Sign in to follow this  
Agent86

Convertible water drain leakage and maintenance

I have a 645ci. It seems the water drains in the convertible roof storage area became blocked and rain water overflowed into the boot, toasting the logic7 amp in the left boot well. Unrepairable. Replacement from Germany. $3k thanks...

Has anyone else had anything like this happen? Has anyone had their water drains cleared as part of their routine maintenance by their service agent?

I'm trying to find out if I was just unlucky or whether my agent (who has been servicing the car for 7 years) has any culpability here and should have done anything as part of their routine maintenance. Especially given these drains aren't normally accessible by the vehicle owner.

Thanks to anyone who takes the effort to reply!

i just clean in there when the roof is half open etc

wipe dirt etc , air hose blow the drain tubes etc . its a common issue on pretty much all convertibles

have seen flooded e36 e46 models etc , except less electrics to damage in those models.

similar issues with e60 drains noted.  remediation is centred around cleaning the drains out as Brent mentioned (long length of weed-whacker wire, where compressed air unavailable), and drilling out the bottom bung (inside the arch, above the inside of the wheel well liner) so that it's less likely to clog-up, in future.

We meet up from time to time in Wellington, look (and maybe subscribe) to the Meetings room for Wellymeets.  Welcome to the forum, and I trust you get a suitable solution.

When you say your service agent for the last 7 years do you mean you are taking it to a BMW dealer, or to an independant?