Sign in to follow this  
gjm

Do I like the wrong cars?

I've reduced the car count hereabouts a little, having sold the white coupe shell to someone who is going to fit a V8. It was originally a nimble little 4-pot. The remaining E30 coupe, the black one, will get the engine from the white one and I'm very happy with that.

But pretty much everyone else wants a 6-pot E30. M20 stroker kits are everywhere, M52s are being dropped in by seemingly everyone.

Tell anyone you're deliberately putting a M10 into a coupe shell and people ask "Why?"

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We really like our Mercedes W201 (190E) with it's 6-cylinder engine. It started as a 2.6, and now has a 3.0 bottom end, so I've gone down the BMW-lovers bigger-6-is-better-6 route.
However, whenever you talk to anyone about a 190E, all anyone wants is a 4-pot 16v, 2.3 or 2.5. The 6-cylinder cars aren't exactly frowned on, but people look confused when I try to discuss tuning a 6-cylinder engine.

Oh well. I always wanted to be different. :)

Edited by gjm
  • Like 1

Because the M10 is full of character, and a beast with boost.

Edited by eliongater

I'm with you Graham, 4-cylinder E30 please. That why I have a 4-pot in the race car - trade off between power and weight / handling. Even with a 4-cylinder up front it is still a bit nose heavy but that could because so much gets stripped out of the rear with a racer. A good M10 in an e30 would be a great car.

It is possibly because most people are being "realistic" in what they are looking for, 320i / 325i is still an affordable E30, M5x swap into an E30 is a cheap(ish) swap. 318iS and M3 are very scarce and out of most peoples budgets, so they look for the "next best thing" instead, which is perceived to be the 6-cylinder models. Not sure that argument quite stacks up with the Mercs though as the 2.3 16v, whilst not quite the dizzy heights of an M3, is still a lot more expensive than the 6-cyl versions...

• Like 1

Think the cars are fine - the engines you want in them are a little off ;)

Different strokes (see what I did there?) for different folks.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

I'm with you Graham, 4-cylinder E30 please. That why I have a 4-pot in the race car - trade off between power and weight / handling. Even with a 4-cylinder up front it is still a bit nose heavy but that could because so much gets stripped out of the rear with a racer. A good M10 in an e30 would be a great car.

It is possibly because most people are being "realistic" in what they are looking for, 320i / 325i is still an affordable E30, M5x swap into an E30 is a cheap(ish) swap. 318iS and M3 are very scarce and out of most peoples budgets, so they look for the "next best thing" instead, which is perceived to be the 6-cylinder models. Not sure that argument quite stacks up with the Mercs though as the 2.3 16v, whilst not quite the dizzy heights of an M3, is still a lot more expensive than the 6-cyl versions...

An m42/m44 swap should also be fairly straight forward though, right?

Also don't forget the 320is ;)