Sign in to follow this  
Navin

Re-Introduction/Progress - 135i

Hey guys, finally back in a BMW after 5 or so years. Used to own a e30 325i which i had a little progress thread for somewhere on here. Have since owned a variety of japanese cars, mainly Hondas. But have just picked up a 2010 135i this morning. Have been looking for one for a while now. Got extremely lucky with finding this one, got it for a steal as a last minute deal from an old friend who was leaving the country for good today. Only found out about it last night and promptly secured it. It's got the n55 motor and DCT trans which I'd really wanted.

Plans aren't too big for it at this stage, maybe a stage 1 reflash to start with and a few subtle cosmetic changes but mainly just a weekend car, drives amazing and the gearbox is brilliant. Here's an average photo of it with the wife's gti:

PSX_20170415_154428_zpsssrrukhr_edit_149

And the track toy:

20160422_162652_zpstvemsxdv.jpg

Will get some better ones up shortly

Edited by navin117
  • Like 3

Nice one Navin - I had the pleasure of driving a 135i a couple of weekends ago, it was pretty impressive! 

very nice fleet you got there. thats a tidy looking dc2 too! they really are amazing on the track. standard b18c? any mods?

(i got a set of nice work japan or bbs wheels for your 135i if you are interested :ph34r:)

• Like 1

Haha thanks. The type r has intake, headers, full exhaust and a proper dyno tune. along with a pretty full on suspension setup with semi slicks. Heaps of fun at the track. 

I've actually been looking at wheel options for the near future. Will definitely have a look at yours. Just want to get the dct and diff serviced for peace of mind first then start improving it performance wise. Most likely going to go with a catless downpipe to start and maybe freeing up the exhaust a little

Went ahead and ordered a new set of plugs, k&n filter and a aftermarket charge pipe for it today. Wanting to do some preventative maintenance before doing the re-flash.

Also got started getting the paintwork up to my standards, will be getting it sealed for winter once i'm done

IMG-20170417-WA0010_zps7b118jrp_edit_149

• Like 1

very nice , that DCT box is great , Ive got a e89 Z4 35i with the same box , so quick and smooth .

It's absolutely brilliant. In D mode it shifts like a conventional auto but gets brutal in sport mode. Our golf gti has the dsg box too. Thought that was extremely quick until I drove this

18 hours ago, navin117 said:

Also got started getting the paintwork up to my standards, will be getting it sealed for winter once i'm done

IMG-20170417-WA0010_zps7b118jrp_edit_149

Wow!  You'll be needing to share your secrets!  

Edited by Olaf

Finally got round to taking it for a decent drive this weekend, car has been faultless. I do have some handling upgrades in mind though after driving it a bit more recently. Will be upgrading the rear swaybar first of all, going with the H&R 20mm bar and have also ordered a whole set of M3 front control arms in hope of getting more feedback from the front end as well as to try improve the turn in a bit. An LSD will be the next thing I explore but that'll be later down the track. Snapped a better pic of it with the blackline LCI'sat Hobsonville. 

P.s. whoever designed these factory runflats should be out of a job. They're horrendously harsh. Cannot wait to get rid of them

_MG_7577_zpsdinja0gq.jpg

Edited by navin117
  • Like 1

Eagle F1 Asymmetrics or Pilot Sport 4s will make your car much more pleasant to drive. Mine came with runflats too, I've found both to be excellent replacements. 

Running a tune on it? 

Edited by Matth5

I've been eyeing up the pilot sport 4s or RE-003's as replacements. Will see what my mate  can do price wise.

Yep just running the mhd stage 1 tune at the moment, will add more go fast bits once i've got it handling the way I want. It's more then enough for what the car is used for at the moment. The Type R has spoilt me when it comes to handling so will be spending a bit of time getting it right, plenty of room for improvement on these. Almost mistook the rear swaybar for a noodle.

Edited by navin117
  • Like 1

Only get the RE 003s if they're significantly cheaper. They're not at the top with the PZeros, Eagle F1 Asymmetric or Pilot Sports, they're a step below but still very good. In the US they're cheap and get rave reviews for their price level (branded as Firestone Indy 500 there), but here they might not be so cheap. 

Yes I'm on MHD stage 1 as well, it's a pretty decent amount of extra power :) 

7 minutes ago, Matth5 said:

Only get the RE 003s if they're significantly cheaper. They're not at the top with the PZeros, Eagle F1 Asymmetric or Pilot Sports, they're a step below but still very good. In the US they're cheap and get rave reviews for their price level (branded as Firestone Indy 500 there), but here they might not be so cheap. 

Yes I'm on MHD stage 1 as well, it's a pretty decent amount of extra power :) 

Yeah i've run the re-003 and eagle f1's previously and personally preferred the re-003's in terms of dry performance. Will definitely be looking at other options as all rounders

• Like 1

Few small changes, got some black kidneys. Wasn't a fan when I got the car but they grew on me. Can always revert back to stock if I get sick of em.

20170708_223513

Also got some H&R springs and spacers to fill the guards out. Haven't installed the springs yet and am in 2 minds about it due to my driveway but will make a decision shortly. With the spacers, I actually really like the factory wheels the spacers have complimented them nicely. Went with 15mm in the front and 12mm in the rear. Not the best picture:

20170716_143037

Also got a Rieger rear diffuser. Will be painting it and installing this weekend.

IMG-20170727-WA0015

Should look similar to this once installed:

images (33)

Also picked up some 5d carbon wrap, will have a go at wrapping the brushed aluminium trim in the car, this stuff seems to be the closest to the real carbon look so should turn out pretty good. Also easily reversible if it doesn't work out.

IMG-20170727-WA0017

It's all been cosmetic improvements lately, have been enjoying driving the car otherwise, have not had a single issue with it. Actually drove it daily to work for a couple weeks and was really suprised at the economy. Obc showed 10.5l/100km and that's in Auckland traffic to and from the CBD. Almost as economical as my old Honda! Have heard of a lot worse from other owners but those were mainly n54's. I've recently just done the plugs and coils so not sure if they've helped or not. Either way, i'm happy. 

Have a big trip to Europe coming up so mods will be on hold for a little while. When i'm back and the wallet recovers i'll look at finishing off the performance mods, starting with freeing up the exhaust and installing the intercooler and downpipe.

• Like 1

Is it true that running spacers is illegal without a cert, and that an insurance company can deny a claim on this basis?

39 minutes ago, zero said:

Is it true that running spacers is illegal without a cert, and that an insurance company can deny a claim on this basis?

It very well could be but I will be getting them certed once i install some coilovers towards the end of the year/early next year before the summer track days i'll be attending. Saying that though, I have done my research to make sure they are of the correct material, are hubcentric and have also used longer wheel bolts to accomodate them. So from a safety point of view, they are 100% safe

• Like 1

Painted and installed the diffuser this morning:

20170729_14380920170729_143802