Jump to content
Jackwoodhouse

Euro plates

Recommended Posts

On 3/22/2018 at 1:33 PM, optimuspotts said:

 

i'm on the german plates site now but can't see how to get the nz flag and fern. how'd you manage that?

They were the custom stickers @_ethrty-Andy_ had made for his group buys, werent they? My M3 plates i got from him have them, but the plates i got direct from GP for my Rover dont, its flag and stars.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 22/03/2018 at 4:01 PM, YevJenko said:

Like i said, never had a problem in over 9 years on 3 different cars... and that's with the Euro D plate.

Here's a link to an NZ plate https://www.customeuropeanplates.com/new-zealand-european-license-plate-p-141.html? 

You don't seem to get it. Regardless of how long you have had them, where you have been, how many times you have been stopped, or how many WOF'S you have had with them on the car, & all without incident. As mentioned above many times - they ARE illegal in NZ full stop!

The font is different, along with the background reflector graphics. Also mentioned above - there have been several people that have had them confiscated after they have been identified by Police that are aware of them. It is simply a lucky dip!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

^this. 

(Years ago) I have had police threaten me very harsh penalties for using these plates. Not to mention insurance companies that will try any excuse to avoid cover. 

Yes they are a 'rip off' - but if you bite the bullet, you have one for life and can move it to new cars. IMO they are such a massive aesthetic upgrade, people spend far more on visual mods that don't enhance the look as much as a europlate.

It's $375 for a europlate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

only $199 if you already have a personalized combination and want to change to europlate style :)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, hotwire said:

You don't seem to get it. Regardless of how long you have had them, where you have been, how many times you have been stopped, or how many WOF'S you have had with them on the car, & all without incident. As mentioned above many times - they ARE illegal in NZ full stop!

The font is different, along with the background reflector graphics. Also mentioned above - there have been several people that have had them confiscated after they have been identified by Police that are aware of them. It is simply a lucky dip!

I do get it. But it is not a problem. As originally stated the intent in the law is to prevent you using a 'document to defraud' - in this case passing your vehicle off as someone else's, or something else, or preventing legal identification of the vehicle (e.g. at a speed or red light camera or a plate recognition equipped police vehicle).

As mentioned 6 months ago, I have been stopped for speeding, been stopped at drink drive checks points (where they always check Rego and warrant) and had warrants done at vtnz all with Euro plates on with Euro font and a Euro (D) as the logo. I have had zero problems. If you were that worried, carry the originals in the car with you -there are always times when you forgot to put the originals back on after a 'show evening'.

Note. Background reflector graphics are NOT mandated by law, neither is the font.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

^ then why are people fined $200 on the spot and "novelty" plates confiscated by police?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, YevJenko said:

I do get it. But it is not a problem. As originally stated the intent in the law is to prevent you using a 'document to defraud' - in this case passing your vehicle off as someone else's, or something else, or preventing legal identification of the vehicle (e.g. at a speed or red light camera or a plate recognition equipped police vehicle).

As mentioned 6 months ago, I have been stopped for speeding, been stopped at drink drive checks points (where they always check Rego and warrant) and had warrants done at vtnz all with Euro plates on with Euro font and a Euro (D) as the logo. I have had zero problems. If you were that worried, carry the originals in the car with you -there are always times when you forgot to put the originals back on after a 'show evening'.

Note. Background reflector graphics are NOT mandated by law, neither is the font.

I suggest you don't "get it" Whether you deem it an issue or not is irelevent. They are illegal!  AND people are having them confiscated.

The fact you haven't is beside the point - obviously those you have come across are not aware of the issue. - As i said - it is a lucky dip.

21 minutes ago, qube said:

^ then why are people fined $200 on the spot and "novelty" plates confiscated by police?

Exactly!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If I get away with shoplifting doesnt mean its okay. You can try to cut the law or rule however you want but bottom line is it is not the standard government issue plates and any website selling them clearly says something along the lines of "novelty plates" or "use at own risk" etc.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, qube said:

If I get away with shoplifting doesnt mean its okay. You can try to cut the law or rule however you want but bottom line is it is not the standard government issue plates and any website selling them clearly says something along the lines of "novelty plates" or "use at own risk" etc.

Jeez bud. Relax. This is not the same as shoplifting (where you are taking property that doesn't belong to you without exchanging consideration) vs. using an identifying plate made to ISO standards. If you don't want to use them that's fine. I, and others, do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, hotwire said:

I suggest you don't "get it" Whether you deem it an issue or not is irelevent. They are illegal!  AND people are having them confiscated.

The fact you haven't is beside the point - obviously those you have come across are not aware of the issue. - As i said - it is a lucky dip.

Exactly!

It's always a good way to win an argument to state what other people do and do not understand. 

They may or may not be illegal. There is a debate as to whether they count as facsimile plates according to the law, but one thing they are not is an issue.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, YevJenko said:

They may or may not be illegal. There is a debate as to whether they count as facsimile plates according to the law, but one thing they are not is an issue.

They (German number plates) most certainly are illegal on the road in NZ.  

The rule has been quoted earlier in this thread.  

The hawk-eyed police officer who pulled me over with mine, explained it very clearly.   We had a cordial discussion on the roadside where I was alerted to the error of my ways with my German plates.  Not one to push my luck, I subsequently sourced compliant, legal, NZ-issue number plates.  Non-compliance resolved.

They're an issue when you get pulled for displaying them, they're an issue when they get you a ticket and fine.  

There is inconsistency in how they are policed on the road, and at the WoF station.  If you enjoy playing the odds, knock yourself out!  Don't suggest there's any doubt about their illegality, though.  That'd be disingenuous.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

time for another thread lock. the german plate debate is just pointless now. It has been talked about way more than it needs to be. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

^^^^ Yup agree. And with Olaf above. I'll let this disingenuous person knock himself out.

I've said all i need to on this one.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, YevJenko said:

It's always a good way to win an argument to state what other people do and do not understand. 

They may or may not be illegal. 

They ARE illegal.

End of.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

late to the party here sorry. thanks for the tag Kelvin.

I do have stickers that I had made up (and continue to get made up), they are free of charge to anyone that I sold plates to as the first few batches were of dubious sticker quality.

I no longer sell the stickers, or the complete plates since the warning I recieved.

I have thought of revising since the company that sent me it is no longer in business, however price won't be the $60 or so it once was.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×