Sign in to follow this  
NUSTAD

E39 M5

For that price I'd rather have an E60 to be completely honest.

Price is up there for sure...

Amuses me when people claim they "...arguably have the best XX in NZ.."  How TF can they qualify that?

For what I paid for mine late December, I have a very healthy price differential to work with...

• Like 2

Ad states it has had just one owner since 2002 (when it was only a year old), so likely to have been pretty well looked after.  Only an enthusiast would buy at a year old and keep for 15 years.

• Like 3

Yep long term ownership is a good sign.   Still good value compared to a poverty spec XY Falcon!

it going to be interesting to see if M cars hold or go up in value.   Many people being priced out things like 911s

• Like 1

It is tidy, but does seem pricey. Suspect prices have bottomed out and good examples will appreciate. Looking over at the UK - beaut condition E39 M5 152K miles = £8K - so maybe not? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2000-BMW-M5-E39-Avus-Blue-/302219283652

If you look at old W210 E55s they have bottomed out at ~$8K - would like to think M5s won't go that low ....

s-l1600.jpg

• Like 1

For interest sake I sold my 1999 E39 M5 with 155kms for over $30k last year. If the spec is right people are willing to pay.

• Like 1

For the coin if i was in the market and given it appears to be an enthusiast owner i'd expect a preventive maintenance history vs an as needed maintenance history. 

• Like 3

also the later model ones are much more desireable imho.as for the "i have the best...." its easy.If you belong to tthe BMW car club,and bimmersport you see a lot of older BMWs.Its pretty easy to judge the condition of your car against others.When i had my 535is it was ussually in better nick than other cars of it age.Sio iwould say it was a better than average car.I would be much more likely to buy an e39 M5 than a E60 M5.

For one owner and all the paperwork, I think this car would be worth it. To the right type of buyer. 

It will be interesting to see what comes out of Japan when these things hit 20 years old. What always puts me off is how the plastics and leathers fare after years in the NZ sun. 

1 hour ago, NZ BMW said:

For one owner and all the paperwork, I think this car would be worth it. To the right type of buyer. 

It will be interesting to see what comes out of Japan when these things hit 20 years old. What always puts me off is how the plastics and leathers fare after years in the NZ sun. 

Well for starters they will be LHD.

15 hours ago, eliongater said:

For that price I'd rather have an E60 to be completely honest.

Driven either?

54 minutes ago, Golfboy666GTI said:

Driven either?

Haven't driven any e39s, I do get where you're coming from though

Edited by eliongater

1 hour ago, Golfboy666GTI said:

Why would they be LHD from Japan?

If one is ok with LHD, it'd be better to import from the US.

Just now, Gabe79 said:

A lot of performance European and American cars sold in Japan are LHD.

LHD cars have a lot of kudos in Japan. It's a status thing - the driver can pull up to their favourite restaurant/club, and get out of the car on the kerb side so they don't have to walk around the car to get to their destination.

25 minutes ago, BreakMyWindow said:

A lot of performance European and American cars sold in Japan are LHD.

At the 20 year mark, US imports will be a boon. I had no idea. It'll be nice to be able to source cars from there.

5 minutes ago, gjm said:

LHD cars have a lot of kudos in Japan. It's a status thing - the driver can pull up to their favourite restaurant/club, and get out of the car on the kerb side so they don't have to walk around the car to get to their destination.

The world is a more interesting place every day for me. 

3 hours ago, Golfboy666GTI said:

Really, all of them? I thought that was more common in the 1980s and was born out of a lot of stuff like the early AMGs and the likes just not being made available in anything but, therefore the majority of them came in as grey market imports via dealers or individuals. 

Not all of them will be LHD, but looking at Goo-net all the E39 M5s currently for sale are LHD. Newer than that and its a mix of left and right. Theyre still about 21k NZD excluding ORC and shipping though.... so not cheap.

17 hours ago, NZ BMW said:

Really, all of them? I thought that was more common in the 1980s and was born out of a lot of stuff like the early AMGs and the likes just not being made available in anything but, therefore the majority of them came in as grey market imports via dealers or individuals. 

Maybe 95% would be LHD. The will be Japanese new. For example all of the Japanese allocation of E46 M3 CSL's are LHD.

19 hours ago, Gabe79 said:

Why better off from the US? The have a number if different changes to the rest of the world.

2 hours ago, Golfboy666GTI said:

Why better off from the US? The have a number if different changes to the rest of the world.

For me personally, I have ample contacts in the US and could, for example, source cars at trade-in prices from people whom I trust implicitly who work in the industry and know what they're doing. 

In general, the point stands on the basis that it is a huge market, which has a lot of cars at a range of prices, which tend to be better than just about anywhere else. 

If I was getting an E39 of any type I'd want a later model one with the flatter rear seat back - the older ones like this have the big bulge in the middle which would be uncomfortable for person #5 (and I have 5 people in the family). It's one thing I like about the E60 - rear seat is good for three. When I too k a mid-2000s Audi S4 for a spin I was grinning - then sat in the middle of the back seat and it was an immediate 'no way' - damned uncomfortable!!!

I could be wrong but I think it's more to do with whether or not the seat folds down for load through. My 03 seats don't fold and has the bulge.

Seat fold down is an option from the factory. It's not by model for the sedans. 

Edit: On my 530i the seats fold down and I still have the bulge. 

Edited by Gabe79