Sign in to follow this  
Khabel

E30 S52 engine conversion cost?

I'm looking for a project car and was wondering what sort of dollar amount am I looking at for putting a S52 into a E30 not counting the car?

For comparison, I put an M52B28 into my E30. That cost me around $5k.
The cost of the engine + loom was around $300, which wasn't the bulk of the cost.
I managed to get an appropriate gearbox by swapping mine, so the cost was mostly seals + sump + mounts + exhaust work + cert.

So depending on what kind of E30 you start with, you'd be looking at the additional cost of
-Engine
-Gearbox
-Driveshaft
-Diff
-Coilovers? (If you're wanting to put those in, that would be the time to do it)

And that will give you a ballpark figure to add on an extra 1-2k for things to go wrong.

s52 is a USA m3 based engine 260hp .  based on m50 m52 type engine , cast iron block 3L or 3.2L with the same head and intake and exhaust manifolds as a 328i m52 engine

euro m3 engines are s50b30 286hp

or s50b32 321hp

2 piece head , high reving engine and 6 throttle bodies and nice headers etc

or go the s54 3.2L 343hp ;) newer tech

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-parts-accessories/bmw/engines/auction-1265899870.htm

• Like 1

Thanks for clearing that up, I briefly thought about doing a s54 until I looked up trademe and noticed the price of that one :)

Looks like s50b32 is the way to go

You do know about m tax right?

s50s aren't a cheap engine either. I think the s50b32 on Trademe is about $8k including a gearbox.

They are expensive for a reason, if they were cheap that would possibly mean that they were no good and not popular.

It might not stack up $$$ wise v say a 2JZ swap due to the availability of Japanese engines in this part of the world, but if you want to stick with Bimmer power in a Bimmer, then there are not many better options.