Sign in to follow this  
griselda

Metric tyres

Hi. I desperately need at least one 240x45x415 metric tyre. Anyone out there got any? Cheers 

if you are looking for second hand metric tyres, then you are either going to be searching for a long time, or have to fork out a lot of money for a new tyre/pair of tyres.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-parts-accessories/wheels-tyres/alloy-wheels/auction-1285681130.htm

how about something like this? standard 15" basketweaves for about $200, has useable tyres to keep you going, and when the time comes to change them, they will be cheap as chips to replace since 15" tyres are plentiful.

• Like 2

I have a set of 15" style 5 wheels, all bead blasted and powder coated, but they are in the South of the South Island. I would still have to transport them and get tyres. As I mentioned I am a pensioner and anything more than the price of a second hand tyre is out of reach at present! Cheers anyway.

where abouts in the south island.Maybe we can find a way to get them up to you.Once in Welly the north island will be easy

I have a set of 15" style 5 wheels, all bead blasted and powder coated, but they are in the South of the South Island. I would still have to transport them and get tyres. As I mentioned I am a pensioner and anything more than the price of a second hand tyre is out of reach at present! Cheers anyway.

Hi there. Unfortunately they are in Queenstown at present. I can make a few enquiries how much it would cost to courier to Wellie. Thanks for your reply.

there's a bloke in Wellington just listed his e34 535i on the Facebook group BMW NZ Parts/Classifieds/Discussions  - it's been crashed and has been sitting outside 'for some time'.  

Has a decent looking set of basketweaves on it, might be just the thing for you if the price is sharp.

your options are one of the following:

* risk driving on second hand rock hard 30 year old metric rubber, posing a safety risk to yourself and everyone else on the road.

* spend over $1000 per tyre on new ones here http://www.vintagetyres.com/item/434/240-45zr415--240-45r415--michelin-trx-gt--car-tyre--road--metric--tl

* Fit 16" wheels.

There is only one logical option here.

Some people clearly don't understand the concept of a budget. Sometimes, however rational an options seems, it might just not be available. Period.

But Nigel their general advice is sound and it is worth pointing out that you might be able to get a set of conventional wheels and tyres for the price of the one tyre you're looking for. 

Thanks for your replies and advice. However it seems illogical to buy a set of 16" wheels and tyres, when only one of my current tyres is damaged. The others are in fine condition. Not hard or 30 years old, and always pass WoFs. I also do not have the luxury of being stinking rich! The search continues, as the company in the website does not have them. Cheers all. Anyone coming North from Queenstown with a bit of space???!

15 minutes ago, griselda said:

Thanks for your replies and advice. However it seems illogical to buy a set of 16" wheels and tyres, when only one of my current tyres is damaged. The others are in fine condition. Not hard or 30 years old, and always pass WoFs. I also do not have the luxury of being stinking rich! The search continues, as the company in the website does not have them. Cheers all. Anyone coming North from Queenstown with a bit of space???!

An idea might be to see how much you can sell your rims for. There might be some odd person out there that would be willing to pay more for your rims than it'd cost you to get proper rims and tyres. 

6 hours ago, griselda said:

stinking rich?  what do you think a set of old rims with passable tyres goes for?!  17's are more popular; you should find 16's pretty inexpensive as they're less sight-after by upgraders.  You could well find such a set with warrantable tyres cost you less than one new metric tyre.  Who's being economical now?  

Nice car. I really enjoyed my E24, despite only owning it for a short time. What can I say? I was young, impetuous and went through a lot of lovely cars (looking after them as I went!) in a fairly short period of time.

I had a quick look on eBay - I've heard some people made significant cost savings by importing tyres. It may have been viable, if looking for one or two (I'd recommend a pair), but no luck. At least, not within budget - they run to (equivalent) $150-200 per tyre.

I suspect your hope is that someone has a metric rim and tyre lurking in a shed, but checking the quality and age of that tyre would be very important.

OK. Do you have a M635CSi? I think they were the only E24 that came with the 240/45-415 (TRX) tyres on (IIRC) a 175TR415 CH TRX rim. The Motorsport (Series 2) cars had 220/55-390 tyres, but (and this may be useful) the non-Motorsport cars had 195/70-14 tyres on a 14x6.5" et22 rim.

I entirely understand your view on this. Buying a set of rims and tyres really doesn't make sense if you're only looking for one tyre, but in this case it appears that a secondhand, decent set of rims (with good tyres) will cost less than just one metric tyre. This would keep you on the road, and give a little time to find that elusive correct-fitment tyre. (I had a similar issue with a Porsche 928: 245/45-16 tyres were completely unavailable for a time, and owners were forced to wait until a manufacturer produced a run of them.) There is an additional issue in that it leaves you with a set of rims to store, of course.

The E34 had 7x15 et20 rims which are similar in appearance to teh stock E24 rim, and would fit easily. They're not expensive, although I don't know of any currently for sale, but would bolt straight on and not significantly change the appearance of your car. They should be easy to resell once you have the correct tyre for your metric rim, too.

My apologies - i appreciate I'm only really reiterating what others have said. I think we'd all like to see your car and if there was an easy answer to finding a good metric tyre, that wold be the choice.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, qube said:

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-parts-accessories/wheels-tyres/alloy-wheels/auction-1305723390.htm

buy this and chuck it on. you will have 3x metric wheels and 1x 15" but the car will roll around no worries

That's nearly 2cm different in rolling diameter (when compared to the metric size). It will do in a pinch but a 205/60-15 is much closer if one can be found.

205/65-15 was a standard size on the E34. That's 0.6cm different in diameter to the metric 240/45 x 415.

Of course, this relates to new tyres manufactured to a tolerance. A worn tyre could have a diameter of 1.2cm less.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-parts-accessories/wheels-tyres/alloy-wheels/auction-1302378438.htm 4 style 46 16" for $200 in Auckland with tyres.  Sure, the tyres aren't awesome... but then if you get lucky with selling off your Metrics like this guy... http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-parts-accessories/wheels-tyres/alloy-wheels/auction-1302614732.htm  you'll be jelly.

my 535is had a metric wheel and spare and i am pretty sure it was a 4xx.so some e34s may have metric rims and tyres still

1 hour ago, 3pedals said:

For anyone actually wanting TRX tyres the source is these guys in the US who bought the  tooling from Michelin. Pricing is a bit more reasonable than the burgling by Vintage tyres out of the UK .

It seems the Yanks want to perpetuate old sh*t and the Poms want to charge an arm and a leg for it.

TRX tyre.JPG

I wonder if they are made with better softer sticky rubber ?