Sign in to follow this  
GIantic010

Opinion wanted on E87

Hi all. I see there is a few posts regarding this question, but I've been contemplating replacing my 2001 530i with a 130i M sport 2008ish. My wife and I have been thinking about getting a hatch back, and I was hoping to push this vehicle as a viable option as opposed to her more sensible option of a Mazda axela. Has anyone had one? What are the common problems? And, as I haven't had a chance to test drive one yet, will some one who is 6ft6 fit?

Cheers

Buy mine for unlimited test drives :P

I'm a smaller bloke and sit on the floor Chris Harris style with plenty of space all around. At 6ft6 I think you'll be ok up front but there won't be much room in the back seats. For driver leg room you will have to move it back towards the centre of the car where the roof peaks so head space should be ok. 

The 130s have a decent fanbase over in the UK, babybmw forum is worth a browse. The N52B30 and trans seems to be pretty bulletproof and in my research I found the common niggle to be the hydraulic valve adjuster tick.. Doesn't cause any damage to the engine just a bit of an annoyance. Being NA helps with the reliability.

In my bias opinion you would be mad to get the Axela instead. Nothing against the Mazda but the 130 is all-round cracking to drive.. b roads, plenty of grunt for the open road and great as a daily. Would love to get into a 335i wagon.

Any particular reason for looking at the facelift model?

• Like 1

Those engines are the best balance of reliability and performance you can get in a modern BMW IMO. The engines below are only slower, and the turbo engines come with new issues.

Only thing you'll miss compared to your 530i is space, mainly with the back seats. I've heard they are a bit tight in the back for adults.

Definitely test drive to see how comfy you are in one, it'll probably just mean there's no legroom left behind you. 

• Like 1

My 530I is starting to show is age, as it's plastic is starting to crumble, as well a few other little niggles. None of it unreasonable to repair yet. However we decided that the best combo of cars for our life style is one work horse, and one run about. We already have a 2007 Honda Crv, which goes well enough and has good space for those long family road trips with all the kids crap. I guess I'm hoping to justify a 130i as viable option, to avoid ending up with 2 "sensible" cars B-)

If you are 6'6, nobody will be sitting behind you and I would think you'd find it tight for yourself.

Try a Mazda SP25 if room is a criteria. The 1 series are nice to drive, but not if you don't fit.

I'd keep the Honda CRV. You need at least one really reliable car to get you away from the fires down there :P

• Like 2

Don't know why you wouldn't consider a E60/1 530i in the wagon - they can be had for unbelievable money at the moment. Then you have that and the CRV which will both take lots of gear. 

Or just get a Z4. You have one practical vehicle, make the other a fun one.

• Like 1

The 130i is a fantastic little car but might be a little small for you.  CRV + Z4 would be a great option as said above.   

Wife isn't confident driver, and she won't do big cars. And the kids would make a Z4 impractical. Although I do like the hard tops. They look like mini dodge vipers.

Like I said, we decided to get a run about, and I have a short list of cars to try. The criteria is 2007-2010 vintage, for up to $20k with under 100000km, with 4 doors, and more the 2 litre.

The list includes;

Mazda Axela/3

Bmw 1 series

Toyota blade master G ( Not really a serious consideration, but I wanted to try this little 3.5 V6 front wheel drive)

Audi A3

VW Golf

Ford Focus

i am a long bodied 6 3 I had a 120d hatch.Was a wee bit tight to get in and out of,once in you will be ok but the seat will be all the way down aand a long way back.There will be very little room between the back of your seat and the front of the back seat.As a hatch back you wont have anywhere near rhte room of a FWD hatch back.But it is a nice drive,really nice sterring and brakes.A 130 will have plenty of engine too

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 3pedals said:

The 130 E87 is a really nice dynamic little car but too small for a family car , at 1m79  I just fit in the drivers seat comfortably but there is no leg room in the back for my teenage kids. An E36 sedan has more legroom. Later model 1 series are better  otherwise a 3 er is a much better option

At 197cm (for those new age people) most cars I've owned have little to no leg room for anyone behind me. My 530i is the first car I've owned where I don't need to push the seat right back. Ultimately, I just need to get out in one and see how I go.

On 2/17/2017 at 8:39 AM, 3pedals said:

at 1m79  I just fit in the drivers seat comfortably

Funny, I always imagined you being much shorter than that.....

• Like 2

On ‎15‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 10:27 PM, GIantic010 said:

Hi all. I see there is a few posts regarding this question, but I've been contemplating replacing my 2001 530i with a 130i M sport 2008ish. My wife and I have been thinking about getting a hatch back, and I was hoping to push this vehicle as a viable option as opposed to her more sensible option of a Mazda axela. Has anyone had one? What are the common problems? And, as I haven't had a chance to test drive one yet, will some one who is 6ft6 fit?

Cheers

Today I went test driving cars, and I hoped in 2007 120i. As usual, I pushed the seat right back, which seemed a natural fit. There can't of been more than 10 cm between the front of the back and the back of the front. For me, that counts the Bmw out sadly.

On a side note we are looking into 2014ish Ford Focus Sport.

Edited by E30 325i Rag-Top
  • Like 4

17 hours ago, 3pedals said:

The original question was: " will a taller  than average person fit in a smaller than average BMW" 

I currently enjoy a 530i, which I would classify as slightly larger than average car. I didn't really think, at the beginning off this post, that my life story would be required to answer a question of vehicle suitability, so excuse me for omitting a few personal details.

My better half is not a confident driver, and finds larger vehicles intimidating. She enjoys the SUV which makes this statement a little contradictory, but she is a she.

As we live just outside of Christchurch, she commutes daily, and my Bimmer is beginning to show it's age, we are looking at replacing it with something a little more... sensible.

Yesterday, we test drove a 2013 Focus Sport. A tidy mid sized hatch with a modern interior and great feel. It also had adequate space behind a taller than average driver. We've found our car.

However

Research reveals some serious transmission issues with this model. I might have over looked this, but I've also decided I would rather spend a little less on our next vehicle.

I'm eyeballing the Mk5 VW Golf wagon 2.0 as a possibility. I've already driven these in the past.

So, the question now is, turbo, or not.

Edited by E30 325i Rag-Top

Just now, GIantic010 said:

I currently enjoy a 530i, which I would classify as slightly larger than average car. I didn't really think, at the beginning off this post, that my life story would be required to answer a question of vehicle suitability, so excuse me for omitting a few personal details.

My better half is not a confident driver, and finds larger vehicles intimidating. She enjoys the SUV which makes this statement a little contradictory, but she is a she.

As we live just outside of Christchurch, she commutes daily, and my Bimmer is beginning to show it's age, we are looking at replacing it with something a little more... sensible.

Yesterday, we test drove a 2013 Focus Sport. A tidy mid sized hatch with a modern interior and great feel. It also had adequate space behind a taller than average driver. We've found our car.

However

Research reveals some serious transmission issues with this model. I might have over looked this, but I've also decided I would rather spend a little less on our next vehicle.

I'm eyeballing the Mk5 VW Golf wagon 2.0 as a possibility. I've already driven these in the past.

So, the question now is, turbo, or not.

2 things to watch on the Golf - the DSG box, and the high pressure fuel pump, which runs off a lobe on the cam and for some reason wears it's buckets out in less than 80ks, in some cases. The pump is about $800....

And a DSG repair is a bit more.

On 2/19/2017 at 5:13 PM, GIantic010 said:

t. There can't of been more than 10 cm between the front of the back and the back of the front. For me, that counts the Bmw out sadly.

You were warned!Enjoy the Ford!

• Like 1

My brother, a vw car salesman on Melbourne suggested that any car, be it vw, Ford or bmw will have some level of failure rate. And as the number of vehicle required produced increase, the number of potential failures, and unhappy reviews, go up too. I guess any car purchased is a calculated risk.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, GIantic010 said:

My brother, a vw car salesman on Melbourne suggested that any car, be it vw, Ford or bmw will have some level of failure rate. And as the number of vehicle required produced increase, the number of potential failures, and unhappy reviews, go up too. I guess any car purchased is a calculated risk.

have a car spend money and or time....fact of life