Sign in to follow this  
Golfboy666GTI

Written off E34 M5 3.8

Not that long ago I went to test drive some small cars with a family member who was in the market for a New car.

We took a Holden Spark for a test drive - you know the current COTY. As soon as we got out onto a 'busy' road with traffic all round I said to myself Hell No! The vulnerability I felt in this sheet of metal was enough to give me the s^&*s! Then we got out onto the motorway and I can tell you that being side by side with a semi-truck and trailer at 100km/ hr in a car like that is not a very nice feeling! Being sandwiched  between two is even worse! Unfortunately that was case for the Jazz, Swift and Echo that we took out.

For me, the choice between a 90's Euro or latest Jap/Korean/Chinese (or what ever) is a no brainer!

I remember being told once - 3mm of sheet metal is often the difference between life and death. Give me the 'thud' or 'clunk' of a quality made car any day.

Edited by treone

1 hour ago, KwS said:

Looks pretty good to me, 

it certainly does!  No argument there.

What I'm thinking about, is do they show the rear-ended across 50% of vehice's width at 50/80/110kph scenarios?  That's what I've seen (that scares me) - rear-enders on the open road of NZ highways.

Nigel Latta did a very good comparison between an 80s Falcodore and a modern hatch. Was very interesting.

80s car was big, heavy and solid but no safety features of modern world. 

I'll take the modern safety please.

• Like 1

Just now, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

Nigel Latta did a very good comparison between an 80s Falcodore and a modern hatch. Was very interesting.

i will take a mid 90s euro over a modern hatch any day.The ancap tests are engineered a bit like the fuel economy tests and the cars are built to perform very wel lin the test.How that translates to a non ancap accident is what Olaf is ruminating on I think

• Like 1

a Modern hatch has the active safety electronics, but the older euro possibly has the passive crumple zone engineering.  one would think a design to surpass a standard would be better than one which was designed to merely achieve a minimum standard.  

Really though, accidents are unpredictable and can go seriously fatal in millimeters.  I have seen a e34 5er flip in crosswinds (at possible extralegal speeds) and the chap who walked away was very lucky to have lived, as the initial impact hit soft earth, missing the hard concrete highway surface by a mere 500mm. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

NIgel Latta?  Nigel F35king Whining Latta?  nuff said.

There's no doubt an 80's Falcodore ain't that safe.  Hell my 1997 Volvo 855-T5 with Four Airbags, seatbelt pre-tensioners, and SIPS probably doesn't measure up to a 2016 Ford Focus.  However, being rear-ended by a Falcodore doing 60ks, I'd prefer my offspring strapped in in the middle row of my volvo, than in the back seat of a focus.  You cannae change the laws of physics (laws of physics, Captain).

Now, before we all get too serious, here's some comic relief.

What does it take to kill a Volvo 850?

(yes it has a small hoop in it).

Edited by Olaf

Just now, Olaf said:

There's no doubt an 80's Falcodore ain't that safe.

I recall Dad's old 1990 E30 325i wasn't much different in weight to a 1990 commodore or falcon  ;-)

something like 1300 vs 1400 vs 1500 kg and the commode was a buttload bigger, not to mention the falcon!

9 minutes ago, Olaf said:

NIgel Latta?  Nigel F35king Whining Latta?  nuff said.

There's no doubt an 80's Falcodore ain't that safe.  Hell my 1997 Volvo 855-T5 with Four Airbags, seatbelt pre-tensioners, and SIPS probably doesn't measure up to a 2016 Ford Focus.  However, being rear-ended by a Falcodore doing 60ks, I'd prefer my offspring strapped in in the middle row of my volvo, than in the back seat of a focus.  You cannae change the laws of physics (laws of physics, Captain).

Now, before we all get too serious, here's some comic relief.

What does it take to kill a Volvo 850?

(yes it has a small hoop in it).

They have too much time on their hands lol

• Like 1

Theres also a huge difference in FWD and RWD in crashes, as the RWD generally has a longer engine bay for N/S engines, so its hard to compare most euros to jap hatches. The current crop of japanese hatches do very well considering.

Regardless, as said, you buggered either way in a decent crash, no matter what youre in.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Allanw said:

I recall Dad's old 1990 E30 325i wasn't much different in weight to a 1990 commodore or falcon  ;-)

something like 1300 vs 1400 vs 1500 kg and the commode was a buttload bigger, not to mention the falcon!

I think your weights are a bit off Allan, I'm sure the manual said our e30 was 1190? And an EA Falcon around 1500, I think a Commodore was lighter though.

Here's an interesting link, shows cars as they actually perform, E34 gets 4 stars, 850 gets 3, EA gets 2.

https://www.carsguide.com.au/car-news/baby-used-cars-fare-poorly-in-safety-ratings-20623

Google tells me 1286 plus options for a 325i manual.

It's on the internet, so it must be true,right??? :D

17 hours ago, lord_jagganath said:

a Modern hatch has the active safety electronics, but the older euro possibly has the passive crumple zone engineering.  one would think a design to surpass a standard would be better than one which was designed to merely achieve a minimum standard.  

This.

Far too sensible for today's economy-driven production, though.

I know which i would rather be in....

Both Euro NCAP.

E39

EGf2Vvj.png

Swift

djYkLOU.png

Its really just not a good argument.

I think the best safety comes from a car that AVOIDS the accident to start with. An E39 will out handle and out manouver a vast majority of tall 4WDs, and is far less likely to tip over etc. After that, is where the safety of the structure comes into play.

If I was going to crash into a deformable barrier with a 40% overlap at 64km/h (designed to replicate me hitting another car of the same weight, both travelling at 50 km/h), the Swift would be a great place to be.

Real life data (from Palazzo's post above) from Australia suggests the E39 is a much safer place to be in real life ;). 5 stars vs 2 stars.

If I was going to crash the right front corner into a concrete bridge abuttment at 80km/h, spin 360degrees and then also hit the oncoming car who was on the bridge with nowhere to go, I'd much prefer the E39.

That's what my wife did: Her face had hit the steering wheel fracturing her skull in a number of places and knocking out a tooth, the ignition key was IN her right knee, her left knee had some dashboard in it. She required extraction from the vehicle. She was in a P10 Primera, which did FAR better than you'd expect, after 2 massive impacts. The front right wheel was roughly where the drivers seat started, the front corner of the car pushed back to where the base of the windscreen should have been. Weirdly - the passenger side looked almost fine - the front gaurd was on a slight angle!

I'd like to see a Swift and an E39 AFTER hitting a concrete bridge and THEN doing the crash test :lol:

Airbags only work once...

Edited by Allanw
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, Allanw said:

hitting another car of the same weight,

how often does that happen i wonder.....this is why the ancap tests can only tell part of the story

On 02/03/2017 at 7:45 AM, Olaf said:

Scary Reading?  how about:

"Odometer
32,163 KM Showing"

it's not like she's pregnant, guv.  "ohhhh, you're 23 weeks darling and barely showing!"

I dunno, these auctioneers will do anything for a laff.

Or they could be telling the truth. But hey, lets speculate without actually knowing anything behind the real story cause thats more fun.

Hi Gaz, I've no doubt they're presenting the true mileage.  I'm just taking the piss on their wording "showing".

No speculation, or suggestion of misrepresentation on the part of the auction house here.  Move along please, nothing to see here...

cheers

They can only go off whats on the dash, so its fair enough to say thats what the car is "showing".

Better than claiming it has the KM of the new engine like most trademe listings :D

• Like 1

Anyone here buy it? Re-shell?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MD13 said:

Anyone here buy it? Re-shell?

Look at the reaction to those questions and you'll get your answer ;)