks a bit sad (11.6V) but since it just had a 20min run down the motorway i suspect the alternator is not doing what i pay it to do, so there are my plans for the weekend!

yea should be around 13.6 to 13.8v when running

That's all normal.

You just need to pay your gremlin tax to keep them away a little longer.

• Like 3

Had a similar issue in my e36. After about 20 mins of running weird sh*t like you describe started happening. Turned the car off, went to restart, no joy new battery was dead. Recharged the batt and checked the battery terminals after a quick 10 min drive and they were getting less than 12volts, Getting just under 14volts when car is first started however. New (to the car) alternator installed and I get just over 14volts at the terminals even after a long drive.

New battery in, 14.14 volts at terminals with engine running,  all wierd stuff stopped!