Sign in to follow this  
mal6

E36 clutch

Where to get new  clutch  disc  for  my E36  328    coupe  .  The   stuffed   dual mass  flywheel is  being   swapped  over for  a  conventional  l i have  just got  C/W   pressure plate  . BNT say only have  the  disc for dual mass   type  which is different  doesnt have the anti vibration srings in it     yet wksp manual says   this model  had either  type  . 

na all 328i had dual mass . you will need to find out what flywheel you have ? whats it from ? WHAT SIZE DIAMETER DISC ETC , PICS WILL HELP

CALL ME IF YOU WANT MORE INFO , MAY HAVE OPTIONS

^^^    Turns out its an after market  clutch  for  M43/M44   engine  Sachs  product  supplied by  Clutch Systems   flywheel   &pp   currently at the  engine reconditioners  getting refaced     ,   no  numbers on the disc    cheers

^^^    Turns out its an after market  clutch  for  M43/M44   engine  Sachs  product  supplied by  Clutch Systems   flywheel   &pp   currently at the  engine reconditioners  getting refaced     ,   no  numbers on the disc    cheer                     sJust to add  the  old disc is  215  mm diameter  &  inner flywheel   srface is  220  mm diameter    is this standard size    for E40  E43   engines   ,   dont want to  geT  wrong   plate  & be stuck with it  .   cheers          (new price for  dual mass   f wheel&  clutch is over  $40000   !!!!)

Well    the box is  out & its got a lovely  clean    solid  mass  flywheel      disc is worn  cover is ok  . Its done  just on 200 k &  NZ new  so it  would be origonal .    So the   mech is  going to locate a clutch plate or get it  remade  . Guess I should have waited  for the box to  come out before buying    solid  conversion kit  .  So much  forl 328s   ALL having dual mass   f wheel  .

Hey Malcolm. Got any info on the solid conversion kit you bought? I may be interested if it suits..

Well bit of a mission   turns out my 328Is  has a  nice  lightweight  solid  flywheel    mech   thinks its   origonal  .   The  E30   f wheel   & clutch press  plate   & new   clutch  disc     bolt up  BUt  its smaller  & ring gear teeth dont mesh with the starter  . So went to   Auto  Brake &  clutch   &  bought  new kit      but  its  for  dual mass  f wheel so  had to get  another  separate    plate as well .  replaced    release   bearing too .&  skimmed the  f wheel    On road now. But the  clutch is all at the bottom of the  pedal    ,mech     says  may have to  make a spacer  for the release  bearing to  engage it   earlier  .  This car is a  96 328 Is  sport   , second 1 ive had  but its  different    , has a spoiler at top of  rear wnidow & a  wing  ,   dual airbags  &  heated  seats  . different     climate controls     .  . Although   NZ new i wonder if its  a   Sth africa  assembled ?      Ill put the   325   kit inc new plate  on Tm & the   dual   mass  plate for the 328  ,   hope to off set  the costs 

Not to be disrespectful or anything, but your lack of formatting makes it very hard to follow.

Also Brent @ BM World knows his stuff. I recommend either giving him a call and/or writing a clear list of what you actually have and a separate list of what you want.

Lots of e36s have been manual converted, so you can't rely on everything you find being factory (unless of course you have proof). Parts are also plentiful, so you shouldn't have to make a spacer or use any custom parts.

• Like 2

Tried him didnt reply  .  Its an after  market   liteweight  steel    motor     sport  flywheel  ex USA   ,  bought new  clutch cover &  plate from  Auto  Brake &  Clutch  . they   identified the  flywheel      & now have    fitted  a   new   slave cylinder but   . still   has  fairly long pedal travel   .

9 minutes ago, mal6 said:

Tried him didnt reply  .  Its an after  market   liteweight  steel    motor     sport  flywheel  ex USA   ,  bought new  clutch cover &  plate from  Auto  Brake &  Clutch  . they   identified the  flywheel      & now have    fitted  a   new   slave cylinder but   . still   has  fairly long pedal travel   .

I missed your call , tried to call back a few times , no anaswer

• Like 1

I would say the release bearing carrier is the wrong one. There are 2 types, one is 10mm longer than the other

• Like 1