Sign in to follow this  
allan

Audio R8

Channel flicking last night and came  across Megafactories it was all about the way the Audio R8 is assembled. Total ally body and sub frame all the assembly I saw was by humans. The only machines were in the prep for painting, painting and applying the sealant to the windows. The car paint cycle took four days and involved some fancy looking tech knowledge. The v10 engine come from Hungary I believe they got a real work out on their test bed.With all the normal checks being done glowing red manifolds and run up to max rpm some were about 8,400 rpm. It appears that only the most skilled staff are allowed on the R8 assembly line hence most are over forty and are know as silver liners because most have gray hair. The went on through the assemble process motor/trans fitting it, dashboard, seats etc they even went on to give details about the car some 300km/hr zero to 60 in some 3.2 or 3.8 not sure which cost around  108,000 euro while the v8 type would be around 80,000 euro.

Saw this also, I can see why they cost so damn much to make. Very impressive to see that some craftsmanship, particularly in body prep is still being sort after.

low volume production at one of its finiest, even if it was a couple years old

must keep an eye out for this one.  

I saw the BMW Oxford one over the weekend, where they assemble (most) Mini's... was bluddy interesting, in particular the number of people involved... and almost makes me want one lol.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, SmithyInWelly said:

I saw the BMW Oxford one over the weekend, where they assemble (most) Mini's... was bluddy interesting, in particular the number of people involved... and almost makes me want one lol.

Apart from the mini coupe bit right? 

• Like 1

I don't even think of those as Mini's... As much as I dislike the "bigger" Mini's, at least they add something. And I'm no stylist but my goodness - if they're not the ugliest modern car on the road, what is? Quite likely designed by a 22yr old design grad with his pants around his knees, his snapback on backwards, and no drivers license.

• Like 2

hey, just remember they're a BMW underneath, and handle pretty well for a front-tugger.