Sign in to follow this  
Olaf

My new SS Commodore... in a sharp german suit

17 minutes ago, Olaf said:

:wacko: because we don't have a vomit emoji.  Blahdy hell, that'd be sad if they're selling Gull at Mobil.  

Is Mobil 98 working well for you, Brent?  Do you run that across all three vehicles?

Yeah been on it for a while, except for the xr6 that gets dirt cheap 91 from work. E38 and S8 both run sweet on it. No concerns at all.

Helps with Farmsource account I get 16cents off pump price :) at Mobil as well 

• Like 1

On 6/12/2017 at 8:01 AM, GorGasm said:

I can't see anything on Mobil's site about their 98 having ethanol in it.  Do you have a reference?

And my AA smart fuel only ever gets me 6 to 10c off a litre so maybe I don't use it right.  Still puts it at least 15c more a litre than Mobil as they give 6c off for $40 or more purchased.  The thing that got me was one day BP was $2.40 for 98.  I gave up on them at that point.

I still go to BP just for pies and coffee though haha.

you have to go in multple times to get the accumulated saving.So each time you go in use your smartcard and ask to "save".They have conditions.You must buy at least 40 dollars worth(or is it 40 litres?)And when you go to "cash in your savings" the savings only apply to the first 50 litres.So to play the game you only piut in the minimum as often as you can ,and only get 50 litres when you fill up and start again....you can accumlate some quite nice savings but it is a bit of a hassle.Its easy for me,i drive past a BP every day .

You can get a smartphone app to keep track of your savings and to see when they said savings start to expire.

Edited by kiwi535
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, kiwi535 said:

you have to go in multple times to get the accumulated saving.So each time you go in use your smartcard and ask to "save".They have conditions.You must buy at least 40 dollars worth(or is it 40 litres?)And when you go to "cash in your savings" the savings only apply to the first 50 litres.So to play the game you only piut in the minimum as often as you can ,and only get 50 litres when you fill up and start again....you can accumlate some quite nice savings but it is a bit of a hassle.Its easy for me,i drive past a BP every day .

You can get a smartphone app to keep track of your savings and to see when they said savings start to expire.

Running a V8 and V10 on 98 in Welly I am well versed in this :blink: but only recently clicked to the 50l max ...

I trade in $2.15 in savings for 50litres.  The cashiers usually make a fuss - it's as though they don't see that very often.  Redeem, pay no money for your 50 litres.  Small satisfaction.

Best to gas up on the 10c days.  BP or Caltex. You only take multiples of $40 (eg you need to spend $40 to be able to accumulate.  You can clock up two lots of $40 before you go in to pay.  If you've room for another, you can pre-pay at the counter.  "Accumulate" or "Redeem".  Who doesn't dig on redemption?  

I'm not sure Mobil still serve 98 in Wellington? Kilbirnie and Jville both use 95 instead now. Also very annoying is that the 98 handle at BP is light blue, and the 91 at Mobil is the exact same baby blue :rolleyes: made that mistake once. (You're thinking - "an M20B25 needs 98?," yes, unfortunately.) 

Saving the discount is just shifting the time at which you make the saving...

• Like 2

On 6/13/2017 at 8:48 PM, TermiPeteNZ said:

Running a V8 and V10 on 98 in Welly I am well versed in this :blink: but only recently clicked to the 50l max ...

the self serve caltex at Kaiwhara probably has the cheapest pump price in welly....It is still branded Caltex but i think it is now Z.They arent as cheap late last year i was buying diesel there at less than $1 a litre.Since their prices have come back to about 5c cheaper than else where i can get better savings by playing the smartcard game

On 6/14/2017 at 8:01 AM, GorGasm said:

Saving the discount is just shifting the time at which you make the saving...

esp if you forget and let some savings expire!There may be a slight gain by playing the game but you are basically right

On 6/14/2017 at 3:11 AM, Kepes said:

I'm not sure Mobil still serve 98 in Wellington? Kilbirnie and Jville both use 95 instead now. Also very annoying is that the 98 handle at BP is light blue, and the 91 at Mobil is the exact same baby blue :rolleyes: made that mistake once. (You're thinking - "an M20B25 needs 98?," yes, unfortunately.) 

If your m20b25 needs 98 then, in theory, I shouldn't be running my relatively (factory) high compression m20b27 on 95...? :wacko:

Back on topic... 

Yesterday at 158190kms I had Page European drain my trans and refill with their brand of full synth DexVI (I think they're using Titan, now).  Also installed one of my new door seals (acquired from @BM WORLD)... I've been too damned busy to get to that job myself.

I asked what the fluid was like that came out of it was like.  'used; brown (not black), not burnt smelling but certainly "used" oil'.  Sounds like we're lucky with the timing.  When it's black and burnt smelling you've lost friction material from your plates, and it's suspended in your ATF.

I've only driven it home, first impression was that it was shifting a little smoother. I'll know better when I've driven it from cold (later this morning). 

It's the first step in Trans service, in a couple of weeks time it goes back to have:

• drain
  • drop pan
  • replace mechatronics sleeve seal
  • new pan/filter/magnets/bolts
  • refill with fresh Dex VI.

It's gonna take me a couple of weeks to clock up 500kms, I've dropped the big daily commute now

• Like 6

Keeping this thread up to date:

Today at 158460kms my trans service was completed

• New pan/filter, bolts, mechatronic sleeve, fill plug; Fuchs synthetic Dex VI (as above), plus
  • Diff service (new drain and fill plugs, Fuchs synthetic oil)
  • Replaced left front door seal

Page European did the work, very pleased.

I may get to change the engine oil and filter this weekend, if it's not raining too much.

EDIT:  here's the link to the thread where I investigated what approach and ATF were most appropriate.  If you have a ZF 6HP trans, you should find this useful 

Edited by Olaf
added link to research
  • Like 1

Today 158534kms, oil change and filter.  My first on the 545i.  

Used Penrite HPR 5W40.  and  Hengst oil filter, which is OEM filter (Hengst genuine filter housing), and the same filter as was used last time.

It now sounds better when starting, and runs smoother.  Result.

May replace the oil filter housing, as it's drain bolt seems seized.  Didn't want to faff around trying to free it up in case the car ended up incapacitated.  

Noteworthy:  the Hengst filter comes with a new filter housing o-ring, copper drain plug crush washer, and another o-ring seal for the filter drain plug included in the box.  Bonus!  

IMG_4609.jpg

• Like 4

PS - 8.5 litres is a lot of oil to drain!  We had the car on ramps on my mate's gently-sloping driveway, with rear wheels chocked.  Running a pair of cascading drain pans (leveraging the gradient), worked out fine.  I may have to get a 10 litre pan.

• Like 1

159590kms.  Changed cabin filters.  Easier than I expected.

The iDrive had said they were due to be changed.  I picked up Meyle charcoal filter sets as they were cheap.  Pretty good, though noted a couple less pleats than the OEM Mann filters that I removed.

Now I need to reset the iDrive to tell it I'd done that oil change and cabin filter change.  Brake fluid is due.

• Like 2

159648kms wheel alignment.  Feels much better; suspension has settled since replacement about 5000kms ago (and I kerbed left front in parking building last week - arggh).

Edited by Olaf
kms

2 hours ago, Olaf said:

159xxxkms wheel alignment.  Feels much better; suspension has settled since replacement about 5000kms ago (and I kerbed left front in parking building last week - arggh).

ouch....disadvantages of bigger cars,feel the need to park out of harms way = less margin for error for the poor wheels

33 minutes ago, kiwi535 said:

ouch....disadvantages of bigger cars,feel the need to park out of harms way = less margin for error for the poor wheels

I've never touched it parking; this was a tall gnarly kerb on the narrow up-ramp of a parking building :(

yesterday 159748kms (total distance since acquisition 7,454kms):

• brake fluid service
  • coolant system flushed replaced green coolant with BMW coolant
  • replaced both halo ring bulbs with new Hella items (I'd had an intermittent fault with one on acquisition, and they were dim)
  • tested battery (healthy) - I'd flattened it a couple of weeks ago, needed to be sure it was good.
  • engine and trans wash (looking to ID source of oil leaks)
  • reset iDrive service computer (recent oil change, cabin filter change, and the brake fluid service).

keepng maintenance up to date.  Back to Page European late next week to check on status of those minor leaks.

Edited by Olaf
commentary.

51 minutes ago, Olaf said:

yesterday 159748kms (total distance since acquisition 7,454kms):

• brake fluid service
  • coolant system flushed replaced green coolant with BMW coolant
  • replaced both halo ring bulbs with new Hella items (I'd had an intermittent fault with one on acquisition, and they were dim)
  • tested battery (healthy) - I'd flattened it a couple of weeks ago, needed to be sure it was good.
  • engine and trans wash (looking to ID source of oil leaks)
  • reset iDrive service computer (recent oil change, cabin filter change, and the brake fluid service).

keepng maintenance up to date.  Back to Page European late next week to check on status of those minor leaks.

I had replace the battery not too long ago. :)

Pretty sure it has only had BMW coolant . . . Driscolls use BMW coolant in Bimmers. They gave me a bottle gratis at one point for top ups.

The diligence with which you maintain your vehicles has to make you one of the best people to buy a car off! Always a good plan to buy off an enthusiast. 

• Like 4

Thanks Pete, I appreciate your kind words.  Perhaps I should get a sheepskin coat an an Arthur Daley Homburg hat ?

Driscoll had used green coolant, it was indeed replaced in that big service you had done last year.  I only had it changed to BMW coz I'm fussy.

I figured the batty wasn't that old (found a new batty terminal cover in the boot), but as I'd managed to flatten it unexpectedly, thought it was better checked out.

The car's nearly where I want it; driving very close to a new one.  Though my wife did wonder aloud yesterday how much I'd spent on it since acquisition (!)

Hell, it was circa $160 or 170k when new.  At 10+ years of age and circa 100k miles, cars like that can't be run like a Camry... or if they are, not for very long!  

• Like 1

Since I last updated, I had annual service check and WoF done.  Ahead of the WoF I had the seat ocvupancy Mat replaced (the light had come up on the dashboard, and was diagnosed).  The intelligent battery sensor cable that I sourced isn’t a direct replacement (it’s an updated part), so install was deferred.

And, significantly, the PCV diaphragms were replaced (there’s one for each bank in the N62), which seems to have reduced smoking at idle.

I’ve been away down south, and the car ran beautifully.

On the weekend, this happened:

A9F89231-653F-4822-A1FC-41A51EFB7E24.jpeg

Batty was as flat as a totally flattened thing.  Couldn't get it idling after a jumpstart.  Flat-decked to workshop (thanks AA!) yesterday.

Now it's getting batty recharged, investigation, update to the new Intelligent Battery Sensor, and battery fully tested.   Also checking to see any recalcitrant items not shutting down correctly.

Edited by Olaf
more info

161785kms.  Adaptor cables fitted along with the new IBS cable; battery fully recharged and tested okay, vehicle monitored for 6 hrs okay.  Result.  I’m driving it today. 

Need to get an alignment as I hit a pothole on SH1 south of Picton.

Vacuum pump under investigation.

• Like 1

161xxxkms - another go on the Hunter 4 wheel alignment.  it's much nicer now, all square and ship-shape.  drove out to the hutt valley and enjoyed the feel on the motorway.

Damned potholes!   Good to have it running sweetly.

Next step:  replacement NZ-spec number plates.  Filling in the forms today.

On 10/19/2017 at 11:30 AM, Olaf said:
6 hours ago, Olaf said:

161xxxkms - another go on the Hunter 4 wheel alignment.  it's much nicer now, all square and ship-shape.  drove out to the hutt valley and enjoyed the feel on the motorway.

Damned potholes!   Good to have it running sweetly.

Next step:  replacement NZ-spec number plates.  Filling in the forms today.

Hunter ? is that when they balance the wheels on the car?

10 hours ago, kiwi535 said:

Hunter ? is that when they balance the wheels on the car?

although Hunter do produce that kind of machine, I've not seen one in NZ.