Sign in to follow this  
Olaf

so what about these new Michelin Pilot Sport 4...

anyone running them?  how are they?   Did you run PS3 or PS2 beforehand?  or Bridgestone Potenza RE-003?

The hype is that the new Michelin Pilot Sport 4 tyres are sh*t hot, and better than the PS3 before them.

Still, Bridgestone are out with the RE-004 soon too... at least war this isn't Betamax vs VHS!

Your experiences appreciated.

Edited by Olaf

I used to get all hung up about putting the best tyres on my M3 and you know what...the Falken 452's I have on now are the best all round tyre I have had. Great price too. One day I just woke up and asked myself what am I trying to prove. My Conti's and Bridgestones lasted about 12k.

• Like 2

Ordered a set, will go on when my new wheels arrive in a few weeks. I'll find out then :)

A guy at work just ordered Pilot Sport 4S's for his Aston Martin from tire-rack, because it was 42% cheaper than here, all shipping and GST included B)

• Like 2

Just bought a set of PS4's. Got them for $1420 fitted and balanced. 245/40/18 and 275/35/18 sizes.

Coming from Pilot Super Sports these seem to be every bit as good, particularly in the recent Auckland rain.

IMG_2842.JPG

IMG_2850.JPG

• Like 3

On 3/13/2017 at 0:19 PM, Allanw said:

A guy at work just ordered Pilot Sport 4S's for his Aston Martin from tire-rack, because it was 42% cheaper than here, all shipping and GST included B)

How did he manage that? Ship to a freight forwarding company in USA first?

By contrast I imported 235/40/18 & 265/35/18s PSS for $2200. 18 months back.( could not import or get re11) The PS4 which is replacing the PSS & PS3 is supposed to be better in all areas.

At $1420 that's a bargain and looks the way to go next time.

edit, looks like two versions of tyre

ps3 becomes ps4

PSS becomes PS4s

Edited by Neal

29 minutes ago, Neal said:

edit, looks like two versions of tyre

ps3 becomes ps4

PSS becomes PS4s

Corrrrrrrrecto.

The PS4S is only available in 19 inch and above at the moment. So those of us using smaller wheels can only get the PS4.

There will be an 18 inch version at some point

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/Michelin-Pilot-Sport-4-S-Press-Release.htm

Edited by Matth5

52 minutes ago, 3pedals said:

Ps-3 was not the sharpest tyre but a very good performer- the PS 4 looks like they have addressed that - keen to see them in 17's  or its off to Super sports to sharpen up the 328.

you'd need to be quick, as the Super Sports have also been superseded - by the PS-4'S' (as Neal stated above).  Not sure the 4S is here in godzone yet.

^^^^

Yes couldn't get my slight oversize option for PSS here yet comon size for small Porsche models (235/40/18 + 265/35/18)

Edited by Neal

3 hours ago, 3pedals said:

Likely to get a set from the tire rack as they are discounting them currently -  NZ stocking strategies are sh*t  so unlikely they have both sizes anyway.

so do Tire Rack ship direct to Niu Zild, or do you use a frieght forwarder? 

Jeez, I'm trying to create a login with Tire Rack (shocks) and my US address is fine, my NZ billing address is not - they just can't think beyond the border of the US of Eh?

@Neal @3pedals  how do you guys get around that with Tire Rack?

Edited by Olaf

ahh, paying by paypal might be the answer.

edit:  BZZZZZT.  This merchant only accepts payment from accounts registered in the United States. 

Edited by Olaf

57 minutes ago, 3pedals said:

Last time I used the Mainfreight location as billing address and paid by Visa - no issues

That trick will work with some sellers but not all. In the USA and Europe they can do "address verification" against credit cards. Google does that, foiled my attempts to get a Nexus phone before, lol. 

in this case their online form won't allow me to register my NZ card address as my billing address.  This is for a vanilla account, with no product associated.  So of course when I come to pay, no dice. 

and yes, they're refusing external paypal accounts.

Edited by Olaf

How much does one save on tires when ordering from the US versus buying local?

They will take a international money order and you will need to call them. Having said that they are easier to deal with and I've found shipping to be roughly one week if you air freight .

Btw , they can't export Bridgestone tyres anymore. So the stuff like re11 and re71 can't be brought in nor are they locally available. (Bridgestone told me to try tirerack last time for tires they don't import)

I used kiwishipping to bring a couple of clutch and flywheel sets about 2 years ago. Took about 9 weeks to get to my door.

Olaf

just checked my last order.

Payment by bank transfer.

I just emailed on of the sales reps with what I was after and he got the pricing and payment details together.

Roughly a couple of days for transfers due to time zones. 

Shipping of four tyres was $325 USD and order fully tracked.

• Like 1

People at Mexico City airport used to look at me funny when I'd be picking up tyres off of the luggage carousel along with my luggage. "but you can buy tyres here in Mexico, sir".  "Indeed yes, but not Pirelli P600 in 205/55 R14 you can't"

Thanks to VW and their odd sizes (1988 Golf GTi 16v - it was the P600 or a Yokohama and that was it!).

• Like 1

On 15/03/2017 at 10:59 PM, Michael. said:

How did he manage that? Ship to a freight forwarding company in USA first?

Not sure, but probably - he uses You Shop a lot, maybe kiwishipping too???

Because they are 4S's, he could only get them from the Aston Martin dealer here, so he tire-racked them.

NZ$4800 here, NZ$2800 there.

I must find out what his Mrs drives too. He Has an Aston Martin V8 Vantage, AND a Lotus Elise.

• Like 1

Currently Hyper is doing a buy one get one half price deal on Michelins etc

4x PS4's in the common 235/45/17 size is a mere $750, excellent value for a marvelous tyre

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Eagle said:

Currently Hyper is doing a buy one get one half price deal on Michelins etc

4x PS4's in the common 235/45/17 size is a mere $750, excellent value for a marvelous tyre

Wow that's really good, I paid about $850 for my set last year. Highly recommend them, excellent performance in the wet.