Sign in to follow this  
Matth5

Insurance cover for track day?

I want to take my 335i to a track session. There's a 20min session at Pukekohe for $65, on May 13th.

My insurance (Trademe Insurance) doesn't have any option to cover this.

Are there any options out there to get cover for this? If I enjoy this and want to do this more often, I'd like to switch to an insurance company that will cover track days. Any recommendations? 

I have heard of Prestigio - from memory you had to be in the "prestige group" when running with playday group and you could get insurance for the day at the track

I'd be interested to know what the conditions and price are of this.

I recently rented a car for a track day that had up to a $20,000 excess. It did cover damage to the track as well. 

NAC insurance said no. Disappointing considering all their branding with motorsport and car culture that they show off on their site.

I've got a reasonable quote from Platinum Auto Insurance that includes "Ability to apply for track/training day cover" as part of the policy. I've sent them a bunch of questions, maybe I'll switch my car insurance to them. 

I looked at the site for Prestigio. Might try them too.

Edited by Matth5

Hello. Any new developments anyone knows about here? Looking to insure a new toy :)

So far I see Platinum Insurance is still around
https://www.platinumautoinsurance.co.nz/

Prestigio is still around but under a new name - Star Insure

https://starinsure.co.nz/

I have requested quotes from both. 

Hmm maybe we should add a sticky thread for this. It's a pain to find this info otherwise :)

Edited by Matth5

Swann insurance offers track day cover plus heaps of other great options (like agreed value, first right of refusal in a write-off, roadside assist, etc).

The only restriction is they will not provide cover for a daily, so if your track car is your daily you're out of luck.

I just flicked an email through to our broker (we use Swann and Star). She replied:

"No additional cost, we just need to submit an application. 

Once the application is accepted, you just need to notify us each track day you wish to attend and we'll notify your insurer and let you know once they've confirmed. Main thing with track cover is third party liability is deleted but before each track event drivers normally sign a waiver to their right to pursue a third party.

I'll flick you through the relevant form tomorrow."

Will enquire tomorrow about if there's an increase in excess etc, otherwise it sounds too good to be true. 

30 minutes ago, Cammsport said:

I just flicked an email through to our broker (we use Swann and Star). She replied:

"No additional cost, we just need to submit an application. 

Once the application is accepted, you just need to notify us each track day you wish to attend and we'll notify your insurer and let you know once they've confirmed. Main thing with track cover is third party liability is deleted but before each track event drivers normally sign a waiver to their right to pursue a third party.

I'll flick you through the relevant form tomorrow."

Will enquire tomorrow about if there's an increase in excess etc, otherwise it sounds too good to be true. 

Yep for Star and Platinum it's true, there is just a much higher excess for anything that happens on track - 10k or so I think, which is still pretty good considering what could go wrong on a track with multiple expensive cars going fast together. And you need to notify them of each even in advance by filling in a form. They might also want you do do an advanced drivers course based on your experience. 

1 hour ago, M3AN said:

Swann insurance offers track day cover plus heaps of other great options (like agreed value, first right of refusal in a write-off, roadside assist, etc).

The only restriction is they will not provide cover for a daily, so if your track car is your daily you're out of luck.

I don't have a daily commute for work, but it'll still probably be regarded as a daily as it'll be my only car. 

Edited by Matth5

9 minutes ago, Matth5 said:

I don't have a daily commute for work, but it'll still probably be regarded as a daily as it'll be my only car. 

Yes, I fear that will be an immediate disqualifier.

Quotes and terms for Platinum and Star Insurance seem strangely similar, like a "copy my homework but change it so it's not obvious" kind of thing. Anyone know if there's a relationship between these companies? 

Also I can't find reviews for Platinum Insurance, but I can for Star and they are mostly very positive. Anyone know much about Platinum? I'm leaning towards Star due to this. 

Edited by Matth5