Sign in to follow this  
Olaf

missed out by a day or two, damn.

I'd had my eye on an e61 LCI motorsport 535D Touring.  NZ New, all the fruit, low mileage.  Price dropping month by month.  Just waiting for a contract, and 'go' - a quick PPI, Autosure, and pay the $$.  I'd done the groundwork and figured I could afford it, the depreciation (on my business) would work.

Got an offer today.  Bingo!  It's all happening, a new pipeline of work, keep the income running.  Should have that stitched up in a couple of days.

Called the dealer. "that 535D Touring you've had on your website?".  "yes, sold it on Sunday".

Deflated.

There are few 535D Tourings around.  The sedans - currently in the market - are over-priced.  

A decent 530D Sedan would do, prefer a touring though.

So I'm looking at E70 X5 Diesels, NZ New.  Preferably M-Sport.  Am I mad?  My price band indicates I'll be getting under 180k kms.

I know they love brake rotors and pads, and like tryres (around $2k a set at 19 or 20").

I guess there are the same swirl flap concerns, and keeping the transmission serviced, as with the e60.

Anything else I need to know?

cheers.

I'm not a fan of the X5... But that's quite possibly just me. I'd hold out for a Touring.

Missed by a couple of days - I know that feeling. Been looking at a car recently, trying to get to see it but the seller was always busy or away. (Saw it once - I know it exists!) Finally got hold of him again this evening after calling and speaking to him most evenings last week and... He sold it yesterday. "Nah mate, it's gone."

ahh yes i have had a couple of those.One guy had a diesel manual prado on trademenf or MONTHS i tried to get to see it a couple of times,he was always" too busy"

I am a convert to SUVs but i think i would prefer a touring.SUVS are very practiacal huge load carrying ability but they are all too tall. for nice dynamics,even X5's

I had this when buying a house, realestate agents would leave up listings of stuff they sold weeks ago, was very frustrating. 

I assume a dealer would allow you to put a deposit on, that's what I did to at least hold my X5 until I'd sorted my stuff. 

Hard luck Richard, I do like the E60/61 having owned a 530i. The chassis is a real step up from the already very good E39, especially in V8 form. Keep looking mate and make sure you get an LCI version, the old school idrive will drive you nuts if you excuse the pun. Dont overlook the petrol sixes, sure economy isn't quite as good but the N52 and N53 engines provide very good motivation.  

17 hours ago, Olaf said:

I know they love brake rotors and pads, and like tryres (around $2k a set at 19 or 20").

I guess there are the same swirl flap concerns, and keeping the transmission serviced, as with the e60.

The tyres, pads and rotors can be influlenced by your driving style. Unfortunately the X5 does go pretty well and has good on road manners, so you can easily find yourself chucking it about like a car rather than a 2.5tonne truck. That is what tends to chew the tyres, and in particular the brakes as pulling up that amount of momentum does take a bit of effort. If you can avoid the temptation then you can get much better life from the consumables.

Regular maintenance is a must for the 30ltr diesel, if it has been missed or cheaped out on then likely to have issues down the line, regular doses of good quality oil.

Just looking at some notes i made when I test drove an E70. "Best SUV I have driven, but still an SUV" I think that summed it up for me. I was looking for a family hauler with a bit of dirt road capability and in the end I bought a Toyota because I was a bit sick of unreliable Euros at that stage. Go the e61 if you like driving, the E70 is good for what it is but there really is no comparison otherwise. 

• Like 1

many thanks for the feedback, chaps.

Graham, it's not that I'm impatient, it's just I have a limited window - the funds need to get out of my company one way or another... through a vehicle upgrade, or via Salary and PAYE, before the tax year ends.  I've not grown up to Provisional Tax regime yet.  If it comes out in Salaty and PAYE, I'll have to wait to build up another surplus in the new FY before trying again.  Or go through the hassle of making loans to the company, or worse, trying to get small business finance.  I'm preferring to keep things on a cash basis.   I've seen few diesel tourings.  I may have to settle for a sedan.

Paul, indeed the X5 is a great compromise, and yes it would be less attractive - dynamically - over an e61.

Nathan, to be fair the dealership had taken their ad down that day.  I'd even dropped in to see it last week.  My timing was off, pure and simple.   I'm sure the cosmos has something else interesting in store for me.

William, you'll find the E70 oil burners are equipped with swirl flaps.  19's sound like a good compromise, though it seems many of the MSport e70's are equipped with 20's out of the factory.

John, yeah I was finding the e46 less economical than I'd hoped on the daily jaunt to Trentham, so figured that - for that kind of commuting - oil burning should be better on the pocket.  I ran some spreadsheets and found that for the combined driving we've been doing over the last year (plenty of weekend trips away), diesel made sense.  

Now it looks like I'll be working in town - resulting in more walking and less driving for my commute - I still can't commit to petrol (something like a V8 would be interesting).

Jon, thanks for the heads-up.  Yes, I've been reading that the 3.0 likes it's regular maintenance. I'll be happy to put whatever I acquire on to half-distance oil and filters, far less costly in terms of 'insurance'.  Yes, I'm looking for good service histories.

It may be a pre-LCI 530D Sedan - less outlay, less risk.  Buying from AKL I can get a PPI done from one of our forum sponsors.  I've spotted a nice X5 in Motueka, though I think it's getting into the cost and mileage zone where there's more risk for me.   It's a bit like the first time I went to buy a Linn LP12 turntable.  I wasn't well-heeled enough, and there was too much risk for me at the pricepoint I could enter the market at.  A 530D Sedan would do for a year or so... and hopefully wouldn't lose more than 25% of purchase price over a year, and would sell easily enough.  I usually keep my cars 5+ years, seems odd to buy a shorter-term car.

again, appreciate your input, guys!

19 minutes ago, Herbmiester said:

Just looking at some notes i made when I test drove an E70. "Best SUV I have driven, but still an SUV" I think that summed it up for me. I was looking for a family hauler with a bit of dirt road capability and in the end I bought a Toyota because I was a bit sick of unreliable Euros at that stage. Go the e61 if you like driving, the E70 is good for what it is but there really is no comparison otherwise. 

This. I got the X5 because I needed an SUV, not because I was particularly hankering for one. It's great and I have no regreats but it's still a SUV. 

That being said, I like the seating position (more like an office chair for my long legs and arms) and the extra visibility being up high gives me. 

Yes the high seating position is nice and as I am 1.97m I do appreciate some leg room. :) 

Olaf did you do the purchase price difference between a petrol and diesel, then used that cash difference to amortize the cost difference between petrol and diesel taking into account road users and maintenance? I did it for a Hyundai my friend was looking at a while back and we worked out the break even point was 70,000 kms. 

Hi John, I included RUC and maintenance, the maintenance being less frequent but a little more costly with the diesel so not a whole lot different there.  It wasn't the trickest spreadsheet around, though it made me less fearful of buying bunker oil and RUCs.

I don't need the SUV either; I've a low CofG at just 175.  What I have experienced of the X5 suggests it'll be fun enough.  

Oh, and in e60/61 LCI - yes the later iteration of iDrive is better, but the inflated premium of the LCI doesn't stack up for me.  I'd like it, but getting me to part with my hard-earned... well we're approaching X5 territory.

So many variables #8 )

Edited by Olaf

I know this is another can of worms, but would you want to try importing an E61 Motorsport 535d ex UK ?

hi Allan, they look cool but are beyond my means.  I want to stay under $30k incl GST

Perhaps a 535i GT?  Sorry for those of you now barfing on your keyboards!  

Jeevan, I did think about this, doesn't meet my timeframes and I assume a lot of risk.  Founf a beaut on eBay uk this morning, low miles but 18K sterling.  add shipping, gst etc and it's too much.  Unless anyone knows of a low-risk way of importing - could do an LCI 530D e61 ///MSport...???

Just had a quick look at Japan... More than 250 BMW 5-series E60/61... And not one diesel. At least, not that the search filter picked up.

525i, 530i, 540i, 545i, 550i... Sedan or Touring.

yeah I'm gonna take a look at 530i's.  

my thoughts;  3.0 petrol in X5 is a "no no" - nearly as thirsty round town as the V8, without the grunt, and underpowered on the open road.

Might work in a sedan. Here's my thoughts:   I'm thinking the Touring - being heavier - may be too much car for the N52 3.0.  I've always felt that - laden with family - the e46 in 325i is just lacking a little something.  Could a 3.0 Petrol e61 have the same fate?

The economy relative to the power is why I ended up with the 4.8. The 3.0 didn't feel underpowered really but given the small on paper difference... what's the point in not? 

I've a mate who ended up with an X5 3.0Si and regrets it, horrified at round town consumption, disappointed at trip consumption.  Seems to me you made the right choice, though the DD V8 for me (personally) scares me I admire your bravery!   Got photos of yours somewhere on here, Nathan?

The X5 is a bus and combined with 4wd its a lot less economical than a lower CD 2wd vehicle.

4 minutes ago, Olaf said:

I've a mate who ended up with an X5 3.0Si and regrets it, horrified at round town consumption, disappointed at trip consumption.  Seems to me you made the right choice, though the DD V8 for me (personally) scares me I admire your bravery!   Got photos of yours somewhere on here, Nathan?

We're DD'ing the 500SE... (Or were until the bottom tank of the rad sprung a leak! Should be sorted tomorrow.) Can't be much worse on consumption? That said, we spend very little time sitting in traffic or driving around town.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Olaf said:

I'm lucky, I walk a few blocks to my office, so most of my driving is open road where I can return down to 9L per 100km on flat motorway, if I really try. 

Photos below, it's the standard vanilla without the Motorsport, but it suits my needs. Personally I found the MS setup very harsh, so I'm happy with my 19's and normal tyres. It also seemed to have most of the options in terms of comfort and heated/cooled seats. 

IMG_1515.JPG

IMG_1517.JPG

IMG_1518.JPG

IMG_1519.JPG

IMG_1522.JPG

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Breaker said:

It's not a bimmer but it is a big arse stoking deisel!

I do seriously love our D3 S8 and this is pretty good VFM.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/audi/auction-1276430774.htm

that's actually kind of tempting!  High mileage and complex high-end German certainly has risks.  What's to be aware of on something like this?

• Like 1