Sign in to follow this  
e46exy

E46 318CI Forced Induction???

I have a E46 318CI (M43B19) engine & I was wondering if anyone has done any Forced Induction modifications to this engine? Turbo or Supercharger? I found a youtube vid that shows that someone has done it but it wasn't infortmative it was just for show.

I know some people are probably going to say its not worth it due to being a small engine but the car has sentimental value to me so I am willing to try do it despite power limitations. It won't be the fastest E46 but I want a bit more out of it.

Any other modifications other than Forced Induction will be helpful too.

Not really worth it... Not because of the engine size, but because of the engine design. You can turbo it but it doesn't respond particularly well to that.
The M43 is a solid, reliable, economical and simple engine but doesn't really tune in the same way the M42 or even M40 (for example) does.

Crunchy knocked up a M42 turbo which was a success by most accounts - more power, and more economy. Have a look here.

14 hours ago, gjm said:

Not really worth it... Not because of the engine size, but because of the engine design. You can turbo it but it doesn't respond particularly well to that.
The M43 is a solid, reliable, economical and simple engine but doesn't really tune in the same way the M42 or even M40 (for example) does.

Crunchy knocked up a M42 turbo which was a success by most accounts - more power, and more economy. Have a look here.

Oh yup I see. I saw his post it looks really good even for a workshop hack haha What about other mods such as largers cams for example & ITB's? I saw a few modified M43's with street stage cams & ITB's which looks like it could give it a bit more. I'm just looking for something to make my car go a bit harder than what it is now

1 hour ago, thorburn said:

How much do you want to spend?

This is about the size of it. (y)

The M43 makes about 115hp.
The M42 and M44 make 140hp. Getting that 30% increase from the M43 is likely to cost as much as replacing the engine... And either the M42 or M44 will then tune well beyond that 140.

The problem with the M43 is it's design, especially the cylinder head. Getting more air and fuel in there requires some fairly serious work, work that's done for you in the M42/4.

like the M43, and have daily driven one for a few months. It's a good engine.

Have a chat to James (thorburn). He'll probably have some ideas that may help, but his question, and "how much [more] power do you want?" will be determining factors.

3 hours ago, thorburn said:

How much do you want to spend?

Im willing to spend/save whats necessary for what I need. If changing the engine to a M42 or M44, would that cost me the same amount as upgrading the M43 meaning it'll be better ? 

Edited by e46exy