Sign in to follow this  
kylie-anne

New Auckland member with 04 530i that has started sounding like a tractor and leaks oil (yayyyy funnnnn)

Sup all,

So basically I've joined because I went against all advice given to me and brought myself a 2004 530i.  Being a complete retard (won't say stereotypical girl.. but yeah pretty much) when it comes to cars naturally after owning it for about 4 months its begun to sound like a tractor and leak oil.  

I'll make you all cringe by confessing that no, I've had no service since I've had it and it's JUST about 145,000km including no-one of any mechanical/bmw knowledge even look at it.  To top it off, I'm heavy footed for 5"1' girl and drive it like I stole it.

So I'm here pleading to be pointed in the direction of TRUSTED bmw mechanic in Auckland, who won't take advantage of the fact I'm a young ignorant female and rip me off.

Thank you in advance!!

Kylie

Copy-pasted from here, which I used as a reference. 

I've personally used Bellars and endorse them.

Bellars Motor Works

Unit 2/3 Vega Place off Constellation Dve Mairangi Bay Auckland

0-9-478 7011

Andrew: Talk to Ken. Great guy and ex-BMW so knows his stuff.

BM Workshop

Grey Lynn

0508 349269

Grant: They looked after my E30 well once I moved to Auckland

JP: Took my e30 in, came out with a large dent on the bonnet which they would not own up too. NOT HAPPY!

Botany Motor Worx

East Auckland

0800 269 583

E30stz/Andy: would recommend Glenn and the team down there

M325is/Shelley: Prompt and helpful service and parts

All are Highly recommended. Glenn from Botany Motor Works is on the forum, PM him if you would like any info.

• Like 2

welcome, Kylie.  Your e39 should benefit from the skills and expertise of a trusted independent workshop (or indeed a BMW dealer if you're feeling flush).  

Welcome to the joys of BMW ownership.  You'll want a good assessment to figure out

• what's up with the tractor noises, and,
  • what's been deferred/missed/avoided that should be addressed to bring it up to spec.

When they're well-fettled, our BMWs give joy for the way they drive and perform.  They can be a bit fussy though, and don't respond to neglect.  

Fortunately you're in the right place, there are a bunch of experienced, friendy and enthusiastic BMW-heads around here, and we have the benefit of some excellent forum sponsors.  You might want to contact Botany Motor Worx - you'll see *Glenn* around here providing intelligent and precise advice and moderation (sposor of the Maintenance room - to discuss your needs.

Also take a look at the "Meetings" room, you'll see the Auckland contingient get together for cars and coffee meets regularly.  

welcome!  Keep us updated on how you get on, and don't be afraid to ask.

cheers

• Like 3

I agree with the above, where you take it will largely depend on where you live in Auckland - there are many good independents, no point in driving all the way across town to the furthest one.

And as Olaf says, keep us posted with progress, we're typically interested in such things. Good luck!

• Like 2

Ahh yes, usual information would be where in Auckland I stay haha. I live up in West Harbour but work in the CBD so am happy to go anywhere in between if they're recommended. Thank you for mentions in the meantime though, I don't know why I waited so long to join and ask the people that ACTUALLY know! :-)

• Like 1

In that case Beller off Constellation drive is easy for you to get to or BM Workshop is a slight detour on your way to the CBD. Both are very good and won't rip you off. Just keep in mind that no BMW shop worth it's salt is "cheap" so be prepared...

If you have any concerns about advice or a quote from anybody you can also post here and ask. Especially if you get a long list of parts to replace, that can become expensive.

• Like 2

Probably since it sound like a tractor

• Like 1

Welcome to the forum. You'll find some very knowledgable people here with a lot of good advice.

Hope you get your car sorted soon and are able to fully enjoy your lead foot.

10 hours ago, kulgan said:

Welcome to the forum. You'll find some very knowledgable people here with a lot of good advice.

well, yes!  And then there's us. :D

• Like 5

12 hours ago, qube said:

Isnt it more likely to be an early model e60? 

well it's possible, Kyu.  Oil leaks, one immediately thinks M54 - but of course they appeared in early e60's as well... so a good point you make.

so Kylie, is yours an e39 or an e60?  Time to post some pics, too!

Well, its very rare to find a 2004 e39 for a start whilst an early model e60 is a lot more common and usually quite "cheap" to the average person as it looks new but relatively highish kms if its done 145,000kms now.

It probably hasnt had the oil changed in ages and if shes got a heavy foot, you can imagine that the engine isnt going to be happy. First thing would be to do a engine oil change but before that get it checked out to make sure there is no lasting damage to the engine if it has been running on low or dirty oil.

Thanks for all the input to date team, sorry - been down the line visiting family over the weekend so please excuse my slack response time. Yep it's an e60, will try take some pics in the morning or after work of what's going under the hood :) hope everyone had a weekend!

• Like 2

BM Workshop in Grey Lynn as been great with my M5

Burgers Motor Works in Glenfield has been great with my 130i

Oh yes BM Workshop in Grey Lynn was actually on my radar actually - luckily my flatmate and I both work in the CBD so have been able to take my time figuring out which workshop would be most suitable :) haven't had a change to get pictures of whats going on under the hood (dark when I leave for work and dark against once I'm home - steady grindin' haha) but here's a picture of my headache/bimmer haha..

20160917_103033.jpg

• Like 2

looks smart, and that beading betrays that someone's lavishing the love on it, despite your claims of riding it hard and stabling it wet.  

looking forward to an update.

Had already tentatively booked in for next week but unfortunately I may be a little late.. drove literally 10min down the road and came home to smoke coming out of the grill. I take that as a badddd sign *sigh* here's some pictures.. if my hand is in the picture it's to show where the heat is coming from.

20170303_150236.jpg

20170303_150254.jpg

20170303_150328.jpg

Snapchat-1228890344.mp4

Don't ever trust what some random dude tells you on the interwebs... but fear not, looks like a simple rocker cover gasket failure, which has thrown oil everywhere. It would be nice (even if only to save you the oil smoke embarrassment) if you could avoid driving it until you get it sorted

• Like 1

Sooooo I looked underneath my car for the first time ever and yeah, oops. I knew I'd scrapped it under there a few times but never looked until now.. don't know of the vid shows how badly I've f*cked sh*t up under there! 

20170303_151345.mp4

Just now, kylie-anne said:

Sooooo I looked underneath my car for the first time ever and yeah, oops. I knew I'd scrapped it under there a few times but never looked until now.. don't know of the vid shows how badly I've f*cked sh*t up under there! 

20170303_151345.mp4

I've seen worse. Mine is missing the entire under tray and fender liners. PO scraped them off.

Your bumper could do with some loving, but that's not so bad. (my perspective is a bit askew since mine is worse off than yours!)

5 hours ago, kylie-anne said:

20170303_151345.mp4

probably your shocks are getting old and you've parking building down ramps, or judder bars.  Or it's sacked, and you;ve turned it into a German motor-scraper**.   It's mostly superficial, if you feel bad about it you can have it spruced up.  

Due to the emergency nature, just dropped it off at Autobahn in Grey Lynn this morning. I was so flustered that I got myself lost, pulled into a driveway to make a U-Turn and crashed into their wheelie bin and the guy happened to outside to witness this.. I go to reverse away with embarrassment and end up jamming my bin against the fence with my car then completely knock it over. That's how my weekend has started haha 

• Like 3

That is halarious. Hope the car is ok :D

Enjoy it, hopefully it fixable and then you can get back to driving it hard.

My BMWs have had their issues, but when everything is working fine they are great fun!