Sign in to follow this  
thorburn

Bringing parts back from Europe

I'm off to Europe soon for a bit of a trip. Was hoping while I was there that I could pick up some desirable parts eg gearboxes (5 speed zf or 6 speed) and maybe a motor (something that starts with an s) 
Not trying to make a business out of it. Just parts for myself and some mates
Where is the best place to look for parts?
Who is recommended for shipping larger items back? Can I get in on part of a container
What do I need to know about bringing the parts back? taxes etc

Any pointers would be appreciated

I only have experience with the US.

The trick is finding a good forward shipping company.

You pay taxes on the cost of the items, plus the cost of shipping. Be careful here. :)

Having said this, the price difference can be such that paying GST on the item+cost of shipping usually comes out cheaper than buying locally anyway.

EDIT: Note that "cost of shipping" includes cost of any insurance you get as well.

Edited by Gabe79

I'd be keen to figure something out too as I am looking for a manual transmission for an e34, would consider splitting taxes/shipping/freight etc.

Most postal or freight companies will be able to give you a price for an "LCL" = less than container load, so part of a container.

Just be careful on the MAF requirements, wooden pallets have to be marked as being treated, etc. parts should be clean as possible, not dirt, grass, etc. on them.

Any country that has its economy in the toilet at the moment is a good place to look, Greece, Italy, UK, plus lots of parts in Germany!

Good excuse for a holiday in Europe - happy hunting.

• Like 1

I've imported my fair share of car parts(mostly new), but never sent stuff back and never in bulk. 

Thanks Jon. LCL is definitely what I need