Sign in to follow this  
alijanjan

E46, N42B20 TDC Lock location

Hi all

I'm in the middle of replacing valve stem seals on my e46 N42B20 engine. So far things have gone ok, I have replaced 12 out of 16 seals

Soon I will have to put it back together and set the timing. I am looking for the location of flywheel lock pin. I've got a tool set for timing which includes the cam shafts locking brackets and flywheel locking pin but having hard time finding the location, any help will be appreciated

While I am at it, i am thinking about replacing the chain, tensioner etc, when i got to the chain, the top plastic cover/guide for the chain was broken into 3-4 pieces which make me wonder if the chain  had jumped a tooth. lately the engine has been very hesitant when accelerating. Any tips will be highly appreciated, what are the symptoms of incorrect timing?

Thanks in advance

Thanks Glenn, You are a legend

My next question would have been the torque settings which is already in the diagram

The item 1 in the diagram, I've read that it is under the starter motor. can i get to it from under the car or do i have to remove the inlet manifold to get to it?

thanks

Google this Ali. It will give you all the info... but won't let me post the link

"BMW E46 N42B20 crankshaft locking tool location"

First thread below images

Edited by *Glenn*

24 minutes ago, alijanjan said:

Thanks Glenn, You are a legend

My next question would have been the torque settings which is already in the diagram

The item 1 in the diagram, I've read that it is under the starter motor. can i get to it from under the car or do i have to remove the inlet manifold to get to it?

thanks

I got to it from under the car.

If you are going to this amount of hassle, replace the chain and chain guides too.

However, these engines are notorious for being crap. Here is my marathon thread on doing the valve stem seals, chain and guides;

http://bimmersport.co.nz/topic/54944-so-this-happened-today/?page=6

Hi Nathan

I have had a scan through your thread, Wow and I can feel your pain, what a bummer

I will attempt on replacing the chain, tensioner and guide. I will be looking for the little tool to undo the central bolt on the crankshaft, or is it ok to undo it only by locking the flywheel? While I have her opened up, any suggestions on anything else to do. I had replaced the CCV few months ago but was supplied the wrong hose where it connects to dipstick, now that I have the correct one, I will replace it at the same time

She has been consuming some oil, it has gotten worse and lately was drinking around a liter of oil every 500k, She had also started making some noise only on slight load

Ali

How many kms has the car done?

11 minutes ago, alijanjan said:

Around 240k

You have to ask yourself it its worth it.

On 4/10/2017 at 9:50 PM, zero said:

You have to ask yourself it its worth it.

True

I've just finished putting it back together and test driven it, all seems ok. will have to give it few Ks to see how it goes, seems ok for now

ended up changing the valve stem seals, timing chain and tensioner/guide and bottom hose on the CCV (was left from when i changed the CCV as i was supplied with the wrong bottom hose)

I think this is enough preventative maintenance for the car considering the age and KMs

Thanks for your helps/comments