Sign in to follow this  
WYZEUP

Living in wellington

So it seems that there is a fair chunk of the community here residing in wellington.

So though i would ask here for some opinion....I am currently working on moving to wellington from the lovely city of hamilton.

The job i have applied for (all going well) is in lower hutt but my partner works in the CBD and currently lives in newtown making everything easily accessible for her so keeping that side of things would be handy as she is unable to park in town. I also need garaging for the 30.

So im looking for opinions on optimal suburbs to look at for renting a suitable property that has garaging, is close to public transport and a safe area.

Will be looking in the next couple of months to move, any help would be awesome as i dont know the area very well at all.

cheers

If you want a garage, youre looking at outer suburbs straight away. The commute from LH to Welly CBD is a killer in rush hour if you drive. Everything is expensive, but tends to get cheaper the further away from the CBD you are.

• Like 1

I am starting to realise that and may have to leave the 30 in hamilton until such stage as we are better settled, the ngaio/johnsonville area seems a good compromise between getting the the CBD and LH?

Depends on what's an acceptable commute vs whats an optimal rental spend - and also how/where each of you would like to live.

Newlands has plenty of reasonable sized housing for the $$$ and is relatively close to the CBD. The other thing you could consider is something in the Hutt near the train line, so your other half's commute is a lot easier, and yours is a lot shorter.

There's compromises everywhere it's up to the two of you to decide how they rate against one another.

• Like 1

IMV you'd have to have an other half that is expecting to bear your children, if you expect to move her from Newtown to the Hutt Valley and happily catch a train!  

The Ngaio option is a pretty good one, with J'Ville reasonable too.  Newlands as Smithy says, has good access and is reasonably priced... the downside is it's usually shrouded in cloud and is miserable.

Lower Hutt is pretty commutable from the Eastern Suburbs - I've spent the last 10-11 months driving to Upper Hutt each day.  40 mins/52kms and you see the traffic crawling in from the Hutt Valley, believe me it's worth a bit extra to avoid the SH1 southbound grind into Welly each day.

You might consider Miramar or Maupuia, prolly some parts of Strathmore okay... not sure how Island Bay is for renting these days, southgate (above Island Bay, out from Newtown) was 60's/70's and usually had garaging.   Wadestown good access to town, but garaging rare.  Wildcard - Crofton Downs often garaging, not far from ngaio, simple train ride into CBD, reasonable access to get you out to Lower Hutt.

HTH

Come to Welly, you know it makes sense. 

Wilton,northland.kelburn,Karori all easily accessible to town,karori probably the most traffic but all have buses.Wilton ,northalnd garages rare but there are some.Wadestown very good bus aacces to cbd,/all of these suburbs have very good access to sh2 ,where commuting against the trens is ussually at a full 100 km hr on sh2.Khandallah,Ngaio Jville all have the jville train line ,Khandallah has train and bus.Kelburn is a real strange susburb a misxture of student flats and big expensive houses,could walk into townGetting into town in a car in the morning from the easter n suburbs is very slow at rush hour,Once you through town its plain sailing,Miramar,lyall bay,kilbirnie all have the same bus route into town,one of them may go through newtown too..Brooklyn worth a look too,easy to get into to town and out onto sh1/2

bad time of year to come to welllington lots of students looking for flats,some of whom have wealthy parents

Edited by kiwi535

I think Jville area is a good balance if you need access to both the CBD and the Hutt. Good access to bus and train to the CBD, and renting shouldn't be horrific.

One of the good things about Welly (compared to Akld) is the shortish commutes - and that means avoiding the rush hour traffic from the Hutt in the morning and back out there in the PM/

15 hours ago, Olaf said:

ICome to Welly, you know it makes sense. 

I miss CHCH. Welly is a craphole in comparison (in terms of housing, layout, traffic, lifestyle, driving roads, accessibility).

Jville has some of the worst drivers i have encountered in wellington. Ngaio has crap roads, and damp houses.

I lived in JVille for a while and its ok, the CBD commute is best done on the train as parking post earthquakes is getting tight. I also lived in Khandallah for a while and found the tight streets and limited parking a pain. I would look at the Hutt, two rail options to town and much greater likelihood of a garage. Don't dismiss Upper Hutt either the commute is longer but again the rail option is there and its a good option. Seriously driving into the CBD is a pain in the ass. Driving into the Hutt from Upper Hutt or south is not too bad. Save your driving for the weekends. 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, KwS said:

I miss CHCH. Welly is a craphole in comparison (in terms of housing, layout, traffic, lifestyle, driving roads, accessibility).

Jville has some of the worst drivers i have encountered in wellington. Ngaio has crap roads, and damp houses.

Dude! You're welcome to return to the Mainland :P I like it here!

But your comments on Jville drivers is perhaps not wrong - and the double roundabouts contribute to the problem ; and Ngaio does have very narrow roads and anywhere with houses stuck against hillsides can have damp issues - and Welly has a lot of hills!

Everyone start badmouthing Wellington to keep house prices down :ph34r:

• Like 1

Wellington has the best CBD in NZ and outside of the hilly suburbs the Hutt Valley has a lot to offer. Plus it has a very usefull rail system. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, TermiPeteNZ said:

Dude! You're welcome to return to the Mainland :P I like it here!

I would if i could but some dumbass saw fit to put the criminalsgubbermint here, so as long as the missus has a job im stuck here.

The outer/northern suburbs are the place to live, avoid the CBD and southern suburbs like the plague.

The rail system is useful although super expensive and its pricing/charging scheme is terrible (needing different tickets for different lines, still using physical paper tickets etc). The bus system is crap.

2 hours ago, eliongater said:

Everyone start badmouthing Wellington to keep house prices down :ph34r:

Not for a couple of months 'til we sell ours please. Ta!

2 hours ago, KwS said:

I would if i could but some dumbass saw fit to put the criminalsgubbermint here, so as long as the missus has a job im stuck here.

The outer/northern suburbs are the place to live, avoid the CBD and southern suburbs like the plague.

The rail system is useful although super expensive and its pricing/charging scheme is terrible (needing different tickets for different lines, still using physical paper tickets etc). The bus system is crap.

Why avoid the southern suburbs like the plague? I guess you mean Eastern suburbs too... As far as Wellington goes they a more likely to have garaging or on street parking (Island Bay, Kilbirne, Lyall Bay, Miramar, Strathmore) than anywhere else. Eastern suburbs a real pita to get to/from in peak hour if you are driving. 

South Karori is relatively affordable and has a lot of garaging. Like wise up top of Brooklyn down far end of Mitchell street/Kowhai Park but the housing there leaves a lot to be desired, characterless  1970/80s boxes, a bit like a lot of Hamilton minus the welfare bludging bogan white trash. 

• Like 2

Haha thanks guys for the input, looks like we are going to have to sit down and look at priorities etc (one is not leaving the 30 behind after all the hard work)....one weekend when one of us commutes.

Lucky for me i would potentially being going against the grain of rush hour traffic going to the hutt in the morning and to the cbd at night. 

But really need to get this job first (fingers crossed i will find out this week) then commence the long process of packaging everything up and bringing it down. Im actually really looking forward to moving to the windy city, i really like the CBD but have yet to still explore the outer suburbs....

• Like 2

Check out Hataitai .Very close to city and motorway north . Cheap taxi ride from Courtney Place bars and restaurants if that's your thing. Bit of airport noise but that's the only downside. Most places seem to have garages .

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hataitai

Edited by Neal
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Neal said:

Check out Hataitai .Very close to city and motorway north . Cheap taxi ride from Courtney Place bars and restaurants if that's your thing. Bit of airport noise but that's the only downside. Most places seem to have garages .

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hataitai

I've given up spruiking Hataitai.  I think it's super, it'd under-valued and its proximity to the CBD, Airport, Motorways, Green Belt is brilliant, you can still have million dollar sea views at 50 cents in the dollar compared with Roseneath, and its well serviced by busses. Garages aren't a given here (I'd love one but by the time it was finished I'd have no coin for toys), walking to town is easy and free, and if your too pissed to walk home your Uber will cost you about eleven bucks.  I recommend it to immigrants and returning kiwis, they buy in Khandallah, Whitby, or foolishly put their money into apartment buildings in town where a sub-par office building has been converted into apartments, and your fees are rouletted by under-skilled body corporates,

Yes, you should definitely move you and your GF to Hataitai, I'll bring beer on occasions as rent to spanner in your nice dry garage.  Easy.  It's a great suburb and I've called it home on and off since 1989.

Airport noise is very dependent on wind conditions and direction.  The only one I really notice is due any minute now as I type this, the Singapore Airlines nightly service to Canberra, the 777 makes a bit of noise as it climbs.

• Like 1

PS - here's the 777 now - tonight it's going south so there's a minor bass rumble down evans bay and 25 seconds later it's gone.

• Like 2

So im on the move.........whoop whoop!!!!!

So now to be on the look out for a place to live in the coming months, looking forward to meeting a few of you local wellingtonians :)

• Like 4

congrats on your new job, Jeremy!

when will you be down here?  We've a road trip to Ngawi at the end of this month - Sunday 26th - you might want to join...

• Like 1

On 3/7/2017 at 3:01 PM, SmithyInWelly said:

Not for a couple of months 'til we sell ours please. Ta!

you're golden.  our neighbour a few doors down has just sold for $845k on a GV of $630k. Welly market is very bouyant now.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Olaf said:

you're golden.  our neighbour a few doors down has just sold for $845k on a GV of $630k. Welly market is very bouyant now.

makes no difference if you are buying and selling in welly

Thanks Olaf pretty stoked i managed to get the job.

Looking to be down and starting work by the middle of next month, aiming to start work on the 17th april so wont be around for the road trip but will be looking to get out to meets once here :) 

• Like 1