Sign in to follow this  
gjm

Reasons BMWs (or their drivers) annoy other road users

I followed a black 745Li this morning. Dark tinted windows, big plastidipped wheels (maybe 19s, with peeling), scabby-looking tyres with well-scrubbed sidewalls, slammed, bouncy suspension, loud exhaust, broken near side mirror, and a driver who threw rubbish out of the window on to the road - looked like a Bundaberg bottle cap. Y'know - the pull ring type.

Change lanes without indicating, accelerate hard (loud exhaust) before swapping lanes at traffic lights (no indicator), then sit with arm dangling out the window holding a cigarette.

At least there wasn't evidence of a multi-MW stereo playing music for the whole neighbourhood to hear!

• Like 2

No different to many other drivers on the road. Especially more often in the west and south Auckland.

Deep breath and look away. :)

people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones!  Mercedes drivers all ticked the "remove indicators" option!  

:D

/stereotyping mode off

Just proof that money doesn't buy class :)

I really don't buy this "BMW drivers don't indicate" crap. I see all kinds of cars where the fools driving them switch lanes in heavy traffic without indication - every day when driving to and from work. 

It's not car, it's the person. 

Edited by Matth5
  • Like 1

All the stereotpying gets very boring very quickly, there are dickheads and douche bags driving any make of mass produced car. With BMW / Merc / Audi I think a lot of it does come down to a bit of envy and tall-poppy syndrome.

BMW's etc being far easier to ID for the average person compared with the average jappa makes it easy to point fingers.

Driver wise Auckland has the worst drivers i've encountered for many obvious reasons.

10 minutes ago, Eagle said:

BMW's etc being far easier to ID for the average person compared with the average jappa makes it easy to point fingers.

Driver wise Auckland has the worst drivers i've encountered for many obvious reasons.

Have you driven in places like Italy (specially Rome,) or India (anywhere) ?

Auckland drivers are fine on balance. :)

I'd be willing to bet more people can identify Toyotas than BMWs. BMW drivers suffer more because of the perception we are all rich assholes swaggering about the road in our fancy cars.

Edited by Gabe79

It could be that I identified a BMW driver in this instance because I am familiar with BMWs. That said, I've owned and drive a lot of cars over the years and I'd never really made the same distinction.

Of course, this one was particularly evident as he was in front of me, behind me, alongside me, cutting me up, throwing rubbish from his car while in front of me...

And I wasn't having a great day so I just fancied a good moan. So there. :P 

1 hour ago, Gabe79 said:

Have you driven in places like Italy (specially Rome,) or India (anywhere) ?

Auckland drivers are fine on balance. :)

I'd be willing to bet more people can identify Toyotas than BMWs. BMW drivers suffer more because of the perception we are all rich assholes swaggering about the road in our fancy cars.

Was meaning in NZ, no doubt we aren't the worst drivers around.

Everyone knows what a BMW grill looks like, take badges off a Toyota and i bet the average person wouldn't be to ID many of them.

• Like 1

A lot of people would having trouble naming the brand of my Soarer if you removed the Toyota badge off the back :P 

The 30-something driver of teh white X5 that pirouetted of the road in front of me last night was unlucky. Or maybe the other drivers motoring along like it was a bright and sunny afternoon were lucky?

Torrential rain. Spray. Poor visibility. Standing water. Dark. Line of cars travelling at 80-90km/h but that wasn't fast enough. Came tearing past me on the inside, pulled into the outside lane. My spidey senses were tingling so I backed waaay off and then - the left hand indicator of the X5 comes on, so he's pulling back to the inside lane? Then a twitch from the back of the X5. Hmm. Then a wriggle. And then I could see the side of the X5. He'd hit a patch of standing water, perhaps while making his lane change, possibly while accelerating.

A big ol' Merc handles water quite well so I was able to slow while watching the graceful rotation of the X5 as it gently spun off the side of the road and down, well out of harms way.

As I started the thread about BMW drivers it seemed appropriate to post this, but in fairness that driver was far from alone - so many people in a huge hurry with no regard for the road and weather conditions. It was probably a combination of big fat tyres, standing water, and an ill-advised manœuvre that was his undoing.

No one was hurt, but one of the attending police officers was preparing a lengthy lecture on 'driving to the conditions' when I left.

• Like 3

Thought their acquisition of a large German SUV added +25 experience points to their driving skills.

bzzzt.  Next player please!

no doubt some brown trousers and all!

I had to drive home in that weather in my '72 Beetle!

It was fun when it really rained... it has 2 speed wipers... S  L  O  W and OFF.

Being a '72 though - it has hazard lights :lol:

I think a lot of people have no idea of the physics involved in keeping a vehicle on the road! Driving an OLD car points them out to you... often!

18 minutes ago, Allanw said:

I think a lot of people have no idea of the physics involved in keeping a vehicle on the road! Driving an OLD car points them out to you... often!

I'll bet most people don't even notice when they're triggering their TC and stability control...

• Like 1