Sign in to follow this  
Mr Hyde

Intercooler for 135i and 335i

41 minutes ago, Matth5 said:

As I neared home I gave it some gas to test everything was tight, and I could hear the now all to familiar whistling sound of a boost leak.

Looking under the car, the silicone host on the turbo side has partially slipped off and the T clamp is just resting on the intercooler.
Thought it was tight as can be *facepalm*

Good thing I kept the undertrays off. 

Yup been there and I feel your pain.

Took it all apart and installed it again. Slightly better fitment, now it lines up with both boltholes so it's bolted in properly.

Still at an angle though, but that's thanks to the N55 lower chargepipe and the poorly matched Repco silicone coupler. Can't do much about that. On the bright side it does give it better airflow, as there is a bit of plastic on the bumper blocking the bottom bit. Ideally that should be trimmed

Took it out for a quick blast. I still hear a bit of a  whistling sound under boost, yet looking that the logs my car is holding boost just fine as if there is no leak. I haven't put the intake snorkel back on, maybe I'm just hearing intake noise?
Drives smoothly and fast now, certainly doesn't feel like a boost leak.

It's a cold night sure, but intake temps barely move under full throttle! The log:

http://www.datazap.me/u/matth5/log-1494577813?log=0&data=3-4-5-6-11&zoom=1193-1304
Time to flash a stage 1 + map! :)

Edited by Matth5

Great progress. That app looks real handy. Wish I could use something similar.

Well done on the contortion required to fit the intercooler as well. 

Put the intake scoop back on and made sure intake hoses were tight.

That whistling noise is still there! It must be a tiny boost leak. I'll check under the car again tomorrow.

Tried the stage 1+ 98 tune. Honestly didn't seem at all faster than the stage 1 95 map I was running before. Boost numbers look about the same too?

http://www.datazap.me/u/matth5/log-1494584450?log=0&data=3-4-5-11-21&zoom=3124-3203

Fixed, tightened the absolute s**t out of the pipe connecting to the turbo by squeezing my hand down there with a little spanner.

Just in time for my track session at Pukekohe, so I got to run the stage 1+ 98 RON tune at the track! Kept up with an Evo and had a V8 Mustang disappear into the distance behind me. The Mustang was an automatic convertible though, coupe might have been a different story. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Matth5 said:

Fixed, tightened the absolute s**t out of the pipe connecting to the turbo by squeezing my hand down there with a little spanner.

Same Same, my hands were too big so I had to call a friend :) 

Did some back road logging after my track event. This intercooler definitely performs. Intake temps barely move with repeated hard pulls.

http://www.datazap.me/u/matth5/log-1494652995?log=0&data=3-4-5-6-11-19-20-21-22-23-24&zoom=1022-1094
http://www.datazap.me/u/matth5/log-1494652995?log=0&data=3-4-5-6-11-19-20-21-22-23-24&zoom=741-797

Zoom out to see more of the run. Intake temp never passed 100f/38c. Running stage 1+ 98RON tune.

I think I'll drop back down to the 95RON map as I don't like the look of those timing corrections. The advise I keep getting from MHD is to gap down my spark plugs, they are new(ish) and at the stock gap. They obviously think we all run aftermarket plugs with reduced gaps and their OTS maps seem to be designed for that...

10 minutes ago, Matth5 said:

Did some back road logging after my track event. This intercooler definitely performs. Intake temps barely move with repeated hard pulls.

you weren't pursued by police recently, were you?  ahh, thankfully wrong town.

How rude, what kind of country doesn't let a man jerk off in his own car... lol.

Yes those timing corrections would bother me.