Sign in to follow this  
TermiPeteNZ

1993 E36 M3 buy now $18K

http://www.trademe.co.nz/a.aspx?id=1259904144

223KMs and looks pretty tidy. Beautifully restored leather!!!!

Rubbish pictures tho :{

What is with the frequent use of 'unmolestered' on TradeMe?

Love the predictions 'My prediction is the price will double at least in the next year!' - a bit like Carlsberg's ads eh? (Probably the best beer in the world ...'

537724513.jpg

537724918.jpg

541270713.jpg

555068849.jpg

I wonder how long that leather will stay in that condition. It was pretty bad before hand, worse than my leather, and the pros said that they wouldnt guarantee the color dye would last on mine.

2 hours ago, KwS said:

I wonder how long that leather will stay in that condition. It was pretty bad before hand, worse than my leather, and the pros said that they wouldnt guarantee the color dye would last on mine.

Yeah. And it won't be dyed, it will be painted.

I can attest that when i got mine in 2001 (?) the leather (Lotus White) looked like that. Little did I know it had been "restored" and a few years later it looked terrible again. And that was on 6 year old seats. These are 23 year old seats! Unless it's new leather they'll look awful again soon.

And 18k? Holy crap, what is mine worth???

there is an exception to that story, Dave.  Professional leather restoration by practicioners like European Leather Care in Wellington.  Important thing is that after restoration, leather is maintained. Denim (our commonly worn jeans) are hell for leather, protection and cleaning and re-nourishing is needed.

http://europeanleathercare.co.nz/dt_portfolio/classic-bmw-635-csi-restored/ 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, M3AN said:

And 18k? Holy crap, what is mine worth???

Being a noob around M3 prices - is $18K too much, or too little?

Fair enough @Olaf, I'm happy with that. Presumably it's leather off and big, big $ to properly restore it though? 

And @TermiPeteNZ I'm not sure really what they're worth. I personally wouldn't have listed this car for as much as 15-18 but then I was told the other day that I'd be mad to accept less than 20 for mine. That seems an awful lot to me. 

Edited by M3AN

My M3 was nicer than that one, and less KM, a service history, and i had trouble selling it for $12k a couple of years ago. Prices on good E36 M3s seem to be on the rise, but thats getting damn close to E46 M3 money.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, M3AN said:

Yeah. And it won't be dyed, it will be painted. 

I recently recoloured the grey leather in my son's E30. 

Researched the subject & came up with Paul Ford Leather down in Timaru. Spoke to him & soon realised he knew what he was talking about. He was originally from Auckland but "saw the light". Has been in the game for years & lives/breathes leather restoration. Sent a headrest for a sample, perfect match of product came back, including required preps/conditioners & instruction for cleaning/stripping the original colour back to raw leather then applying the recolour & sealers. They came up great. He recommends for an even more durable finish to spray a specially modified product on - i used a wipe on which fits the purpose. Thoroughly recommend him - is always ready to help. 

Not a paint as such. More dye like in character. Apparently the same product as what the tanneries use. Sprayed on as is his recommendation.

The original colour is more paint like in characteristic too. Meths is used to strip the original colour & the leather is back to its raw state. I was surprised too as I thought the original colour was an actual dye. The colour ingresses  somewhat but basically sits on top.

Well hopefully the seats in the car for sale have been done well and last for a long time. They look fantastic. 

11 hours ago, KwS said:

My M3 was nicer than that one, and less KM, a service history, and i had trouble selling it for $12k a couple of years ago. Prices on good E36 M3s seem to be on the rise, but thats getting damn close to E46 M3 money.

Suspect you may have an appreciating classic now :)

I sold it to another member a couple of years ago. Now i own an actual classic car.

On 11/02/2017 at 10:06 PM, KwS said:

I see yours around Auckland -  Still looks in good nick. Front bumper mesh has been removed and some backyard-special splitter bolted on, and some stupid JDM tow hook hanging out the front, but aside from that it still looks and sounds in decent condition.

• Like 1

Just looked at the other thread and old TradeMe listing  - here's the 'before' picture of the seats... dramatic change for sure. Do like E36 M3s ....

541269966.jpg

• Like 1

Seats will look like that ^ again in 2 years or less.