Sign in to follow this  
kwhelan

Top Gear season 24

It was okay, but its still not a touch on the grand tour or top gear with clarkson, hammond and may.

Much better with chris evans gone though.

Have you guys watched any of The Grand Tour? I find it's more Top Gear than Top Gear and goes bonkers on the budget. Amazon clearly has more money to sink than the BBC does and it shows, in generally a good way. It can be a bit contrived at times (Conversation Street is ridiculous) and the magic trio is a bit rough, almost like trying to regain their rhythm, but it's a damn good show and the intro scene from the first episode really sets the tone.

On Top Gear s24, I'll watch. I liked 23, minus Chris Evans, so it should go uphill from there, I hope.

There's so much other YouTube based content with real car enthusiast talking about and driving cars of all kinds.

I don't see the point in watching either Top Gear or the Grand Tour. Nothing new or that interesting there anymore. 

• Like 1

I have to agree with Michael. I've watched a few episodes of the grand tour and I found it to be a lot contrived. The trio were trying far to hard  and the skits were way to over the top.

There far more interesting content to be watched online. While I'm not really into fast fours I do enjoy watching Mighty Car Mods and particularly enjoyed the Mini turbo episodes and very much was interested in the Turbo vrs Supercharger MX5's. Interesting to see the differences in power delivery between the 2 on the Dyno and how that related to the track.

• Like 1

Six episodes in and I like this new Top Gear (sans Evans) more than I like The Grand Tour.

Clarkson erupting and the other kids throwing their toys out of the cot might have actually saved Top Gear. These new three (+) have injected a new life into Top Gear IMHO and LeBlanc is doing a pretty good job. Harris has yet to find his stride I think but if/when he does he could be brilliant.

On the other hand I find The Grand Tour rather underwhelming, it's just three old geezers regurgitating schoolboy humour from a bygone era to a cursory backdrop of cars. That's pretty much what I thought Top Gear was becoming. But at least Top Gear had guests, this 'Grand Tour 'kill the guest' thing is beyond its 'use by' date.

Edited by M3AN
  • Like 1

Thought it was gastly last year with Evans, but really enjoying this season. Think Le Blanc's doing well for a Yank actor on a Pomme car show and the other two have their strengths and they all compliment each other well.

The Grand Tour's OK, still enjoy the genuine bants between the three of them but there is a lot of contrived set up BS. 

Was interesting seeing there reviews of the Alpha and how similar they were and they even chose the same (ish) Maserati for their Cuba story and what ever they did on GT (can't remember) .

agreed, really enjoyed this season amazing turn around, eddie is terrible, sabine is odd and paul harris needs  better lines and timing but you can see it getting better, had some great cars too which has helped

• Like 2

matts sections with the heavy machinery are bloody clever and a breath of fresh air, great new idea

Every time one of these threads pops up on a car forum it seems the majority are on the hate train for one show or the other.

I prefer Roadkill as an entertainment show over both of them.
I can't handle the accents in Might Car Mods though.

• Like 1