Sign in to follow this  
Kepes

School me on standalone ECU wiring

Howdy,

I'm new to all of this and have done a fair bit of research but before I go splicing wires I need a wee bit of guidance and someone to say "Yup looks good" or "Wrong, x needs to go to y" etc. If I'm way off it'll be going to a pro, but why not give it a crack myself first.

I'm using a Link G4 Storm and the stock Motronic 1.3 harness. Plan is to just remove the 55pin connector, strip the wires, crimp to wires on the Link harness and heat shrink.
M20B27 block, M20B25 head, add a turbo.

A few things I'm unsure of:
On the pinout guide I'm using for the Motronic, pin 8 is labelled as "Cylinder ID Sensor," as is pin 31. Which of these is for the crank position sensor, and which is the cam sensor/wire on the spark plug wires? 
Pin 36 "Main relay output," does this connect to a digital input on the link side?
Pin 37 "Switched power from main relay," does this connect to an Auxiliary output on the link?
Throttle position sensor - can the stock M20 one be used?
Lastly, the are two "engine speed inputs" on the motronic, pin 47 & 48, do these both connect to the link digital inputs? 

Appreciate any input. I've attached images of what I plan on doing so far in terms of what's getting connected to what. For the most part it's pretty straightforward, but I have put a "?" in the left column of the things I'm unsure of 

Thanks team!

EDIT: This diagram/table is very wrong, please don't use it! I am almost finished with a new table which is (somewhat) correct. I will post it here soon so people can use it if need be.

Page_1_hand_written.png
Page_2_hand_written.png

Edited by Kepes
  • Like 1

Figured I would update this in case anybody was looking for this info in the future. There is almost nothing directly related to Link ECU and E30s, took me a long time to figure this all out seeing as it was my first time. If anyone finds this and can take something from it, great! 

ps. If using anything other than stock ignition (distributor + rotor) you'll need to use the cam ID sensor. It's the wire from the HT leads, pin 8 & 31 on the motronic 1.3. 8 being the ground, 31 signal. Also note I'm using a E36 TPS, not the stock E30 one. Stock harness can be used just swap a couple of the pins at the sensor end. 
E30 TPS: Pin 1 = Closed
                Pin 2 = Ground
                Pin 3 = Open (WOT)
E36 TPS:
                Pin 1 = Ground
                Pin 2 = Signal
                Pin 3 = 5V Ref

pps. This is not necessarily correct. It has not yet been tested. I'll report back once it's all together but it looks good to my amateur eye.

Final.png

Edited by Kepes

I'd have thought Link would be able to answer your questions/tell you about the function of their unit.  

Looks like good sussing, Toby!  Though whether or not it's correct I can't tell you.  

10 hours ago, Olaf said:

I'd have thought Link would be able to answer your questions/tell you about the function of their unit.  

Where's the fun in that?! ^_^ Actually Link were helpful, I did ask them a couple of questions and they were quick to get back to me. There's only one way to find out whether or not it's correct!

• Like 1

Looking good.

Other inputs / outputs to consider

Crash / rollover sensor ( fuel cut / fuel pump off or main relay control)

Aircon control  ( off under 70% or more throttle angle, idle compensation) is this covered by idle speed control or does need to be an input ?

Cold start valve (output , trigger on water temp)

Wheel speed sensors for abs ..... does LINK  support any forms of traction control ?

Aux cooling fan on ( based on water or oil temp)

Wet weather switch input ( limit boost / map)

Nos and methanol injection ...... maybe later ?

Cheers Neal B)

22 hours ago, Neal said:

Crash / rollover sensor ( fuel cut / fuel pump off or main relay control)

Never even thought about this but definitely worth having, I think I'll try to get it running on the link as is and then add things like this and electronic boost control.

22 hours ago, Neal said:

Aircon control  ( off under 70% or more throttle angle, idle compensation) is this covered by idle speed control or does need to be an input ?

My particular car didn't have this option, ha. Not sure how it's compensated for to be honest. Regardless, cap pointing backwards and arm hanging out the window is cooler, right? 

22 hours ago, Neal said:

Cold start valve (output , trigger on water temp)

Never really heard of this, is it in addition to the fuel injectors or just a part of the ECU which controls the amount of fuel needed based on temp? I will have an intake air temp sensor.

22 hours ago, Neal said:

Wheel speed sensors for abs ..... does LINK  support any forms of traction control ?

From what I can see the only form of traction control is launch control

Edited by Kepes

Sorry not sure what I did there :wacko: ^

22 hours ago, Neal said:

Wet weather switch input ( limit boost / map)

Only running mechanical boost to start with (1bar wastegate spring) but EBC will be on the cards in the future for exactly this reason

No doubt I'll want more power in the future, we'll see what happens :)

Thanks again for the input!

On 4/6/2017 at 10:28 PM, Kepes said:

ps. If using anything other than stock ignition (distributor + rotor) you'll need to use the cam ID sensor. It's the wire from the HT leads, pin 8 & 31 on the motronic 1.3. 8 being the ground, 31 signal. Also note I'm using a E36 TPS, not the stock E30 one

You could run wasted spark with just the trigger wheel off the crank and no dizzy or cylinder ID sensor. If you want to run sequential fuel or igniton then you'll need a cam position sensor.

Idle control the M20 runs a 3 wire bosch idle valve, the link should be able to control. 

Crash / roll protection; not exactly the same but most ECU's and im sure the link will to, will switch the fuel pump off when the engine isnt running.. i.e crashed and turned ignition off or engine stalled. Not fool proof, but its there.

aircon control it can take an input and will increase idle speed.

The M20 generally has just a wot/idle switch, not a potentiometer style throttle posistion sensor which you'll want. The 6 wire TPS some e30's with the EGS auto trans had one thatll bolt straight up. or, make an adaptor plate and fit a E36 one.

• Like 1

Cheers mate, you're a lot more clued up than me

Yup the link handles the ICV fine, I wasn't sure it would and I was thinking of deleting it but I'll be keeping it now

I asked link about using the stock TPS and this was their response "It could be used but for best results (good accel fuelling) a variable voltage type is highly recommended." So im going with the E36 one and gonna get an adapter made

Awesome to see someone else with a standalone M20 in the works! For the TPS switch I got a 3D printed adaptor from a guy in the USA for about $20 which is to mount an E36 or M50 TPS to the M20 throttle body. Haven't fitted it up yet but it looks like it should be easy as. I can post up some more details when I get home on Thursday.

Keep us updated on your build!

How are you getting a long with this? The m20 loom is really basic, and wont use the full potential of the link... ie batch injection etc, where the link can run sequential, and the rest of the wiring mods you'll need to do.. Just rip it all out and start from scratch :)

5 hours ago, Autobahn said:

Awesome to see someone else with a standalone M20 in the works! For the TPS switch I got a 3D printed adaptor from a guy in the USA for about $20 which is to mount an E36 or M50 TPS to the M20 throttle body. Haven't fitted it up yet but it looks like it should be easy as. I can post up some more details when I get home on Thursday.

Keep us updated on your build!

Thanks! Hopefully it all works, but it is actually quite straight forward once you know what you're looking at. Ahh nice I was wondering what I would do for that. If you could put up some more details that would be wicked. 

23 minutes ago, polley said:

How are you getting a long with this? The m20 loom is really basic, and wont use the full potential of the link... ie batch injection etc, where the link can run sequential, and the rest of the wiring mods you'll need to do.. Just rip it all out and start from scratch :)

I chopped the motronic connection off of the harness and used butt connectors to connect to the link loom. It's solid but doesn't look the tidiest. Won't matter when it's tucked under the dash. Wasted spark is something I will most likely do in the future, just want to get it running first though. Everything's just sitting in my room, hopefully will start pulling the motor etc in a couple of months and we'll see if I did it right :unsure:

IMG_4106.JPG.92c8e7e50afa1622f25b568b9c35ec3b.JPG

Edited by Kepes

Here we go found the link of the guy I got it from. Looks well made and like I said - haven't fitted it yet as the engine is still sitting in my donor car, but seems well made.

https://squaredmotorwerks.com/products/m50-tps-adapter

Edited by Autobahn
  • Like 1

On 6/4/2017 at 10:46 PM, Autobahn said:

Here we go found the link of the guy I got it from. Looks well made and like I said - haven't fitted it yet as the engine is still sitting in my donor car, but seems well made.

https://squaredmotorwerks.com/products/m50-tps-adapter

Awesome, thank you for that

Not yet unfortunately! Found a garage to rent and will be beginning the build mid October. Will report back on how it turns out B)

Edited by Kepes