Sign in to follow this  
treone

Thoughts about an E60 530D MSport LCI

I have experience of a petrol E60. Didn't like the shape when it came out new. Didn't like it when I bought one. But it has now grown on me, both exterior and interior. IMO the E60 is a well set up and balanced car to drive.

I have no experience with diesels at all but... what are things to be aware of? I'm not looking for an opinion on the 'looks' of the E60 just what does/would owning a 10+ year old BMW/E60 diesel entail?

Or more specifically - a 2007 NZ 530D MSport LCI one :-)

Looking forward to your thoughts and insights!

Edited by treone
  • Like 2

I had an 05 530D M.  It was NZ new with highish NZ highway mileage.
I never had one issue with it.  Amazing tow vehicle which is why I purchased it.  And very good economy.  But still well balanced through the hills.

Towing an E30 on a heavy hire trailer from Wellington via Masterton had an average of around 10L/100kms.

I owned an E39 before that and I enjoyed the E60 far more.

One of the main issues the diesels have are the swirl flaps in the intake.  They can come loose and kill the motor.
However I think the 2007 models don't have the issue.  And you can easily remove them from the older cars.

yes indeed, I'm looking at the same option.  Though need a new contract!

I've driven a couple of the earlier 530D's, they're comfortable mile-munchers.  the heavy lump in front changes the balance a little over benzine powered e60, though still a lovely BMW drive.  They certainly pick up when the loud pedal is encouraged.  Sadly diesel doesnt seem to be covered in the "so you've bought yourself an e60" pdf. 

As Dan mentioned, swirl flaps potentially disastrous - easy and inexpensive delete.  

LCI seem to be harder to find, I understand the improved iDrive is favoured, and lower risk of flappage issues.

Options commonly found in NZ include the lighting package, active headlights, active steering, spare wheel, leather interior.

Filters seem more expensive than petrol.  Service intervals seem good.  So overall, the same e60 areas of concern (water leaks flooding electronics etc - see the "so you've bought yourself an e60" pdf), and as with any BMW, evidence of regular maintenance.  Needs good long runs to avoid soot buildups and DPF problems.

There's been a nice e60 530D for sale in CHC for a while, has Dynamic Drive as well (I think similar to the M5)... wonder if that's a maintenace liability with age, or just a seriously cool option to feature in a mile-munching distance car?

• Like 1

PS:  I'd have no issue with the M57D25 variant.  

PPS:  as with most e60 (except the M5 or other smg-equipped  of course), prudent service of the 6HP26 or 6HP19 trans is recommended.

19 hours ago, treone said:

I have experience of a petrol E60. Didn't like the shape when it came out new. Didn't like it when I bought one. But it has now grown on me, both exterior and interior. IMO the E60 is a well set up and balanced car to drive.

I have no experience with diesels at all but... what are things to be aware of? I'm not looking for an opinion on the 'looks' of the E60 just what does/would owning a 10+ year old BMW/E60 diesel entail?

Or more specifically - a 2007 NZ 530D MSport LCI one :-)

Looking forward to your thoughts and insights!

Hey Greg - this is an interesting direction - what's prompting the move to the diesel LCI? Towing? Economy?

Don't put petrol into a diesel :P one of my colleagues did this with his Alfa :\ Doh!

3 hours ago, Olaf said:

There's been a nice e60 530D for sale in CHC for a while, has Dynamic Drive as well (I think similar to the M5)... wonder if that's a maintenace liability with age, or just a seriously cool option to feature in a mile-munching distance car?

I think most well specced E60s have Dynamic Drive - mine does as well as active steering.

Hmm - just noticed from the vehicle spec I have the Prof HiFi (Logic 7 setup) which explains why the sound system is so good. Waaaaaaaaaaaaaay better than the audio in my X5.

5 hours ago, TermiPeteNZ said:

Hey Greg - this is an interesting direction - what's prompting the move to the diesel LCI? Towing? Economy?

Hmm - just noticed from the vehicle spec I have the Prof HiFi (Logic 7 setup) which explains why the sound system is so good. Waaaaaaaaaaaaaay better than the audio in my X5.

Not necessarily a conscience move to a diesel but have received an offer that may include one. As I know zilch about diesels I thought asking the question of those in the know was a good place to start. But I'm pretty sure that the offer may not go anywhere. What I've learnt so far is that a 530D should not be dismissed as an alternative. Ohhhh to have a car that could do @ 1000km to a tank :rolleyes:.

The Prof HiFi is a pretty kick butt sound system even when you are forced to listen to the Hits haha!

9 hours ago, Olaf said:

PS:  I'd have no issue with the M57D25 variant.  

PPS:  as with most e60 (except the M5 or other smg-equipped  of course), prudent service of the 6HP26 or 6HP19 trans is recommended.

Thanks Olaf your insights are helpful as always.

• Like 2

looks like the LCI diesels are alloy-blocked.  Well, those that are suffixed TU2.

from good ol wiki: "The block and the crankcase of the first M57 engines and the TÜ (Technische Überarbeitung = revision) engines are made of cast iron, TÜ2 engines are made of aluminium instead."

Edited by Olaf

only buy a diesel if you are going to give it good runs....20 k minimum with open road running.Dont buy a diesel if you do 5 k each way in traffic.I was told this many moons ago by a diesel mechanic.It has paid dividends so far with a 120d and now a mitsi pajero.I make sure that i use full throttle on occasion.It may all be superstition buti think the good runs ensure the dpf is at full temp and the full throttle contributes to that and "blow" the intake manifold out.Dont forget to figure in the higher rego and ruc( just over 6 c a kilometre).The torque the turbo diesels have make them a nice open road car.

In an e60 you are barely aware you are driving a diesel until you stop at a traffic light with a window down,and for a moment slightly less urge from a standstill

Edited by kiwi535
  • Like 1

Cheers for the replies and insights so far. Will see how things develop...