Sign in to follow this  
Olaf

My new SS Commodore... in a sharp german suit

17 August 2018.  170,166km.

• Replaced front and rear brake rotors (genuine BMW) & retaining screws
  • Replaced slider pins and boots front and rear
  • Replaced front and rear pads & sensors (Hawk Performance HPS)
  • Replaced handbrake shoes and hardware (OEM Pagid)
  • Flushed and replaced brake fluid
  • Replaced sunroof seal (Genuine BMW).

Out tomorrow morning to bed in the pads.

Edited by Olaf
  • Like 1

Went out and did the bed-in on an early-morning drive today.   Successive cycles of around 80-100 down to 10... cool downs, then rinse and repeat.  Feel has markedly improved.  Measured temps at start of cooldown (LASER thermometers are the coolest of toys tools, eh?), found left rear rotor 10 degrees (33%) hotter than the others, wondered about a lazy caliper.  Seems to have come right on the run back to Wellington.  Now just a (fresh, new) CEL to check.  

• Like 1

21 August 2018.  170338kms

CEL came up while I was bedding in the brakes.  Quick check this afternoon, they found the intake boot had come loose - big air leak, over-fueling, running rough.

All sorted now, codes cleared, running like a Swiss watch.  ?.   Thanks Page European!

How are you finding the HPS pads?  I need to sort pads on all my cars.  It's going to be an expensive exercise as it would be a shame to not replace the disks at the same time :S

6 hours ago, GorGasm said:

How are you finding the HPS pads?  I need to sort pads on all my cars.  It's going to be an expensive exercise as it would be a shame to not replace the disks at the same time :S

Early days, yet.  I'll give my thoughts after a decent drive, really only commuting at the moment.  

21 September 2018.  170807kms

fewer kms over the last month.  I've driven the e30 a few times instead.  I got the Dynamic Drive system reset/recalibrated.  Steering feels better.  Sadly no new alignment until next saturday, Kelvin's fully booked this Saturday.  I'll sort out a vidjo of it - makes cool noises as it dances like Thom Yorke.  

Anyway, here's Thom dancing, while ya'll wait for me to edit a video...

https://youtu.be/DpVfF4U75B8

29 September 2018.  171204kms

WoF.  Passed with flying colours.  Kurt at VTNZ Adelaide Road is a Bimmer-head as well, we talked about his e39 540i ///M.

Next stop:  new MBI, as the current one expires on Monday.  That'll be my BMW Car Club NZ annual membership paying for itself ?

• Like 2

Oh, and impressions of the Hawk Performance HPS, now I've done a few kms (1,038), and some touring.... @GorGasm you were asking previously.

I'm happy with them.  I think the car stops shorter (when I need to), has more modulation, doesn't take much heat to get working.  Not the initial HARD BITE of OEM BMW pads.  Much lower dusting, which is a bonus.  But if you're needing serious retardation and are late braking before a bend, these are good in my estimation.

So, in balance, I like them and am happy with them.  They have much better feel than Akebono Euros on my e46; the Akebonos on my e46 take a lot longer to stop when they're cold, lack bite, have plenty of modulation, though don't shorten stopping distance.  

I'd probably put HPS on my e46 if the Akebonos ever wear out!

UPDATE: Jan 2024 I did put Hawk HPS on the e46 in Jan 2023.  I'm really impressed with HPS on both cars, when stopping's the requirement they pull you up short.  Low dust - less than half that of OE.  HPS also on my e30.  I'm sold.

Edited by Olaf
kms, Jan 2024 update on HPS pads
  • Like 1

Thanks for the feedback, will definitely consider for my stable.  The random pads my cars came with are filthy bastards.

• Thanks 1

Do ceramic pads wear the rotors faster? There’s so much conjecture out there. I’d be interested to hear your impressions @Olaf

8 minutes ago, NZ BMW said:

Do ceramic pads wear the rotors faster? There’s so much conjecture out there. I’d be interested to hear your impressions @Olaf

I dunno.  I installed the ceramic pads and new (slotted) rotors together back in Sept 2013, done ~75,000km & 5 years on them and the rotors look great.

Edited by Olaf
typo 2013

9 December 2018.  171760kms

Prep for service:

1.  Replaced hood support struts.  I was jump-starting my neighbour during a storm a couple of weeks back, and the bonnet slammed down on my jumper cables.  Fortunately no damage.  They clearly needed replacing.  Sourced OEM Stabilus, they're easy to install.

IMG_1426.JPG

(1) Old struts.  Slow to rise, fail in winds.

IMG_4663.JPG

(2) And the new struts, push together right to the top of the travel, and raise the hood from approx 2/3 of travel.  I'm sure they'll work better in Wellington's winds.  

2.  Replaced Air Filter.  Bit over a year since the last one.  Another Hengst E728L.  Easy job. 

IMG_3689.thumb.JPG.9e8fd36c4f7315d42eaaa47962597bfa.JPG

(last changed Mar 2017, 152k kms)

3.  Replaced Cabin Filters, cleaned the surrounding area of debris. I bought a second set of Meyle filters last time, they were cheap.  replace in pairs.

IMG_5537.JPG

Tomorrow's a general (annual) service for the MBI.  Oil & Filter, Coolant, anything else required.

Edited by Olaf
images
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Olaf said:

1.  Replaced hood support struts.  I was jump-starting my neighbour during a storm a couple of weeks back, and the bonnet slammed down on my jumper cables.  Fortunately no damage.  They clearly needed replacing.  Sourced OEM Stabilus, they're easy to install.

This was the first thing that needed to be done on my M5 … a droopy bonnet sucks! :)

• Like 1

(after doing those simple jobs, I was a bit cream crackered.  This recuperation business takes time.)

On 9/29/2018 at 2:58 PM, Olaf said:

29 September 2018.  171204kms

WoF.  Passed with flying colours.  Kurt at VTNZ Adelaide Road is a Bimmer-head as well, we talked about his e39 540i ///M.

Next stop:  new MBI, as the current one expires on Monday.  That'll be my BMW Car Club NZ annual membership paying for itself ?

Is there some kind of discount you can get via the BMW Car Club?

33 minutes ago, NZ BMW said:

Is there some kind of discount you can get via the BMW Car Club?

Yes indeed!  BMW Car Club NZ has a range of member benefits negotiated with supporter businesses, accessed by production of a current membership card.  The saving from membership discount on 3 years of MBI far exceeds the annual membership fee.  I recently accessed club discount when purchasing a new radiator through a local supplier.  In addition to the quarterly magazine, camaraderie, social events, trips/cruises, and MANZ affiliation, the discounts seal the deal; it's great value! ?  /plug.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Olaf said:

Yes indeed!  BMW Car Club NZ has a range of member benefits negotiated with supporter businesses, accessed by production of a current membership card.  The saving from membership discount on 3 years of MBI far exceeds the annual membership fee.  I recently accessed club discount when purchasing a new radiator through a local supplier.  In addition to the quarterly magazine, camaraderie, social events, trips/cruises, and MANZ affiliation, the discounts seal the deal; it's great value! ?  /plug.

Yeah I looked on the site but I couldn’t see what the actual list of benefits was... 

which MBI and how much?

On 12/10/2018 at 9:03 AM, NZ BMW said:

Yeah I looked on the site but I couldn’t see what the actual list of benefits was... 

which MBI and how much?

We provide this information to members, it's updated as new suppliers are added.  In practice It often takes the form of "hey I'm looking for a ______, who's our club supporter, and what's our arrangement?"  "talk to ______".    In this case, our supplier is an agent for AUTOSURE, with 15% off to members.  

Worked example:  Recommended retail is $1,395 on the AUTOSURE GOLD policy for Euro (Cat C)**, duration 36mths, excess $450.

Looking at my invoice, I saved more than 15%, result!  $90 membership fee recouped in one fell swoop, and then some.

Hope that helps.

** Note all Autosure restrictions apply, this summary is not intended to provide detailed policy info.

• Like 1

10 December 2018.  171765kms (19,571 since acquisition)

Service.  Keeping up with the requirements of the MBI.  And sensible maintenance/care.

1.  Oil & Filter.  Also replaced filter housing (OEM Hengst), as the filter drain plug was seized. (there are two drain plugs on the N62.  One in the oil pan, one in the centre of the filter housing).  Fuchs GT1 Proflex 5W30 8 litres, Hengst E203H.

2.  Cooling system flush and fill.   This annual coolant replacement (twice factory frequency) is my 'belt and braces' approach to risk mitigation of the valley coolant pipe issue with N62. Genuine BMW coolant used.  

3.  Service checks.  The usual belts, plugs, hoses, suspension, brakes, air filter, steering etc etc for annual service.  Though to be fair, pretty much everything's been replaced in the last 2 years, so we'd have been surprised to find any issues.

"It's driving like they did when these first came out".

I'm loving it.

Edited by Olaf
distance travelled
  • Like 5

14 hours ago, Olaf said:

We provide this information to members, it's updated as new suppliers are added.  In practice It often takes the form of "hey I'm looking for a ______, who's our club supporter, and what's our arrangement?"  "talk to ______".    In this case, our supplier is an agent for AUTOSURE, with 15% off to members.  

Worked example:  Recommended retail is $1,395 on the AUTOSURE GOLD policy for Euro (Cat C)**, duration 36mths, excess $450.

Looking at my invoice, I saved more than 15%, result!  $90 membership fee recouped in one fell swoop, and then some.

Hope that helps.

** Note all Autosure restrictions apply, this summary is not intended to provide detailed policy info.

@NZ BMW most offers vary by region, but some are available nationally to members as is the case with the MBI deal. Please note the Autosure offer is through a particular dealer, can be attached to vehicles you already own but a vehicle condition inspection will be required ; and pre-existing issues won't be covered (which seems fair!).

• Like 1

5 February 2019.  172710kms

1.  Replaced front ARB bushes and associated fasteners (Genuine BMW) for the Dynamic Drive.

2.  Replaced front endlinks (Meyle HD).  Not strictly necessary, as they'd been replaced at 149403km 5 months before I bought it.

3.  Cleaned up spilt over-flowed brake fluid, replaced and power flushed dirty brake fluid.  One wonders what my previous workshop had been doing.  Nuff said.

4.  Spanner checked front end.  Query steering rack, further inspection to be scheduled.

5.  Checked sunroof drains - all clear, removed debris from around the cabin filters.  The joys of parking on-street where the council don't trim trees. 

Next steps:  rear ARB bushes & associated fasteners (Genuine BMW), rear endlinks (TRW).  Aircon checks, and steering rack.  Oh, and fix the stripped captive nut for the engine cover that previous workshop didn't fix.  Tyres due this year, 20,000kms, 22.5 months on them so far.  More RE003s, PS4's, or the new S007?

Nice work Auto38!

Does anyone have the service info for drain/fill/bleed of Dynamic Drive, and Active Steering, please?

Edited by Olaf
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, BozzaFC said:

Nice! Did the ARB bushes fix your clunk? 

Nope. One of the bushes had gone rather soft (probably an old oil leak?); overall It's tightened up the front end a little, made direction changes a little more direct.  It looks like we have rack and steering UV issue.  Further investigation shortly.

Edited by Olaf
grammar
  • Sad 1

20 February 2019.  172937kms

1.  Replaced rear ARB bushes and associated fasteners (Genuine BMW) for the Dynamic Drive.

2.  Replaced rear ARB endlinks (TRW OEM).  They were showing signs of cracking around the boots.

3.  Aircon service, drain, re-fill including dye.  Monitoring.

Car is a little sharper again, as a result of the rear-end preventative maintenance.  Have only driven urban roads and speeds so far, though the rear feels a little more alive, as though it’s more engaged and responding to changes in the road more actively. Odd! Overall: “better”. ?

Auto38 great service.  You should use them too!

• Like 2

Today’s episode:

989B1043-3755-4158-84D9-E230BDD85EFC.thumb.jpeg.de19262e059381ad06f995e844002fde.jpeg

... at least it was only flat on the bottom?  The outcome is that the alloy rim from this corner also has a crack on the inside at the bead.  Time to dig myself a path through my workshop to the wheel stash.  New tyres next month...

Yeah, two years and twenty-something thousand kms.  I'm happy, I live at the top of a twisty hill so the tyres don't get warmed up before they're into a series of corners.  It'll be RE003's again on the basis of great grip, excellent wet weather performance... and any extra budget I had will now have to be spent on wheels.

Edited by Olaf
a bit more on wheels, and correcting grammar
  • Sad 1