Sign in to follow this  
rf_key

Wanted: Techno geek

I have been a regular summer-time visitor to New Zealand for a number of years, and I own a 318i here with several useful electric/electronic extras: most of all a stronger electric system, a carphone with external antenna (like in the good old days when technology did matter), a laptop with internet access over the phone modem, and a videorecorder with 2 cameras (front/rear) - see description, photos and videos at

http://pro-mobile-internet.net/

This year, I was for the first time confronted with evidence that I, too, am mortal (haha). I'm not saying that I will pass away in a week, but I certainly won't last for decades to come. While proper disposal of my assets as such should be warranted, I wonder what happens to all this wonderful technology once I'm gone (not that it would matter then to me, still). It would be too bad if someone bought the car who cannot appreciate it, then has the extras torn out and thrown away. 

If there are people here who are interested, please get in touch with me, so we can discuss a civilised approach. 

NB: This is not a late april fools joke. 

That's old school info. Brings me back to ham days...

I'll happily carry the banner of techno-geekdom.

I don't quite get what you mean here though...

Why is an external antenna old school and ham? It's the technically correct answer to a problem once acknowledged by the major makers. This material was easily available, and from these makers (like Nokia, Ericsson, ...) before the americans came over us with their 'smart' phone hype, that washed the european quality away, and replacing it with junk. If I don't win friends with this true statement, I will live with it.  .)

What I meant was what I said: I would like to see that there is a person who would appreciate a car like this, instead of not understanding what he gets, then have all the precious extras removed as 'redundant'.

When and how this can be done would have to be discussed, maybe via email, once a candidate (or more than one?) has been identified.

I know what you mean.  I picked up four nokia car kits in Oz, with the intent of installing them in my cruiser here.  Suddenly all the info faded.  I never thought of inductive coupling to modern smart phone!  And yes, I've wondered why the smarkphones lack an antenna jack.

Michael, you should take a look at the Sierra Wireless MG90.  You'd be amazed at what it can do.

Very impressed you've cooked up GPS, Dash Cam front & rear with large screen.  And having same car and setup for both your homes, genius.

Thanks a lot! It is refreshing to see that there still seem to be other 'old school' people around, because under the global american onslaught aiming at dumbing down people outside the 'elites' and their henchmen, we educated people are becoming an extinct species soon. 

Obviously, the parts mentioned would not have to remain inside this car. In other words, once the time has come, they would become available to someone knowledgeable to dispose of.  

Just talk to me, I am willing to negotiate. But be a little patient, unless I die one of these days, it may take a little longer still...

Thank you for the antenna info, still with regard to that, I have no doubt that the european logic was/is 'right', while the american logic is 'wrong'.

I have proved the at least desirability, but actually necessity of an external antenna, with 3 witness statements of reliable institutions, see the website mentioned. Please take the time to read it. You can also see the correctness of this attitude by the fact that americans equip their police etc (and military of course) with this professional equipment: laptop plus mobile phone or other 2-way radio equipment, plus external antenna. Proof photo can also be found on the website.

So the reason is quite probably (as also mentioned on the website): Americans want, according to their age-iold logic, to be certain the government is stronger than the citizen, and they want to make sure that it is like that also in the rest of the world. That's why we don't get galvanic car kits and external antennas any more, why radio workshops have disappeared, why we are being flooded with silly, mind-dumbing 'smartphones' to be glued to the windshield, etc.

It is a good idea not to just follow the crowd, but to develop your own thoughts, based on what you know about physics etc. We are supposed to be free countries, and we ought to make sure that there will never be a question about that, otherwise we might lose it faster than we thought.

Edited by rf_key