Sign in to follow this  
Joel61

E46 flappy sound (DISA?)

Hi, does anyone know what this flappy sound is coming from my 330ci. It seems to be coming from the left. It almost sounds like it could be the DISA, but I am not sure. I also tried unplugging the DISA for a second while the car was running but the sound was still continuing, which makes me think that it might not be the DISA. Does anyone here have any ideas?

Also I have no fault codes showing up when I scan the car.

Edited by Joel61

/serious filter=OFF.

Hi Joel, is it possible you've unwittingly fallen into the plot of Goodfellas and are in fact being followed by Police Helicopters

serious filter=ON

Sorry mate, that's not one I've encountered before.  The video's really helpful!

Edited by Olaf
extra linky

easy enough to remove and see if they are broken , quite common

• Like 1

Ok everyone, I have taken my DISA out and tested it and here is the results. What do you guys think? I haven't seen one that has a good vacuum and and will sometimes open fully if not 90%. So I'm not sure what to make of this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uErmXYIpNJM

Edited by Joel61

Can you start the car with your hand over the hole where the disa was to see if you still get the noise?

2 hours ago, Joel61 said:

Ok everyone, I have taken my DISA out and tested it and here is the results. What do you guys think? I haven't seen one that has a good vacuum and and will sometimes open fully if not 90%. So I'm not sure what to make of this.

mine certainly moved smoothly once I'd replaced the old gear with the i6 Automotive kit.  I'm not certain that this was the cause of your noise, though.  

As Nathan suggests, can you start the car without the DISA and see it she still produces the helicopter sounds?

EDIT - on second thoughts, re-watching your video it looks problematic.  I'd be doing the kit.

Edited by Olaf
second thoughts

Will try that when somone else gets home as I need a 2nd set of hands to do this. Will keep you updated

2 hours ago, Joel61 said:

should return all the way when you release your finger

6 minutes ago, BM WORLD said:

should return all the way when you release your finger

but running it without it connected with my hand over the hole will confirm that this is the problem if it doesn't make the sound, correct?

19 minutes ago, Joel61 said:

but running it without it connected with my hand over the hole will confirm that this is the problem if it doesn't make the sound, correct?

regardless, your DISA needs servicing.

7 hours ago, Joel61 said:

Yes, that will identify if the disa was the source of the noise.

But as others have said, the disa needs replacing anyway.