Sign in to follow this  
Kobra

E30 BC Gold coilover certification

Hi Guys,

After reading many reviews, I acquired a set of BC gold (BR type) coilovers for my E30.

I know the front struts need to cut off  around 50mm above the spindle, then the new coilovers sleeve over the remaining 50mm, and are then welded to the spindle.

I did some reading up on the LVV Cert rules for this modification (http://www.lvvta.org.nz/documents/standards/LVVTA_STD_Suspension_Systems.pdf, section 2.2(28))
It appears a change was made in August 2016 which states:

A non-adjustable strut modified by removing most of the strut tube down to the stub axle and sliding over a replacement threaded strut tube for the attachment of an adjustable spring platform, must: (a) not incorporate any modification of, or welding to, any cast or forged component, in particular the stub axle assembly; and

Obviously this has me quite worried as I believe welding to the cast spindle is required. I thought welding to cast components can be done safely as long as the cast component is heated up to prevent cracking.

Does anyone have an extra info or experience with this certification process?

Edited by Kobra
a word

I've got to ask - why not buy something designed for the E30 in the first place? If you got these for $5 and can do the work yourself then there's an economic argument, but that's about it.

I don't like Scarles and don't rate them, but as has been said on another thread, they'll do coilovers - new - for about $1k.

17 minutes ago, gjm said:

I've got to ask - why not buy something designed for the E30 in the first place? If you got these for $5 and can do the work yourself then there's an economic argument, but that's about it.

I don't like Scarles and don't rate them, but as has been said on another thread, they'll do coilovers - new - for about $1k.

These BC Gold coilovers are designed specifically for the E30, and bought them brand new from NZ Performance for $1.5k.

That is the reason you cut the tube above the hub - The lower strut / hub is cast, the strut tube is steel so can be welded. Almost all E30 coilovers are done like this.

• Like 1

Yeah weld to the strut tube. Doesn't hurt to find a certifier you want to use and talk to him about what your doing too

27988060413_4aa04060dd_z.jpg

Edited by musccoo
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, Kobra said:

These BC Gold coilovers are designed specifically for the E30, and bought them brand new from NZ Performance for $1.5k.

1 minute ago, e30ftw said:

That is the reason you cut the tube above the hub - The lower strut / hub is cast, the strut tube is steel so can be welded. Almost all E30 coilovers are done like this.

My apologies - my lack of E30-specific coilover, or BC, knowledge. I've used coilovers before on other cars, but it's been a case of unbolt various bits, and bolt up again. I didn't realise that with an E30 it's necessary to cut the original struts and weld to the new parts: I doubt it's something that's unique to the E30, but I've not heard of it before. (DIY coilovers is another matter!)

While in the UK I worked on a tarmac rally E30 which had AST suspension. I don't recall any welding having been done to fit the front kit, but wasn't looking for it. That car had more than it's share of beautifully machined custom parts, too.

From the sound of things you know what you're doing. I found this link which may be useful?

Great! This is the exact info I was looking for.

I've been trying to track down a certifier in Christchurch, but the 2 I've called appear to be away on leave at the moment.

Thanks guys