Sign in to follow this  
viskop

E36 328i Manual Conversion

Hi there, I am at the point of doing a manual conversion (not yet sure through whom) and was wondering if anyone can suggest which one of the following trademe auctions I should go for?

1) http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=1263598484

2) http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=1265519737

Does anyone know who I can contact to do the conversion? And should the conversion to manual be certed? Thanks.

have you had a word with Jono at Auto 38?  He should have an idea of where to source one (or may already have one), and price to install.  

I reckon that kind of money - plus clutch and flywheel and fitting - is worth more than your car.  And you'd not get your money back on selling.  Is it worth it?

cheers

Olaf

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 3pedals said:

P.S. it's not about what the car is worth to some one else it is about what you value

Ordinarily and on face value you'd be right.  However, in another thread Charl has said he may have to sell this one.

• Like 1

Thanks Olaf and William. You are both helpful. Olaf, yes, I did say that I may have to sell my 1995 E36 328i (the current one on my profile pics), but that is only because I bought a cheaper 1996 E36 328i yesterday with 127000km on the clock. The "new" 1996 BMW does not even in looks, come close to my 1995 BMW, but the 1996 BMW I want to convert to manual, which means I may possibly (most likely will have to) have to sell my 1995 BMW. (If/when I have to sell the 1995, then I hope to get a lot more than what I paid for the 1996)

I just want a manual as I've been driving manual cars from when I started driving the 1st time back in the 1980's. For now I will see if I can get in touch with Auto 38 (Jono).

Cheers guys.

And I forgot to mention, I am on the lookout for a ZF gearbox including all parts to do the conversion. Both auctions above are for the ZF gearboxes, which I believe are for the 328's.

54 minutes ago, viskop said:

I bought a cheaper 1996 E36 328i yesterday with 127000km on the clock. The "new" 1996 BMW does not even in looks, come close to my 1995 BMW, but the 1996 BMW I want to convert to manual, which means I may possibly (most likely will have to) have to sell my 1995 BMW. (If/when I have to sell the 1995, then I hope to get a lot more than what I paid for the 1996)

you know how this goes.  "pics or it didn't happen".  Project thread - now!

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, 3pedals said:

I've got a spare pair of  328/M3 half shafts knocking around if you feel the need to go large,  small money if you are interested.

Did the auto 328s not have the larger shafts anyway? What diameter are the large ones, I'm curious if mine has the larger ones or not now as well.

Edit: mine are 27mm, looks like the small ones. So registering my interest in the large ones if viskop doesn't want em...

Edited by tawatech

40 minutes ago, 3pedals said:

I've got a spare pair of  328/M3 half shafts knocking around if you feel the need to go large,  small money if you are interested.

Thanks William, I will surely be in touch should there be a need. Thanks again.

41 minutes ago, Olaf said:

I'll most likely only get around to taking pics this coming weekend Olaf. I'm on-call this week and work many late nights, and back in the office at 7am and leave the office at 4:30pm, no matter if I worked until 3 or 4am. (Can't say here for which company I work). But I do promise, I'll take a few pics soon and add it. :-)

25 minutes ago, tawatech said:

Did the auto 328s not have the larger shafts anyway? What diameter are the large ones, I'm curious if mine has the larger ones or not now as well.

Edit: mine are 27mm, looks like the small ones. So registering my interest in the large ones if viskop doesn't want em...

William, give me a week or so please. I just need to hear back from Auto 38 (Jono) and make final arrangements. Cheers.

22 hours ago, Olaf said:

Hi Olaf, 2 pics added to my profile. Actually, let me add them here as well. :D

IMG_20170222_192947.jpg

IMG_20170222_193041.jpg

21 hours ago, 3pedals said:

they are just hanging around in the garage they can hang there for a year

Hi William, just so I know....how much would you like/want for your "spare pair of  328/M3 half shafts"? Thanks.

looking pretty tidy, Charl!

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Olaf said:

looking pretty tidy, Charl!

Thanks Olaf. Will see what the future holds for this Beemer. If the '96 328 was the same colour as the '95 328, then I might have been tempted to swap the Motorsport body kit and wheels. But I'm in no rush (except wanting to convert the '96 to manual) to do any mods at this point in time. (Need to try and get the bank balance back in the green 1st - after conversion) :-)

All ill say is that if you get a certain local workshop to supply and fit the parts for you, make damn sure the job is done properly (ie: that shifter linkage bushes are actually fitted, the correct parts are used and the correct fluid is used in the box).

On 23/02/2017 at 0:27 PM, KwS said:

All ill say is that if you get a certain local workshop to supply and fit the parts for you, make damn sure the job is done properly (ie: that shifter linkage bushes are actually fitted, the correct parts are used and the correct fluid is used in the box).

Thanks Kelvin. I have been in touch with Jono from auto38 (thanks to Olaf's suggestion) and he has no parts. Once I have all the parts, I will use him to do the job for me. My long chat with him yesterday gave me an indication that he knows what he's talking about. Unless you know of someone else?

Hey guys......it has been a week since the manual conversion was completed by Jon at auto38 on my '96 328i......and I feel like I'm in heaven!! Love the difference and this car makes me feel like I'm driving my 1998 328i manual that I had back in South Africa. And even though I loved my (sold) 2005 E46 330i here in Wellington....my 1998 E36 328i (back in SA) was still the best Beemer I have ever driven. So this converted 1996 328i comes in equal 1st place. Life is good :D.

Now I need to save up so that the mods can start. Well, maybe later this year, so will keep this BMW stock (for now). <_<

wondered if it was yours that Jon posted on FB last week.  Good news.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Olaf said:

wondered if it was yours that Jon posted on FB last week.  Good news.

Yes it was. ;)

just saw this thread, Auto 328i usually will have bigger half shafts, at least the later ones did.

I have a complete 328i rear end for sale if anyone is interested including the bigger 328i brakes, $400 delivered to most of in the North Island