Sign in to follow this  
WYZEUP

Cooling system bleeding issue

So i am getting to the end of my build. Well im hoping......

So i have pieced the cooling system all together, custom alloy expansion tank, feeding into the rear crossover pipe, z3m radiator, 80 degree thermostat, everything was new when i put the motor back together.

Motor is a m60b40.

Have filled coolant from tank and once thermostat opens blows water out like a whales blow hole.

Tried filling from the top radiator hose and blowing onto the top hose to try and remove air....still does is.

Checked thermostat vent is at top put all back together, filled through reservoir, blew through feed tube from radiator to resesrvoir still a lot of pressure.

Is only when thermostat is open?

Anyone had experience with m60 cooling systems? i dont want to think the worst of it being a headgasket, there doesnt seem to be any mixing of oil & water but im also no mechanic....

if anyone could shed some light would be a massive help, is one of the last hurdles before i can start test driving.

Edited by WYZEUP

It has been suggested to me to remove thermostat and check system condition that way as well?

So removed the thermostat and ran the vehicle up, not until it gets to half way on the gauge does it push a whole lot of water and air out???? so im lost......

It has been suggested cracked head???

Anyone have any insight? or just still not bleeding properly

Pretty sure that's normal?  If it is at operating temperature and you have the expansion cap off the system isn't retaining pressure so the coolant is effectively boiling. 

make sure you have the bleed screw open while filling the system so the air can come out .

also squeeze the hoses to pump air out at the same time.

sometimes I use the pressure from the garden hose to force the air out

then start the engine when cold and squeeze air out while its running then refit the rad cap.

double check the level when cold

I was wondering if it could possibly be normal. The water is reaching almost 100 degrees by that stage.

being an m60 it doesn't have a bleed screw, I wish it was that easy.

am running a custom expansion tank in the battery tray (e30)

I was getting mine up to temperature the other day with the cap off while bleeding and it did the same thing.  Some very large bubbles came from the bottom of the reservoir (a bit like the bubbles you get at the hot mud pools).  I've performed a few teekay block tests and detected no exhaust gasses and compression is 179 - 181 across the board.

Sounds very similar to mine so may seem that the problem i am having isnt actually a problem. I havent put coolant in yet as i dont want to be wasting coolant spilling it all over the place haha.

So think i will just put it all back together and fill with coolant and test the system out properly. fingers crossed.

I've been throwing in the cheap Warehouse pre-mix stuff while I work on the car, once everything's sweet then i'll flush and put in some better stuff.  

Am going to teekay test the vehicle tonight and see how it goes, but after a lot of reading what i am seeing is the water beginning to boil because the system is no longer pressurised.

Seal it up and try it is the only way.

The issue I'm having is the cooling system is staying pressurized after cooling down.  Ends up barfing a couple hundred ml of coolant out when I pull the expansion cap.  I'm about to change the cap and check the thermostat, but thinking I may have a small leak at the heater core allowing a bit of air into the system.  I still have that thought in the back of my mind that there's a head gasket breach that won't show up on a comp or block test.

Edited by Massnz

3 hours ago, WYZEUP said:

Am going to teekay test the vehicle tonight and see how it goes, but after a lot of reading what i am seeing is the water beginning to boil because the system is no longer pressurised.

Seal it up and try it is the only way.

If you're getting up to 100c it will start to boil with no cap.

Id just run it untill it starts to get warm / just before its starting to blow it out and shut it off. Put the cap on and let it cool right down and check the level, top it up if needed then take it for a run with a close eye on the temp . If it is pressurising it badly because of a hg fault itll likely blow it out the overflow so keep an eye on that.

• Like 1

yeah this is what i think i will do and then assess the situation from there