Sign in to follow this  
Jet

E39 subframe bush tool needed

Hi all,

I only just found out about the group after talking to a friend of mine who is also a member.

I am currently restoring a 1973 2002 baur but have got a problem with my day to day Runabout e39 station wagon that I need to get fixed.

I need a subframe bushing tool, so if you have one that you want to hire out or want to sell, please let me know.

cheers - Jet

I have used two different methods without having to buy a bushing tool.

One is to drill into the rubber with a smallish drill bit multiple times until the centre of the bushing can be removed, and then use a jigsaw to cut into the side of the bushing. A bit of mucking around but it works. Some use fire instead of drilling but I didn't have much luck with that.

The other method I have used is a makeshift bushing tool consisting of a big nut and bolt and big washers.

I've done all the bushings on an e36 and an e46, and both times the drilling method was the easiest for the subframe.

Thanks for responding Zero,

I have never done it before and the tool looked straight forward but if I can't get one, then I will try your suggestion.

Can I ask how you fitted the replacement bushes?

Thanks

If its standard bushes then the big bolt, washers and nut method works along with some soapy water.

If its poly bushes then you can just press them in with your fingers.

What is the problem you are experiencing?

It is very strong vibration. I have checked the wheels, changed the rubber seal between the gearbox and the driveshaft and even had the driveshaft balanced ( no issue) but the problem is still there. 

I took it to BMWorkshop and they said that the subframe bushes will causing it and need to be replaced. 

You will need to replace all four.

While you are in there check the diff bushes and the trailing arms too.

Maybe someone who is familiar with the e39 could chime in with the usual wear items and things to look for on the e39 rear axle.

I've only worked on e36 and e46 suspension.

• Like 1