Sign in to follow this  
Olaf

Dieselgate and VAG

that's Volkswagen Audi Group, not Vag, okay?

Have you folk seen John Cadogan's rant on Dieselgate's happy birthday?  It's brilliant.

Edited by Olaf

wait, there's more.  Allegedley VW in Australia have been taken to court by VW owners, for VW Australia's actions pressuring owners to sign away their rights.

If nothing else, while sitting smugly on my Roundel I can watch this and laugh at my mates with VWs.

Haha yeah it's pretty funny, he holds nothing back. Got mates banging on about their Vag diesels, gone quiet but been pretty screwed over really, good thing I stayed Petrol B), probably less emissions from the V10.

Well that's what I'll tell myself  :ph34r:

• Like 1

Hopefully VW NZ aren't adopting similar tactics to the Australian VAG arm (I did use capitals then, yes?)...

have you seen the stories in the USA where they have a court-ordered (eg compulsory) buy-back scheme where the price is agreed, and the owners then strip their cars and drive them into the dealerships without doors, interiors, bumpers.... sitting on a milk crate, and walk out with their cheques and a bunch of near new VW parts to sell on ebay or craigslist.  Well at least that was the intent...

pw7r6yvunuxzlqijnzjh.png

link to the Jalopnik story for the image above

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Olaf said:

Hopefully VW NZ aren't adopting similar tactics to the Australian VAG arm (I did use capitals then, yes?)...

have you seen the stories in the USA where they have a court-ordered (eg compulsory) buy-back scheme where the price is agreed, and the owners then strip their cars and drive them into the dealerships without doors, interiors, bumpers.... sitting on a milk crate, and walk out with their cheques and a bunch of near new VW parts to sell on ebay or craigslist.  Well at least that was the intent...

pw7r6yvunuxzlqijnzjh.png

link to the Jalopnik story for the image above

Ironic for Jalopnik, but that story of theirs had a quick and sweet conclusion...

http://jalopnik.com/vws-3-0-liter-v6-settlement-explicitly-prohibits-people-1791902670

Namely, dealers don't have to take back stripped cars... Very few of the stripped cars actually got bought back, even fewer after that story went live.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Gabe79 said:

Ironic for Jalopnik, but that story of theirs had a quick and sweet conclusion...

http://jalopnik.com/vws-3-0-liter-v6-settlement-explicitly-prohibits-people-1791902670

Namely, dealers don't have to take back stripped cars... Very few of the stripped cars actually got bought back, even fewer after that story went live.

crazy isn't it.  It's not the dealers that are taking them back.  It's VW.  They've been complete a$$hats about the whole thing, and yet are working to save the value of cars that will be crushed.  You'd think they'd be big enough to laugh it off for the handful of folks who wanted to take the pi$$.

interesting to read some of the vitriol levelled at 'the strippers'.  If it were me, I'd be damned pleased to be getting my money back from VW and moving on down the road to a reputable brand.

VAG.  Not even once.  Vag however :)

What really, really gets me about this whole thing, and I still thing there is a lot more to come out on this, is the fact that they kept on blatantly lying. Even once they had been found out, they kept on stalling and lying about solutions, and so on, delaying investigations, etc. And whilst this is a wholly VW issue it has painted the whole of the car manufacturing industry in a bad light and Euro Diesels in particular.

How the US of 'Murica can complain about the level of emissions from a 2-ltr diesel engine when they buy over 1 million Ford F-150 pick ups each year is totally beyond me. Maybe it's because they all think that Climate Change is fictional...

• Like 1

8 hours ago, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

What really, really gets me about this whole thing, and I still thing there is a lot more to come out on this, is the fact that they kept on blatantly lying. Even once they had been found out, they kept on stalling and lying about solutions, and so on, delaying investigations, etc. And whilst this is a wholly VW issue it has painted the whole of the car manufacturing industry in a bad light and Euro Diesels in particular.

How the US of 'Murica can complain about the level of emissions from a 2-ltr diesel engine when they buy over 1 million Ford F-150 pick ups each year is totally beyond me. Maybe it's because they all think that Climate Change is fictional...

and all the big US pick ups are totally free of emmision control/measuremen too???.Dont even mention the "rolling coal" guys

There is a trend here though - with the Takata airbags, dieselgate, the "runaway killer Toyotas"... These are all non-American companies that have been ruthlessly chased by US federal bodies and US lawyers.

Yes, they do sometimes take actions against US car companies, but they don't seem to make as much fuss or spend as much energy in doing so, especially on the federal side, the lawyers will chase anything if they smell a $$.

That aside, of the cases the Takata airbags and the VAG diesel scandal do deserve to be thoroughly investigated and suitable punishments handed out, in my opionion because of the fact that they knew of the issues but just covered them up and kept lying, not exactly Corporate Responsibility is it?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

There is a trend here though - with the Takata airbags, dieselgate, the "runaway killer Toyotas"... These are all non-American companies that have been ruthlessly chased by US federal bodies and US lawyers.

Yes, they do sometimes take actions against US car companies, but they don't seem to make as much fuss or spend as much energy in doing so, especially on the federal side, the lawyers will chase anything if they smell a $$.

That aside, of the cases the Takata airbags and the VAG diesel scandal do deserve to be thoroughly investigated and suitable punishments handed out, in my opionion because of the fact that they knew of the issues but just covered them up and kept lying, not exactly Corporate Responsibility is it?

sadly "corporate responsibility" is a bit of an oxymoron, it's proving to be a noble marketing term at least.

People seem to have forgotten the lawsuits and deaths associated with Chrysler and Jeep products (or rather, attributed to - and successfully prosecuted) in the 80's and 90's, dodgy seatbelts, safety failures.  

Runaway Toyotas?  I'd not heard of it, figured it was a reference to their sales figures! #; )

Edited by Olaf

On 3/30/2017 at 8:11 PM, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

What really, really gets me about this whole thing, and I still thing there is a lot more to come out on this, is the fact that they kept on blatantly lying. Even once they had been found out, they kept on stalling and lying about solutions, and so on, delaying investigations, etc.

Thought you were talking about the Donald for a moment there.

Runaway Toyota's were the handful that had stuck accelerators.  It was barely believable.  I just heard on the radio this morning that some research found that 50% of vehicle incidents in the US involved a cellphone as a distraction.  And just this afternoon I was nearly hit by a girl on her phone.  Twice..  I changed lanes.  But I am sure it was just her stuck accelerator....

Edited by Driftit

Yeah, that was the one. In quite a few of the cases the cars had ECUs that could be checked and the data for pedal position, etc. checked. And guess what they found... yup in pretty much every case (over 95% I think it was) the brakes were not applied, so of the two pedals the driver was stomping on the wrong one and wondering why the car wasn't slowing down. The case pretty much died a quick death at that point.