Sign in to follow this  
Navin

DCT Service

Hey guys,

Just wanting to find out if anyone has had their dct transmissions serviced and their experiences with it. Picked up a 135i with the dct recently and I'm looking to get this done just because it's edging 90 000kms now but i'm finding it difficult to get any info on it. I've had one quote so far from a local bmw workshop for $1300+gst for a fluid and filter change. Is this the norm? Or is there anyone other people have used? Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

BM Workshop Botany quoted me in the region of $1000. Might have been closer to $1300, was a while ago. 

Only a few places are willing and able to do this... not part of regular servicing for BMW. 

From what I've read, at 90 000km, you don't need to rush this. There's no set interval, but I've read of people pushing 200 000km on the BMW DCTs with no issue and saying the fluid didn't even look too bad at that point. 

Edited by Matth5

Good to know, guess i'm just being a bit pedantic about it. Might just drop and top the fluid if i get too paranoid then. We've got a mk6 golf gti that i did the dsg service on recently and it was a pretty simple process. Cheers for that

From what I've read the BMW DCT service is not so simple and that's why many shops, even BMW dealers, won't do it. So make sure you know what you're getting in to before you drain anything.

Dug through my emails when I was chatting to the dealer before buying my car, a couple other places that were willing to do it were Motorservice in Panmure and Transmission Solutions. Both had never done it before at the time but were willing to. 
I didn't end up doing it because when Motorservice pulled a sample of the fluid at the pre-purchase check, they said it looked brand new as if it had been done recently. 

Edited by Matth5

Just did a e89 Z4 35i dct one the other week pretty straight forward job , oil is expensive though 

Yeah had a look at those kits. Just heard it can be a pita to get to the suction filter but might just skip that and just do the trans filter and fluid. Does not look too difficult. Have already got the pentosin fluid locally. Just need to pick up the filter

Edited by navin117
  • Like 1

Thought i'd update this. Noticed a slight weep from the trans pan so thought i'd get the whole lot done. Did the service which included a new transmission pan with the built in gasket, the suction filter and cartridge filter and 8 litres of fluid. Price wasn't too bad considering genuine parts were used,  ended up going with Auto Trans ltd in Eden Terrace. They had the job done in 2 hours.

Overall the car shifts much smoother around town and the very slight shudder it had on take off previously is completely gone. Really happy with it.

• Like 2