Sign in to follow this  
ausfez

New AKL member

Moving over from Melbourne in October I was to start my new job at the end of Feb. I spent the whole month looking around for the 'right' car, finally I found one. The km's were a tad on the high side but for the price I couldn't turn it down. After some discussions with the previous owner and an AA check I flew down to Wellington and bought my first BMW, a 130i. I was amazed at how easy the car was to drive over long distances as I drove back that night (Although those run-flats are still giving my nightmares), I thought not having cruise control was going to be agony but alas I was stoked with it. Giz served me well, he made the 20 min commute to my new job with ease. I was having so much fun driving this little pocket rocket around and hearing that snarl of the 3.0L engine from the quad exhaust.

I say 'was', because unfortunately after only 12 days of mate ship he was taken away from me. On the commute home from work, the truck following failed to notice myself and everyone else coming to a stop. I watched as the driver failed to pay attention, getting ever larger in my rear view mirror. I knew he'd never pull it up in time on the greasy road so I put my head back on the head rest and waited to be hit. Poor Giz sacrificed himself to let me walk away with only a concussion, I was devastated, I had my independence stripped away, a friend stolen too soon. I was also thankful, thankful that Giz held up so well in the crash that I was able to walk away.

So it was settled, I needed to buy another Baby Beamer. So I did, today! I put the deposit down on a black 2009 manual 130i. Personally love the feel of the manual more than the Auto Giz was rocking around in. I'm sorry that I don't have any photo's yet of it and still thinking of a name, but when I take ownership later next week I'll be sure to update this post. I look forward to getting to know the community here and learning a bit more about E87's and BMW's in general.

tl;dr - Flew to Wellington to buy a 130i. Had it 12 days, hit by a truck. So I bought another one.

Giz_01.jpgGiz_02.jpgGiz_03.jpgGiz_04.jpg

• Like 3

Welcome, Ben.  Wow, Giz was a beauty, those crumple zones certainly did the job.  Gotta be happy the fireies didnt need to cut you out.  Looking forward to seeing pics of your new 130i.

Do take a look at the 'meetings' room/threads, you can click 'follow' so you never miss a local meet.  The Auckland crowd get together pretty frequently.

Welcome. These 130's are awesome, especially in manual, enjoy!

Thanks Olaf and Rubix, I'll be sure to keep an eye on the meetings section and get down when I can.

Qube, funny you linked that shoot, I had a charcoal 08 STI SpecR back in Melbourne. Both cars are easily capable of delivering continuous smiles! 

Welcome - man that must have been frustrating! And the 4 pipes must have been an aftermarket exhaust right? Glad you are OK after getting punted by a truck!!

Yeah it was a little, but glad I got to walk away. The quad exhaust was an aftermarket job, however was on the car when I bought it. Never got around to checking what brand it was either.