Sign in to follow this  
Skilfil

E36 Suspension Setups - Coupe

Hi guys,

Have landed myself a cheap manual 328 E36 coupe for track days and drifting, not too familiar with BMW's, generally played around with MX5's but wanted a bigger chassis with a bigger motor that wasn't a Skyline.. Just wondering what tried and true suspension setups people here were running? Would like to avoid coilovers if possible as this isn't a big $$ build and cert would push costs out, its just something to have fun in.

I was looking into possibly M3 shocks/springs? Or is the work involved for the gain hardly worth it? Already looking into an LSD (Sadly it has a horribly open diff) and refreshing the brakes.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Bilstein B12 kit (Bilstein B8 shocks/struts and Eibach springs), or a Koni/H&R set-up.

• Like 1

Thanks, any suggestions on where to shop for these parts? I know of many MX5 sites but struggling to find BMW ones, where do most people tend to buy their bits from?

I've had some recent problems locating Konis at good prices. They do exist and would be my preferred solution.

Bilstein B12s are a readily available kit ex-Germany. The part number is E90-20-004-04-22.

Check prices here in NZ first. 

Try Demon Tweeks in the UK. Set of Koni adjustables is about NZ$800 plus shipping.

I know you said you didn't want coilovers, but Scarles are selling D2 coilovers for $1000 shipped which is quite good. I'm getting a set for the E30

I actually got a lot of my stuff through Amazon and got it here via KiwiShipping, I put a price watch on with camelcamelcamel.com and saved literally $100's.

Thanks guys, did manage to stumble across DemonTweeks yesterday afternoon, I hear the newer gen D2's are better but I'm still fairly wary of them, I'd almost want to shell out the extra $$ for the XYZ stuff which I hear is pretty good.

Amazon is an interesting one, have never thought to check them out, will have a look. Also now have PelicanParts added to my regular browsing for maintenance stuff.

3 hours ago, Skilfil said:

Amazon is an interesting one, have never thought to check them out, will have a look.

My landed price for a set of Eibach springs and roll bars was less than $500 NZ (although I ended up paying nothing but GST in the end). I had to be patient but it wasn't urgent for me so worked out well. I pulled the trigger when camelcamelcamel told me it was 70% off which happened twice in 3 months (I missed out the first time). Service from Amazon was outstanding.

On 3/27/2017 at 2:16 PM, Skilfil said:

Hi guys,

Have landed myself a cheap manual 328 E36 coupe for track days and drifting, not too familiar with BMW's, generally played around with MX5's but wanted a bigger chassis with a bigger motor that wasn't a Skyline.. Just wondering what tried and true suspension setups people here were running? Would like to avoid coilovers if possible as this isn't a big $$ build and cert would push costs out, its just something to have fun in.

I was looking into possibly M3 shocks/springs? Or is the work involved for the gain hardly worth it? Already looking into an LSD (Sadly it has a horribly open diff) and refreshing the brakes.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Which 328i did you pick up? Not the black 328is that was for sale last few weeks? 

I am running XYZ Supersports and was running the Bilstein B12's previously, the XYZ's are awesome! Well worth the money!

On 1/04/2017 at 5:29 PM, atlantiskiwi said:

Which 328i did you pick up? Not the black 328is that was for sale last few weeks? 

No, nabbed a metallic blue 328is that was up on TradeMe for less than 24 hours, its rough but a good candidate for motorsport. Good to see about the XYZ's, will have to look at them in the future for sure.

• Like 1