Sign in to follow this  
GIantic010

Opinion wanted on E87

Thread tidied up and posts removed.

Apologies, missed that fact that this thread had gone off the rails, mods sleeping on the job again.

• Like 2

The Issues with the golf do need to be looked at.

my "other" cars are VW. One is from the 70's - it's fine. The newer stuff though... the HPFP (High Pressure fuel pump - google it!) MUST be sorted before failure, or you can be up for replacement cams and even more in some cases. The DSG CAN be a major issue, but there are more than 1 type. research what the car you look at has. The 1.4 TSI's have been known to go BANG at times too ;-)

You do hear more horror stories, as production numbers increase, but also the demographics of the owners determine possibly WHY there are failures, but also how much you hear about them.

The major difference is in comparison to the E39, the VW is probably as "troublesome" (at least potentially)... but the parts can be eye watering sometimes!, especially locally. I tend to get the VW bits from overseas, but they still aren't always as "cheap" as the BMW parts I've required.

The technical knowledge and "experimenting" done with the E39 is far higher, and far more in depth than the VW stuff you can find - things like DIY cluster EEPROM programming for the E39 is something I've done, using an online guide. I haven't found quite the same detail for VW stuff - it's often more about air-ride and how to stop your sump tearing off (mostly overseas).

Having said all that, you can't pick a brand and decide they're good. ALL makers have made some dogs, and if you buy the wrong model, it can all go pear shaped ;-)

• Like 1