Sign in to follow this  
Herbmiester

Skoda Octavia TDI

So my wifes company car cane up for renewal and the company politely insisted she take the cash and buy a car. After looking a at 1 and 3 series cars I came across an Octavia at Turners. It was a 2011 1.6TDI with DSG. KM's were higher at 149 but it was NZ new with a service history. Anyway long story short we got it for 7K. It's based on the Mk5 Golf and the chassis is not too bad for a FWD but that little 1.6TDI is a winner. Enough power for daily driving and the DSG is the basic lower torque 7 speed but combined they work really well; you are always in the right gear and the economy is quite amazing. It is a bread and butter car but for 7k I think it's a winner so far. 

make sure you keep the power steering system serviced. My Aunty had one, same year i think a bigger motor than the 1.6 tho?? and the "scout" which is the 4x4 spec. Power steering rack failed out of warranty was moonbeams to repair and they know Gazley personally (i have heard but a few stories lol). car uneconomical to repair so traded in on a Renault badged Nissan. not sure if the Skoda ever went back the road. They did love it when they had it tho

Edited by _ethrty-Andy_
  • Like 1

That's a great little car there, John. was under the impression it has an EPS system for the 1.6?  Cost is about NZD 1500 for the rack alone, before shipping ex uk. 

It just had a service at Gazely so hopefully that was checked. EPS not sure about that, but it does have a particulate filter but as the wife does longer runs it should get hot enough to clean itself. 

The 7 speed DSG was notorious for failure in models of that age, make sure its well serviced!