Sign in to follow this  
Jackwoodhouse

Euro plates

Hi new to this page, just wondering if anyone knows where to buy euro frames for normal number plates? Saw an e36 with them today and thought they looked quiet good 

26 minutes ago, Jackwoodhouse said:

Hi new to this page, just wondering if anyone knows where to buy euro frames for normal number plates? Saw an e36 with them today and thought they looked quiet good 

http://www.autographics.co.nz/product/NZ-W80-Cust

out of stock right now.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, KwS said:

Wish @_ethrty-Andy_ was still doing German Plates group buys.

Which plates are those?

Illegal ones lol

Illegal but good.

Didnt have an issue with them on my M3 down here, and theres heaps on cars here now.

2 hours ago, Lucan said:

Illegal ones lol

You mean the euro-style German plates I see all over Auckland? I was always curious about those... Where can one get those? 

https://www.germanplates.com/

Run them at your own risk. Cops that know (and trust me, they know) will confiscate your plates and fine you $200 if they see you driving around with these plates.

The problem with these plates is that it doesnt use the same font style as the NZ ones and also it doesnt have the reflective stamping you can see on NZ plates in certain angles.

Not really worth the risk but in saying that, a few people still do it and manage to get away with it, some longer than others.

Its like $80 vs $300, if you dont get caught. Govt euro plates are crack money.

Mine are from germanplates.com have the requisite reflective markings - they're legit plates in Europe and meet or exceed any standard we have here.

But they are not legit here because of a built in and protected monopoly.

They're great value, group buy makes no difference, just understand the risk.

I've been using mine since 2004 without a problem. My brother drove my car for a month and got stopped twice. I suspect it's more about the way you drive, the way you wear your cap and how your car looks and sounds than what plates you have on.

1 hour ago, M3AN said:

Mine are from germanplates.com have the requisite reflective markings - they're legit plates in Europe and meet or exceed any standard we have here.

No, the germanplates are missing the little reflective fern the NZ plates have

04+Holograms.jpg

And the ones I use have Euro DIN reflectors in exactly the same pattern. I'm not suggesting they're the same, rather that they have the same reflective qualities,

They'd fail a "genuine" test well before you got to the reflective image, you simply can't pass the Euro ones off as genuine NZ plates.

The German ones are however functionally identical and that was the point I was attempting to make.

Edited by M3AN
  • Like 1

love my German plates! look great and didn't cost me the ludicrous price that NZ plates demands. 

i'm here in Chch since I've had the plates i would have been pulled over 4-5 times throughout the south island and has never been mentioned or noticed by the police.  

e30.JPG

Bought my plates from Germanplates.com 9 years ago. Never got a problem at warrants or when stopped by police for too much use of the loud pedal. They even have the D symbol and Euro stars on them. I've taken those plates all over the country. As far as I'm aware (it's been 9 years since I read the law) there is no specific requirement on origin of the plate. Just that the background is white and reflective for cars registered after a certain year. The only requirement on the font is it's size (height and width).

Interesting. I wonder if they changed the law in the last 9 years. Will go read the act again. I note that the site doesn't say illegal, just unacceptable... Will pay later when I've read it again

1 hour ago, YevJenko said:

Interesting. I wonder if they changed the law in the last 9 years. Will go read the act again. I note that the site doesn't say illegal, just unacceptable... Will pay later when I've read it again

yes but you are only reading half of the statement, the first half clearly states "Only plates issued by the Transport Agency and its agents are legal"

• Like 1

3 hours ago, nick496 said:

"Only plates issued by the Transport Agency and its agents are legal. Plates purchased anywhere else are unacceptable."

That'll be the Australia-based single provider?

1 hour ago, Mr Vapour said:

yes but you are only reading half of the statement, the first half clearly states "Only plates issued by the Transport Agency and its agents are legal"

Exactly. And when you scroll right to the bottom... 

Only plates issued by the Transport Agency are legal, which means you can’t make your own plate or purchase one online. Displaying a non-approved plate or something that could be mistaken for a plate could mean a maximum fine of $5000."

1 hour ago, gjm said:

That'll be the Australia-based single provider?

Yep, that's the one. 

In all they have you by the short and curls  can /do charge  you the earth for them. When looking for a plate for the project a standard plate around $400 odd euro style $600. Robber with out being on a highway opps wrong way round I think?

The intent in the law is that you do not draw up a plate on a4 paper with someone else's number.

I had a quick read of the Land Transport Act 1998 amended and can only find these items that really relate to what we are discussing

section 265 Surrender and seizure of registration plates and facsimile plates of the lta 1998 amended states that 
(1) The Registrar may order the surrender of—
    (c) facsimile plates.
(3) An enforcement officer may seize and destroy any facsimile plates.
(4) For the purposes of subsections (1)(c) and (3), facsimile plate means any thing that is not a registration plate but is made to appear as if it is a registration plate. 

I'll continue looking in the Transport (Vehicle and Driver Registration and Licensing) Act 1986 when i get time

Like i said I've been running my German plates with the D and euro stars symbol for about 9 or so years and have had 0 problems so far. That includes VTNZ warrants, and a few enforced stops to contribute to the local road fund with the blue-uniformed revenue-collectors on both islands. Nobody seemed to care.

On 20/04/2017 at 11:53 AM, brockie123 said:

love my German plates! look great and didn't cost me the ludicrous price that NZ plates demands. 

i'm here in Chch since I've had the plates i would have been pulled over 4-5 times throughout the south island and has never been mentioned or noticed by the police.  

e30.JPG

i'm on the german plates site now but can't see how to get the nz flag and fern. how'd you manage that?

I wouldn't bother unless you like wasting money. They are illegal in NZ as stated above