Sign in to follow this  
Driftracewake

E39 M5 Value

Hi Guys,

It's been a while since I've been on here but I was hoping to tap into the knowledge of the group.

I have been offered a 2002 E39 M5 with 130ks. 

Original condition with a service history (I haven't scrutinised this yet)

Silver / Black leather 

This is a model I've always admired and appreciated and I am thinking of acquiring this car.

Problem is I haven't been following the market recently. 

3 questions:

What do we think it's worth?

What have other M5s sold for recently? 

What do I need to look out for and does modern day BMW (Christchurch) know what to look for on these cars if I was to get it PPI'd? If not who in CHCH would?

I don't intend to use the car much but my Range Rove Classic needs a stablemate.

Thanks in advance 

Dan

Edited by Driftracewake

Really depends what has been done. These cars do need restorative maintenance now, and some of it is not cheap. 

Around 20k seems to be at the lower end for an ok one, teens for the rough ones, most I've seen are in the 25-30k ish range, particularly if in decent condition, spec, history etc. 

5 hours ago, Michael. said:

Really depends what has been done. These cars do need restorative maintenance now, and some of it is not cheap. 

Around 20k seems to be at the lower end for an ok one, teens for the rough ones, most I've seen are in the 25-30k ish range, particularly if in decent condition, spec, history etc. 

Bang on as above. Bought my 2003 M5 in December in the low 20's and have committed to about $6-7k in first year on a preventative/restorative maintenance programme.  Buy on history and condition.  Give the clutch a good test, load it up in 3rd or 4th gear at speed.  Parts are reasonable if you source them yourself, not through BMW.

But whatever - just buy it... your wallet may bleat a bit, but you wont... :)

• Like 1

20K - no matter how rough it is with highish kms it doesnt usually get much cheaper than this

25K - either highish kms in good condition or low kms in average condition

30K - hopeful sellers with reasonable kms but good servive history and condition

35K - those who know that these things are rare and have one with 100kms or less and full service history, all work done and well optioned. 

And anything in between. For a tidy one with good history and only 130kms id say you should jump on it if its anything under 25k. If its more than 25k then its a judgement call on whether you like the options or just want/like it enough.

• Like 2

Hang on Kyu, you missed the "if he sold it for under $20k then he must be an idiot" option.  ?

err I'll get me coat then..

• Like 2

Thanks for the replies. Where does 130ks place on the low medium high ks for these cars?

A little more info based on my viewing and test drive today.

It was ordered brand new from the UK buy a kiwi (km/h speedo). 

2 owners from new and it's just been traded in and I'm buying from a wholesaler. 

Good servcie history, no vanos noise, slight vibration (hanger bearing I suspect).

Outside is showroom condition bar a mark or two on the front bumper (to be repaired) but will need new rubber on it soon.

Inside should come up with a groom and a bit of love.

Drove well (except the vibration).

Spec is as follows:

Vehicle information

VIN WBSDE92070CB37466
Type code DE92
Type M5 (EUR)
E series E39 ()
Series 5
Type LIM
Steering RL
Doors 4
Engine S62
Displacement 5.00
Power 294
Drive HECK
Transmission MECH
Colour TITANSILBER METALLIC (354)
Upholstery PRAEGELEDER/SCHWARZ (O6SW)
Prod.date 2002-07-09
Vehicle upgrades
High-End sound system     Read more

Vehicle options
S261  Side airbags for rear passengers
S265 Tyre pressure control (TPC)
S401 Lift-up-and-slide-back sunroof, electric
S428 Warning triangle and first aid kit
S441 Smoker package
S470  Isofix-System
S508 Park Distance Control (PDC)
S521 Rain sensor
S672 CD changer for 6 CDs
S676 HiFi speaker system
L812  National version Great Britain
S850 Dummy-SALAPA
S863 Retailer Directory Europe
S877 Delete cross-pattern operation
S880 On-board vehicle literature English

Vehicle options
S210 Dynamic stability control
S216 HYDRO STEERING-SERVOTRONIC
S249 Multifunction f steering wheel
S302  Alarm system
S423  Floor mats, velours
S430 Interior/outside mirror with auto dip
S459 Seat adjuster, electric, with memory
S473 Armrest front
S488 Lumbar support, driver and passenger
S494  Seat heating driver/passenger
S500 Headlight wipe/wash/Intensive cleaning
S520 Fog lights
S522 Xenon Light
S534 Automatic air conditioning
S555 On-board computer V with remote control

Vehicle options
S661 Radio BMW Business (C43)
S710 M sports steering wheel, multifunction
S785 White direction indicator lights
S853 Language version English

Does anyone see any issues or anything I have missed? Any obvious reasons not to buy based on the info above? 

Does anyone know the car at all?

IMG_0385.JPG

IMG_0386.JPG

No, but to me it looks very attractive.  If the service history is solid and the price is right, PPI from a good independent or BMW dealer and bingo - you'll be in M5 heaven.

Well, this car is on Trademe to give you an idea of where things might be at. http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/bmw/auction-1295974088.htm 

Given what you're saying, the car sounds solid. I would be surprised if you could get one of these that didn't need a bit of work to get it perfect to be honest. 

Good ones appear to be commanding equal if not more money than bottom of the spread E60 M5s, so that can give you an idea of how likely you are to pay over the market for one at whatever they're asking. 

Its an e39 M5 - just buy it :D

If you are worried about the on-going cost of servicing and maintenance and reliability - then don't buy it :rolleyes:

disclaimer: 'reliability' is not exclusive to the e39 M5 but to most BMW's hehe 

Edited by treone
  • Like 2

Saw one towing a race car over the weekend, i can almost justify one as a tow vehicle haha

it's done 183,000kms best avoid, leave it for treone!  He needs one of these. :)

^olaf, thats not the same car as the one the OP is talking about.

5 minutes ago, qube said:

^olaf, thats not the same car as the one the OP is talking about.

D'oh!  thanks mate.  re-engaging brain.  I thought "this car's on TM" meant 'this car' - the topic of the discussion.

Edited by Olaf

One of only two sold new in NZ for 2002. Some have reliably done more than 300k miles in the US untouched. The prices of these cars have risen in the UK recently and they've held here in the last 4-5 years. They are great cars to drive and own, I'd say if it stacks up go for it.

Looks like it needs some much needed love... give it to me for a week...

I think the theme is and take it from me/us - you will have to spend coin on these things... but you won't mind doing so...

1 hour ago, Olaf said:

D'oh!  thanks mate.  re-engaging brain.  I thought "this car's on TM" meant 'this car' - the topic of the discussion.

I should have said "a similar car is on Trademe."

The spread in prices is a lot.   Some have gone for over 40k recently.   Supply is constrained so sometimes jumping in on the one in front of you is the way to go.

I reckon 25 could be a bargain, 30 ok and a bit more above if it doesn't need anything.

clutch, brakes, tyres are first up big ticket items.  Don't skimp on tyres.  Mine came with new Roadstones and I had to throw them away. I have done things like the thermostat for long term health.   Check the battery age too.

Dave has pointed out there going up in the UK where there are always examples for sale.    Well used ones have gone from 7 to11 thousand squid in two years. I think there is a growing interest in the old analogue bruiser......

• Like 1

On 10/04/2017 at 10:41 PM, Driftracewake said:

3 questions:

What do we think it's worth?

What have other M5s sold for recently? 

What do I need to look out for and does modern day BMW (Christchurch) know what to look for on these cars if I was to get it PPI'd? If not who in CHCH would?

1. It depends on what needs doing, it's a 15 year old E39. The vibration would need more investigation. Assuming that is minor and maybe needs at most an inspection 2 type of servuce i'd say late 20's.

2. Low teens to early 40's. 

3. Niggly electro-mechanical stuff goes wrong with vanos. The engine is actually pretty reliable for what was a masterpiece in its day. I'd say what mainly goes wrong is stuff associated with a heavy 15 year old e39 - Suspension, tyres, drivetrain. You can easily spend 10k plus fixing issues if you're wanting to keep it mint.

• Like 1

Well done Dan, I hope you can make the M5 meet...

2 hours ago, Driftracewake said:

Thanks everyone. I pick it up next week!!

FABULOUS.  Wow.

2 hours ago, Driftracewake said:

Thanks everyone. I pick it up next week!!

Nice work!

The big question, how much did you pick it up for?..........

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DC3 said:

Well done Dan, I hope you can make the M5 meet...

Thanks but I am now predominately based in Christchurch! Sorry I'll miss it! 

2 hours ago, 3 SERIES said:

Nice work!

The big question, how much did you pick it up for?..........

Too much (according to my wife anyway) I'm happy with the deal regardless!