Sign in to follow this  
550i

Remapped 550i anyone?

Hi just wondering has anybody remapped there 550i naturally aspirated V8 I know often people are remapping the turbo cars is it worthwhile  in N/A bmw ? Are there any  reliability issues etc? I know they often has saying at 10 to 15 horsepower increase + improve fuel economy but does anybody have any experience . Thanks.   I have an Arqray axle back  exhaust  not that it would make much difference. :)

I spoke to Gavin at high velocity and he doesn't do a remap for this particular car hasn't had enough demand and didn't think they would be good gains to be had, suppose he might say that since he doesn't offer that service but yeah I will leave well enough alone. 

Once a modifier always a modifier..  I hear that there's not much point even changing the air intake ??  Lol I should just do the wheels and be happy I guess.  

• Like 1

My X5 has the same engine as this car. There are guys in the US and UK who have had them tuned or chipped and reckon they are getting close to 390hp out of them. 

Personally I doubt it.... 

I've not seen the 550i headers but they may be a choking point. A remap in conjunction with well designed headers will probably make a noticeable difference. 

Then again so would just upgrading to the v10 ;)

• Like 1

Yeah not looking to break the bank .  Car goes well enough I guess .  Will just do the wheels and enjoy not having aftermarket  headaches.   I do want to get the Bluetooth going as well has got the NZ SatNav installed.  But no Bluetooth  . Cheers

Yep +1 on Joe @ EuroSurgeon, he did Bluetooth and iPod interface on my E61 550i and it works well. I already had NZ Satnav from dealer but I could use a newer maps DVD (I guess I need to talk to Joe).

Re performance, I agree about the tune, possibly not a lot to gain, if anything, if local tuners like Gavin aren't playing with them much.

The N62B48 headers look ok to me and not much space to do much with in there. Most people seem to just do cat back exhausts, for sound as much as anything. One thing I've found annoying is the ultra sleepy throttle response (for economy) when not in sport mode and a lot of guys put interceptor modules on the drive by wire to sharpen it up - like Pedal Booster or Sprint Booster. It'd feel great but you'd probably end up using heaps of gas.

You can remap the throttle angle curve, reduce some of the antishake and torque limiting which gives you more perceived performance from the engine.

Gains can be had twiddling with the vanos maps as well as a slight increase to the ignition advance and reduced fueling. As others say, supporting mods first with help the top end a little. But you big gains are from vanos. You need a tip top cooling system however.

Shame those sprint booster modules are so expensive I wonder what it would cost to get the computer remapped I'd assume it would be even more.  I don't think my 550i has a sport mode can shift it to manually of course well tiptronic.  

When you move your shifter to the left into manual mode that puts it in sport mode. It should say DS in your dash display, and it'll be sport auto.  That makes it hold gears for longer (and keeps it out of 6th gear), quicker kick down and throttle response and seems to sharpen steering. If you're manually shifting it stays in sport mode but locked in whatever gear you pick. My E61 has active steering option so I'm not sure if that increases sport mode effect on steering. 

• Like 1