Sign in to follow this  
jeremy

importing an e30

Alright fellas, i've been wanting to buy an e30 318i manual coupe since last year but every time one comes up it sells after two or so days. I am now looking at importing one. Do you guys recommend it? Do you guys know of someone who can import one for me? is it risky? I have no idea about importing e30's so maybe some of you could shed some light on it.

thanks in advance

• Like 1

You could pay above the odds for a local one and come out ahead compared to importing.  Importing is only worthwhile if the car is pretty high value, or just impossible to obtain otherwise. 

The freight and other costs will be as much or more than a local e30 318, even in manual.  You might as well look for a higher priced but tidy one locally and be prepared to pay a slight premium to grab it.

318 E30 manual advertised on Facebook right now, in the Nz BMW & AUDI Buy/Sell/Trade for $5k in  Pukekohe.  There is no way you import one cheaper. :)

By the time you pay $3000 plus for freight and pay GST on top of the car price plus freight and then pay for import fees port fees both ends plus customs inspections etc you will have a very expensive car.   If you are going to use it on the road you will need it complied and I am not sure it will meet current requirements.   Have a look on the NZTA website.  There is a category for special interest vehicles and given they are a dime a dozen they may not fit the bill.

What Geoff said above, the cost of the exercise makes it un-economic in most cases, especially for the common or garden varieties of E30 like 318i. Overall costs would be $4,000+ even if you do any work to meet compliance yourself. Adding that amount of cash onto the buy price, even if they are cheaper overseas, makes the NZ examples seem cheap I would suggest.

I brought my 325i vert over from the UK because it has been in my family since new so I know it's history plus the sentimental value attached to it, before i took the plunge and shipped it over I did look and couldn't find one as good in my eyes. Wasn't really a financial decision though.

If you wait until the car is 20 years old, like I had to with the vert, then the compliance rules become a lot less strict - all e30s should be in that bracket by now I think.  

• Like 1